English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 October 2014, 13:06   #1
Knight94

Problems with new kickrom 3.9 and BVision

Hey everyone, so I decided to start burning some custom boot chips for my amigas. And before the hazing starts: yes I do physically own the 3.9 software and actually several sets of 3.1 chips.

Ok so I have no problems burning the chips. I have followed mfilos posting in regards to burning them.

http://www.mfilos.com/2010/12/guide-...start.html?m=1

In fact my first chip is exactly how he has it in his blog.

Now the computer is a desktop PPC 060/240 with BVision, CF card setup. And when I insert the new ROMs the computer does boot up all the way. In fact I can comment out some lines for BPPCFix and change the Set patch to NOROMUPDATE. And it all works!

Here's the issue. Iwhen my computer boots it does engage the bvision and the workbench screen is even showing through the bvision. But,

I HAVE NO SCREENMODES!

If I go into the screen modes settings all it gives me options for it PAL. I go into CXMode and try to test settings. The board is found (it should since it is being used) but when I try to test a screen if states :cannot open test mode.

It is not a software issue I believe because I can take the 3.9roms out swap the 3.1's back in and presto. My screen modes for by CVision are there.

So is there something in the new files that I am adding that maybe I shouldn't? Maybe it needs to 3.1 parts to start and then patches over them? Anyone have a setup like this that can help. I have another setup GREX in a Tower with the same ROMS. I have no issues with that machine.

Regards
Old 31 October 2014, 13:10   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You need to update CybergraphX to be compatible with OS39 exec.library, which will then list the screenmodes properly.
Old 31 October 2014, 13:14   #3
zipper

Do you have boingbags added? They need the latest CGX to show the modes.
http://powerup.amigaworld.de/download.php?id=9
Old 31 October 2014, 13:31   #4
Knight94

I am using BB2 for the ROM update. And I thought I had the latest cgx drivers. I have that version of CGX downloaded. Just not sure if installed. I will check
Old 31 October 2014, 13:32   #5
Knight94

I know I am using CGX 4. But not at home to check which version.
Old 31 October 2014, 13:37   #6
Knight94

So without the new ROMs and using the 3.1 ROMs, with the standard 3.9 bb2 startup, why would the screen modes show there then? But not with the newer ROMs. Because am I not just getting rid of a reboot in the startup and loading the same setpatch files into resident memory?
Old 31 October 2014, 14:08   #7
thomas

Like Mad-Matt wrote it is the version of exec.library which matters. CGX misbehaves if the version is not 39 or 40 unless you install one of the latest release candidates of CGX 4.2.

The screen modes are still there, they are just not shown in the list. So if you saved a CGX screen mode before, it continues to work. If you know the mode ID and are able to specify it somewhere, it will work, either. You just cannot select one from a list.
Old 31 October 2014, 15:49   #8
Knight94

Well it worked!

Apparently I hadn't installed the latest version. Thanks Mad Matt and Zipper for telling me and giving me the info for the latest drivers.

And thanks Thomas for a good explanation of what was going on.

Last edited by Knight94; 31 October 2014 at 16:01.