English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 July 2019, 12:19   #121
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
A TV will likely do a better job of de-interlacing than a computer LCD.
I have yet to see any LCD monitor that will do any kind of deinterlacing on a DVI/HDMI signal (is it even supported?). Most monitors should show a flickering picture though, and with games like Slam Tilt it can work quite well because when it switches to interlaced mode (multi-ball), it will often do so instantly so you are not playing blind for a second until the monitor resyncs to the new resolution.
I would not use an interlaced mode in WB though.
Old 20 July 2019, 17:58   #122
JohnFante

First of all, thank you for the advice so far

I think a big part of my problems is related to 1) I do not really understand the Amiga 600 graphical system and how you configure/optimize it. 2) The OSSC menu systems many, many options and structure are not my friend ….

My goal is – until I can get my hands on a Vampire … - to get a reasonable high-resolution (around 640x512) WB going (with at least 8 colours - I am running MagicWB atm.). Have not had any problems with games/demoes so far. They just rock and roll with the default settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Did you try the setting from post #0?

It is a little more tricky to get a decent image with a SCART cable compared to using the VGA input since SCART uses composite sync instead of separate H+V sync. It should still be possible to get a pixel-perfect image with SCART though, but I normally use a VGA cable with a RGB-VGA converter.

A good way to check for synchronization is to set the backdrop in WB to the alternating pattern - the one that looks like the attached. If you get vertical lines, your vertical resolution is off and vice versa for horizontal. If the entire screen flickers, you have a phase or noise problem.
I have tried most of the settings from post 0. Most of them are max 4 colours on my A600 and for the rest the settings do not produce a good image. Often very dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Regarding interlace - the OSSC is not designed to provide high quality de-interlacing - it can manage basic bob-deinterlacing but that's about it. Instead you can tell it to pass-through the interlaced signal to the display (rather than process it itself) which lets the display handle the deinterlacing, but then it's left to what you're display can manage. A TV will likely do a better job of de-interlacing than a computer LCD.
Tried on a TV via scart. The flickering is – as you suggested - much less, but the quality is at the same time not as good as on the OSSC …. Also tried passthru on the OSSC but my TV (that also has a DVI connection does not like that=no picture) and on my IIyama LCD the picture is still flickering. So passthru is not an option for me.

Any advice for the settings for a good monitor driver that can at least run WB in 640x512 in 8 colours?
Old 20 July 2019, 18:18   #123
demolition
Unregistered User

640x512 is PAL interlaced which will always look bad on an LCD. Even with deinterlacing it will still look bad when things are moving.

ECS can do 640x480 non-interlaced (Productivity mode) but it is limited to 4 colors so I think you need to decide whether you want resolution, >4 colors or no flicker.

Here's how to enable Productivity mode:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=949502&postcount=17
Old 20 July 2019, 19:00   #124
JohnFante

Quote:
640x512 is PAL interlaced which will always look bad on an LCD. Even with deinterlacing it will still look bad when things are moving.

ECS can do 640x480 non-interlaced (Productivity mode) but it is limited to 4 colors so I think you need to decide whether you want resolution, >4 colors or no flicker.

Here's how to enable Productivity mode:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=949502&postcount=17
You are probably right. I have tried messing around with Multiscan productivity mode but the quality is not very good.

The best I can get is this:

With these settings:

H. samplerate: 960 (otherwise the picture is to dark)
H. synclen: 107
H. active: 724
V. active:494
H. backporch: 183
V. backporch: 28

Sampling fase does not really do much ...

Either I do not know what I am doing (very likely) or my setup does not really like anything except the default settings.

I think it is back to interlaced ....
Old 20 July 2019, 20:22   #125
demolition
Unregistered User

Did you try to set the checkerboard backdrop? It makes it so much easier to see what is happening since any error will be massively amplified that way.
Old 21 July 2019, 10:20   #126
JohnFante

Quote:
Did you try to set the checkerboard backdrop? It makes it so much easier to see what is happening since any error will be massively amplified that way.
I have used the checkerboard backdrop but it does not really make it a lot easier - possible because I do not know what the different settings do precisely

Can you/somebody shed some light on that?

And once again thank you for helping a OSSC noob ....
Old 11 August 2019, 20:03   #127
aeberbach

Words of advice if ordering an OSSC - buy the remote!

You can buy the same remote on eBay but it isn’t programmed. You can’t program it without a working remote - if you have a compatible remote (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic are not but NEC and maybe some others are) you can do it but it will take hours.

I don’t have a working remote - the remotes were out of stock when I bought the OSSC, so I figured I would pick one up but it isn’t so easy. Basic video works OK without, but I still haven’t been able to apply all the settings in this thread to get the most out of my OSSC. This wasn’t very clear anywhere when I decided to get one.
Old 12 August 2019, 07:35   #128
jarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
Words of advice if ordering an OSSC - buy the remote!

You can buy the same remote on eBay but it isn’t programmed. You can’t program it without a working remote - if you have a compatible remote (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic are not but NEC and maybe some others are) you can do it but it will take hours.

If my memory serves me right you do not need to program the remote to send correct signals; instead you can program the OSSC to detect whatever remote is sending out (provided remote uses compatible protocol) and you do not need stock remote for that. Hence, I do not recall that there would be any need for stock remote ? Also, when I did programming, it took merely minutes, not hours. What exactly did you do?
Old 12 August 2019, 12:17   #129
aeberbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarp View Post
If my memory serves me right you do not need to program the remote to send correct signals; instead you can program the OSSC to detect whatever remote is sending out (provided remote uses compatible protocol) and you do not need stock remote for that. Hence, I do not recall that there would be any need for stock remote ? Also, when I did programming, it took merely minutes, not hours. What exactly did you do?

If you have a remote that can speak the protocol the OSSC wants you are OK - as long as it is full-featured and can send all the codes you might want to program. Then you need to go through and press a key for every single feature, and confirm by pressing it twice in sequence in response to what the OSSC is showing on the display in program mode. I have Samsung, Panasonic and Sony remotes in the house and the OSSC recognizes none of them It does recognize codes sent from the one universal remote I have when it is set to NEC mode , but the remote that I can set to NEC codes only has about 8 buttons, one of those minimal granny remotes - so there is no way I can program all of the codes I need. And the Chunghop remote that VGP sell pre-programmed for the OSSC cannot be told to send all its keys as NEC as some Chunghop products can, it can only receive and learn signals from a remote that you already have.

I did think for a while about whether anyone would miss the NEC remote I saw lying in a conference room at work today... but I ordered the remote from VGP and it's on the way. For under 10 euros it's worth it.
Old 12 August 2019, 12:54   #130
jarp

Ah I see, trouble is finding remote which works or teaching programmable remote to send out codes with are OSSC compatible. Thanks for clarification!
Old 04 May 2020, 17:13   #131
Pyromania

I can't get my OSSC to sync with my Playstation monitor and it works fine with the Amiga RGB component adaptor. I just got the OSSC today.
Old 04 May 2020, 17:21   #132
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

What cable do you use ?
OSSC needs a clean sync signal
Your monitor says "out of range" ?
Is the input recognized on the OSSC ? AV1:240p or anything else ?
Old 04 May 2020, 17:23   #133
Pyromania

Amiga RGB to Scart. The main screen of the OSSC comes up fine in greyscale. I also tried it from the Amiga Component adapter which works fine going into the component port on the same Sony LCD. I want to use the OSSC to get a better looking Amiga output. Monitor did say no sync, yes.
Old 04 May 2020, 17:24   #134
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

RGB to scart is fine

What is displayed on the OSSC LCD ?

SCART input is AV1 on OSSC

It should be AV1 : RGBs with the resolution
Old 04 May 2020, 17:28   #135
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Do you have the remote ?

You have to change the line multiplier to see if it syncs

Press the LineMult.Mode key then key 2 to set the multiplier by 2 and see if it works

Is your LCD FullHD 1920x1080 ?

Does the OSSC recognize the input resolution or says "no sync" on AV1 ?

Last edited by Rochabian; 04 May 2020 at 17:33.
Old 04 May 2020, 17:33   #136
Pyromania

OSSC sees the 15.73kHz signal, how do I get it to scan convert?
Old 04 May 2020, 17:37   #137
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

Use the remote as said above to change scan multiplicator
->Key Linemult.Mode (TV/AV) then key 2 or 3 to change multiplicator ( for X2 or X3)
X2 or x3 mode should work

Last edited by Rochabian; 04 May 2020 at 17:46.
Old 04 May 2020, 17:43   #138
Rochabian
The Big White Cat

This is what i get from a SX32 RGB port to SCART with PAL interlaced

For me i'm in X2 mode because in X3 my TV is out of sync
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200504_174018.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	67193  

Last edited by Rochabian; 04 May 2020 at 17:50.
Old 04 May 2020, 18:19   #139
Pyromania

I actually got it to work now. The problem was the Amiga must be turned on last. Output looks great too once I adjust the scan lines.
Old 04 May 2020, 18:49   #140
dreadnought

Can you post some photos (from games) when you have time? I'm curious how it looks like.