English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 11 December 2018, 23:04   #1
volvo_0ne

Doctor Who?

What the heck has happened to this once great show?

It is now like a platform for "Political Correctness" (but only on Earth of course, because anyone else is a Sexist/Racist/Bigot/Megalomaniac).

Whilst the idea of a female Doctor was novel, it just hasn't worked.

I feel it's not the fault of the cast, but the script writers.

It has been a shambles from episode one.

Your thoughts? (If you bothered to watch this dross)
Old 11 December 2018, 23:49   #2
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

I have seen all episodes since the "rebirth" with Christopher Eccleston.
As you write it, it is a Great Show !
My misfortune with this series is that I watch it on DVD. And French DVD are coming out only when the season is over on the TV....

Regarding the new Doctor, the actress (Jodie Whittaker) was quite good in Broadchurch. I am sure she is a good Doctor . I red that Steven Moffat left the series, so I don't know if the episodes still have the same "touch". Looks like not reading your post...

PS: did you play the C64 game ?
Old 12 December 2018, 01:51   #3
BarryB
Amigaholic

Jeez, that still going? God I left that series when Bonny fucking Langford got cast, couldn't sing so went on to prove she couldn't act as well, she should have quit after Just William, she made me scream and scream until I was sick!
Old 12 December 2018, 03:06   #4
rothers

It is the scripts, my girlfriend was watching the latest ep with me and asked if it was from Children's BBC :-/
Old 12 December 2018, 11:41   #5
zenox98
Komakino

I've watched Dr Who for my whole life and never - until this series - have I switched it off.

The cast acting is awful, the story lines too 'preachy' and episodes are just boring. Jodie Whittaker's portrayal is just flakey, which is shame. As a fellow yorkshire person I really wanted her to be good.

No wonder they have deferred the next series until 2020.
Old 12 December 2018, 11:57   #6
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Looks like I shouldn't be looking forward to seeing this new season...
Old 12 December 2018, 15:37   #7
stevsurv
Beta 1.666

I can say the new female doctor character is different! Episodes could be better.
Old 12 December 2018, 17:50   #8
rothers

I'd love to be able to say 'It's not ALL bad, check out this amazing new episode with her'... but I can't as for the first time I can remember there was not a good episode.

The best one was probably Rosa which featured a cosmic space racist but it was not great.
Old 12 December 2018, 22:26   #9
volvo_0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
I'd love to be able to say 'It's not ALL bad, check out this amazing new episode with her'... but I can't as for the first time I can remember there was not a good episode.

The best one was probably Rosa which featured a cosmic space racist but it was not great.
EXACTLY!

It seems like a "mind control" experiment which has gone spectacularly wrong.

The characters are shallow, the whole thing seems like it has an agenda (which I truely believe it has!) rather than being entertainment, which it originally was.
Old 12 December 2018, 22:35   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
EXACTLY!

It seems like a "mind control" experiment which has gone spectacularly wrong.

The characters are shallow, the whole thing seems like it has an agenda (which I truely believe it has!) rather than being entertainment, which it originally was.
And there will be an episode with the DALEKS and they will change their chant to:

DESTROY ALL MALES

Old 13 December 2018, 01:51   #11
haps
Rumpig

It was all downhill after Tom Baker finished up.

Can't really get into any of the modern series', it has lost its charm. Some of the episodes I've seen are OK, but its just not the same show.
Old 13 December 2018, 01:59   #12
AmigaWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
It was all downhill after Tom Baker finished up.

Can't really get into any of the modern series', it has lost its charm. Some of the episodes I've seen are OK, but its just not the same show.
Agreed. Tom Baker was the best. I miss the old classics.
Old 13 December 2018, 12:29   #13
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaWorld View Post
Agreed. Tom Baker was the best. I miss the old classics.
Recent ones also are not bad at all
Taking into account only how they incarnated the Doctor, I quite enjoyed (in order of preference) David Tennant & Peter Capaldi (both really close), Christopher Eccleston & at last Matt Smith.
Anyway, any series or film owes a lot to the scriptwriters, regardless of the actors' performance. So if you say this season is not entertaining and the next one is postponed to 2020, it's not good news...
Old 17 December 2018, 22:35   #14
E-Penguin
Banana

I found it a not unpleasant way to pass an hour on a Sunday evening. Certainly better than Strictly which the Mrs insisted we watch afterwards.

Still, managed to get a level of Settlers in so not all bad
Old 09 March 2019, 23:07   #15
hal
where am i ?

i stopped watching in 2010 not that the series had gone bad or anything. I just suddenly lost interest.
now all i see about the show is people shouting that if you don't like it it's because the doctor is a woman and you want her to return to the kitchen or something.
any form of entertainment that does this i will not watch, even if it was the most entertaining thing that ever entertained.
Old 11 June 2019, 00:55   #16
xanderbeanz

I think that this series has been absolutely wonderful.

I’d suggest to the OP that using the term “political correctness” as a negative term will make many people instantly ignore anything you have to say after.

“Oh, we can entirely ignore this guy, he thinks policital correctness is a problem.”
Old 11 June 2019, 01:07   #17
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I think that this series has been absolutely wonderful.

I’d suggest to the OP that using the term “political correctness” as a negative term will make many people instantly ignore anything you have to say after.

“Oh, we can entirely ignore this guy, he thinks policital correctness is a problem.”
People who ignore others because they quite correctly point to the excesses of modern society are not worth interacting with, so that's no great loss.

Nothing is above criticism and the notion that ever growing political correctness can't/shouldn't be criticized is one of the scariest developments of the 21st century.

Edit: just to be clear here, what I mean is not that all forms of political correctness are wrong, but there are elements of it that definitely are. And such things should be able to be discussed, or we risk actually going down the Orwellian route of thought crime.
Old 11 June 2019, 08:37   #18
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

There is nothing wrong with switching the Doctor to a female ....unless it is done because of "agenda"...in which case there is everything wrong with it.

Same goes for all the movies that have recently been gender switched.
Old 11 June 2019, 19:09   #19
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
People who ignore others because they quite correctly point to the excesses of modern society are not worth interacting with, so that's no great loss.

Nothing is above criticism and the notion that ever growing political correctness can't/shouldn't be criticized is one of the scariest developments of the 21st century.

Edit: just to be clear here, what I mean is not that all forms of political correctness are wrong, but there are elements of it that definitely are. And such things should be able to be discussed, or we risk actually going down the Orwellian route of thought crime.
Completely disagree.
Old 11 June 2019, 19:36   #20
roondar

Never mind. No good will come of this. Consider this post deleted.

Last edited by roondar; 11 June 2019 at 22:47. Reason: This is not worth it