English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 June 2004, 18:50   #1
Melvein

"Software failure"

From time to time I get the message "software failure" when playing a game on WinUAE.

My question is: Does this has to do with the disk image itself, or is it because of some setting in the emulator? If it is the emulator, what could be the cause for the error? Has it to do with memory settings or is it something else?
Old 22 June 2004, 09:51   #2
thomas

Well, you should tell us the complete message. Especially the error code is of interrest as it contains information about the cause.

Best proposal I can give without the information is to check for which Amiga model the game was made initially and then adjust WinUAE's settings to emulate exactly this model. Example settings can be downloaded from www.back2roots.org. The site also lists the model for each game.
Old 25 June 2004, 18:41   #3
Melvein

The exact error message (this time) was ”Software failure. Press left mouse button to continue. Error: 8000 0004 Task: 00002E2C”. This happened while I was trying to load ”Barbarian”, I don’t know if the error code has been different on other games I have tried.
Old 25 June 2004, 21:23   #4
TikTok

It is usally the first number that is the most important. I can't remember what that exact error message is off the top of my head (CPU related?), but there are some good programs on Aminet (www.aminet.net) for decoding the messages. Just do a search for "Guru". Guru3.0 is a program I used to use. These will require a working Workbench setup however.

Alternatively there are also a few emulation related websites that explain the codes. Try amiga.emugaming.com/guruguide.html.

Once you get the meaning, you can use it to adjust WinUAE's settings. For example, if the error indicates an illegal instruction, you know that the program is most likely with the CPU you have chosen in WinUAE, and so on.