English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 July 2012, 21:25   #1
keitha1200

Warning about buying from ebay/car-bootie

Bought this power supply as a replacement, the guy promised me it worked fine

Anyhow tonight i decided to test it (bought it ages ago) anyhow, the cable tie bit was loose on the plug (two wee screws were loose), thought to myself 'I'll quickly' tighten them up and check the fuse' (as their there for a reason)

Here's what I discovered:

Needless to say i haven't bothered trying it!!!
Old 10 July 2012, 22:02   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Could you upload somewhere else? Maybe http://imgur.com/
Old 10 July 2012, 22:14   #3
keitha1200

[edit]

Last edited by keitha1200; 11 July 2012 at 07:00.
Old 10 July 2012, 22:43   #4
petshopfanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitha1200 View Post
Bought this power supply as a replacement, the guy promised me it worked fine

Anyhow tonight i decided to test it (bought it ages ago) anyhow, the cable tie bit was loose on the plug (two wee screws were loose), thought to myself 'I'll quickly' tighten them up and check the fuse' (as their there for a reason)

Here's what I discovered:

Needless to say i haven't bothered trying it!!!
what is wrong with this power supply ?

Old 10 July 2012, 22:52   #5
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by petshopfanboy View Post
Old 10 July 2012, 23:25   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I also dont understand. We have different connectors here in central Europe.
Old 10 July 2012, 23:32   #7
roy bates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I also dont understand. We have different connectors here in central Europe.

here in the uk the brown is live and the blue is neutral.(the oppisite to whats in the pictures)

the brown goes to the fuse.
Old 10 July 2012, 23:59   #8
jimbob

I'm attempting to repair my workmates ~2007 imac with blown PSU at the moment. It has live and neutral reversed at an internal connector between the AC inlet and the PSU board. No way to discover the fault without a serious dismantling. Like you say !

So if the PSU board fuse blows, (which it has), much of the PSU and who knows what else in a faulty condition remains live. Great bit of QC there!
Old 11 July 2012, 00:19   #9
roy bates

to be perfectly honest ive seen loads of plugs wired like this over the years,some of them where wired by my wife and my family lol.

actaully its best to check everything over before you plug it in anyway,no matter where or who you got it from.

i had a power supply supply that was smashed from the inside the pcb was smashed in half!(yes thats right!) with no visible cracks or scratches on the outside of the case luckily i heard the inards rattling about before i plugged it in.

Last edited by roy bates; 11 July 2012 at 00:28.
Old 11 July 2012, 01:30   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Well thats an interesting way of wiring up a plug in the UK.

for most applications this is epically wrong, the Live (brown) and Neutral (Blue) are wired incorrectly - However in the case of this particular plug-pack (the Amiga Power Supply) it wont matter as its expecting AC voltage.
Old 11 July 2012, 07:07   #11
keitha1200

Pretty unbelievable how silly people can be (mixing up the live and the neutral), its a little like not being able to tell the difference between your 'left and' your 'right' but more dangerous

Timely reminded about buying second-hand electrical gear
Old 11 July 2012, 08:56   #12
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Makes me think I oughta check some of the PSUs I have obtained. One I junked as dead. One makes a nice fizzing sound (switched that off quick and won't use) but the others are good.

Of course the fizzer could have similar problems but I wonder what else might cause a fizz/shorting sound? Any ideas from the gurus?
Old 11 July 2012, 09:08   #13
Jope
-

Swapping live and neutral will not cause your PSU to fizz.. Most likely a component or solder joint has failed.

I've repaired a few noisy Amiga power bricks by just reflowing all the joints.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:14   #14
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Much easier here as these cords in central Europe have no fuse inside and thus they are mostly not dissasemblable.
Old 11 July 2012, 09:18   #15
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Swapping live and neutral will not cause your PSU to fizz.. Most likely a component or solder joint has failed.

I've repaired a few noisy Amiga power bricks by just reflowing all the joints.
I think time to ask my son to have a play.... His tally so far is one dead Xbox1 ("Sure Dad, I can solder, let me fit that mod chip")
Old 11 July 2012, 10:25   #16
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Over here we have symmetrical plugs, you can plug it in either way, switching live and neutral and nothing bad happens.

This is not as dangerous as you make it seem, but I guess since yours is keyed, it is good practice to wire it correctly.. :-)
I think the whole system must be designed a bit differently if you can swap live and neutral safely. In the UK all the appliance fuses and mains circuit breakers are, (supposed to be), on the live conductor.

The danger if live and neutral are switched is that everything will probably appear to be fine but you are one fault closer to a deadly situation. A neutral to earth fault in some appliance with an earthed chassis for example is now a live to earth fault and is unfused. Very dangerous.
Old 11 July 2012, 11:45   #17
diablothe2nd

I spotted that error right away! I also cringed at the amount of bare wire showing from each pin. I always try to wire mine with no stray or bare wires visible.

Surely though as AC flows both ways, back and forth (50 times a second in the UK) it wouldn't matter which way you wire it? dont AC to DC converters use the four diodes in a square shape to direct the current to a single direction? if i remember my school electronics lessons correctly the "diode diamond" as we called it, didn't care which way we fed the AC.
Old 11 July 2012, 16:50   #18
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I think the whole system must be designed a bit differently if you can swap live and neutral safely. In the UK all the appliance fuses and mains circuit breakers are, (supposed to be), on the live conductor.

The danger if live and neutral are switched is that everything will probably appear to be fine but you are one fault closer to a deadly situation. A neutral to earth fault in some appliance with an earthed chassis for example is now a live to earth fault and is unfused. Very dangerous.
Ah yes, I forgot all about that main loop style wall power wiring you had there. Now it makes more sense.. I'll delete my misinformation post, I don't want to encourage people to disregard that.
Old 11 July 2012, 23:06   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by petshopfanboy View Post
LMFAO, trust me I have seen worse, try the earth in neutral position.

Reversing the live and neutral will work in most cases aslong as the device can take the negative going wave first.
Old 12 July 2012, 13:43   #20
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

but, its not unfused according to photo.