English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 June 2002, 19:38   #1
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cody's 'Good Box, Bad Box'

Woo hoo! Another new thread! And another idea stolen from Amiga Power! ["The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - AP issue 10, page 70]

This time, it's 'Good Box, Bad Box'. I'm going to look at both a good example and a bad example of an Amiga game box. The good box is on the left and the bad is on the right.

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker vs Saint And Greavsie

Saint And Greavsie were two ex-footballers who had a UK TV show in the 70s/80s/or something. Jimmy White was a snooker player.

Both are similar boxes. Sports personalities on the front to advertise the game. One is crap, the other is good. Why?

Perhaps, it's the dodgy suits of Saint And Greavsie (S&G), compared to the smart snooker tuxedo of Jimmy White. Perhaps it's the cheesy grins of S&G, as opposed to the cool stare of Jimmy.

Another stupid problem of S&G is that the box is already small, but the two personalities only fill a third of the box, while Jimmy dominates the whole of his. Never make the company logo bigger than the combined heads of your two personalities. Rubbish colours on S&G too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jimmyvssaintgreavsie.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	2817  
Old 29 June 2002, 19:57   #2
oldpx

I don't see a good box here

Old 29 June 2002, 20:03   #3
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Well, it's good, relatively speaking!
Old 29 June 2002, 20:12   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

At least I didn't use this one as a good box. Steve Davis wearing a trophy as a hat:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stevedavis.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	2820  
Old 29 June 2002, 20:49   #5
oldpx

lol!! agreed on that one

Old 29 June 2002, 23:17   #6
blackcornflake

Like the thread, Cody.

Can anyone contribute? Are you taking requests?
Old 30 June 2002, 00:03   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I thought that was a good idea for an article in AP, I just found myself disagreeing with most of their assessments. Cody and I talked about this once before, only he agreed with almost (if not) all of their calls. At any rate, the concept deserves revisiting!

As for that Saint & Greavsie box...that almost deserves a thread of its own! How could the marketing department at Grandslam rationalize that this box was going to be a top seller? I try to envision some kid going into a shop and seeing that game on the shelf and diving for it to secure having the game before someone else gets it. Matter of fact, it's hard to imagine anyone having any desire to own this, other than a hardcore completist buying this game used for about a quid. Any of you guys actually bought this hideous atrocity when it was released? If so, what could have possibly been the motivation?

It's like trying to imagine an American kid rushing out to buy the Nintendo version of a "Meet The Press" quiz game or something!
Old 30 June 2002, 04:43   #8
Amiga1992

I would have used the cover for Team17's Arcade Pool. I think it looks decent enough!
Old 30 June 2002, 05:37   #9
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Well..

There's a PC game here in Brazil, called "Putz Grila", it's a trivia game hosted by a rather famous "soccer journalist", and it's selling pretty well around here.

There's another trivia game here called "Show do Milhao", based on a TV show we have here (I think the TV show is based in an English show, and I believe the show is called "The Million Game" o something like that) . It's already the most sold game here ever (It was GP2 before), and it spawned 3 sequels, a Mega-Drive version and an (unoficiall) MSX version.

And while I don't have a pic of the cover of those games (but I will look for them right now! ) , I can asure you they don't look too hot..
Old 30 June 2002, 09:06   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Yup blackcornflake - contributions and requests are welcomed...

Here's another one:

Operation Wolf vs Leatherneck

Both these boxes advertise action games with guns.

Leatherneck has terrible artwork, with one dimensional people, looking like a first attempt at drawing faces. The main guy seems to be a cradling a baby, not a gun. The colour blue doesn't make one think of action and battle either.

Operation Wolf, on the other hand, has realistic-looking graphics on the front and an in-your-face character pointing his smoking gun. The background also includes a couple more images of the main character, as well as bullet trails, helicopters and parachutists to give the impression of an action-packed game.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	opwolfvsleatherneck.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	2832  
Old 30 June 2002, 09:24   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yep...right on target, Cody. That lame Leatherneck box looks like it has a homoerotic obsession. I don't even want to know what kind of "action" it is promoting...
Old 30 June 2002, 16:00   #12
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
....I don't even want to know what kind of "action" it is promoting...

Maybe its an 'uphill gardening' simulator
Old 30 October 2002, 20:56   #13
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Rise! Rise my old friend from the depths of EAB history!

SWIV vs Silkworm

Hmmm. The difference is subtle in these two boxes. Both advertise the two-player helicopter/jeep action within the games.

However, the Silkworm box is a little too full of action. An explosion, both vehicles firing, helicopters in the background. SWIV has three main elements; jeep shooting, laser firing and helicopter being hit.

SWIV's artwork is also less cartoony and better quality that Silkworm's. There's some nice detail in the SWIV box too and nice bold lettering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	swivvssilkworm.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	3928  
Old 01 May 2004, 18:07   #14
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
Operation Wolf, on the other hand, has realistic-looking graphics on the front and an in-your-face character pointing his smoking gun. The background also includes a couple more images of the main character, as well as bullet trails, helicopters and parachutists to give the impression of an action-packed game.
Wakelin were/is a super profesional. A joy to see his cover-arts.
Old 02 May 2004, 11:04   #15
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I totally agree with the first two choices. Jimmy White's... is probably the best one can make out of a pure photo cover. Leatherneck is just laughable. However, I quite like Silkworm's box. SWIV is probably a little better, but Silkworm's is hardly 'bad'.
Old 02 May 2004, 11:36   #16
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Creosote
However, I quite like Silkworm's box. SWIV is probably a little better, but Silkworm's is hardly 'bad'.
I personally like the Silkworm box better.

I edited this post to explain why:

Admitedly, the artist in the SWIV box is more talented. But here's why I think Silkworm is better.

Somebody who knows nothing of the 2 games could think:

Silkworm - "A helicopter game, there's gonna loads of explosions. I like shooting things and I like explosions"

SWIV - "Is it a tank game? Or a helicopter game? Is it a simulator? What does SWIV stand for anyway? Hope it's not like SEUCK !! What is that thing, is is it a tank or a Jeep? Oh, hold on - look there's Saint & Greavsie next to it....yuk...crap photo....but hey I like watching Saint & Greavsie....I like sports quiz games....I'll pick that up and read the back....."

Last edited by Jim; 02 May 2004 at 11:43.