English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 June 2009, 22:10   #1
Hobbe

OpenAL questions

1. Which one provides the best performance?
2. Which one provides the best compatibility/accuracy?
Old 23 June 2009, 22:22   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps none.. "generic" openal means it is dsound emulated only.

Portaudio asio + asio4all probably give best results (unfortunately other portaudio modes can be unstable)
Old 23 June 2009, 22:28   #3
Hobbe

Asio4ALL, wasn't it for midi?
Old 23 June 2009, 22:29   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

No
Old 23 June 2009, 22:34   #5
Hobbe

Alright, just what should I do in order to get this Portaudio/asio thing working with WinUAE?
Old 24 June 2009, 01:39   #6
Hobbe

Got it working, but I was wondering if I should modify ASIO4ALL's settings to get the best out of it? sorry, I know basically nothing about the way it works with WinUAE.

I've used it before with my midi piano + virtual synthesizers, and I managed latencies so low (without crackling or any undesirable side effects) they were virtually inexistent, but I have no idea if this has any effect on WinUAE.
Old 24 June 2009, 07:39   #7
ancalimon
Supernormal

Hobbe: simply only enable devices that you're gonna use, and lower the latency as much as possible to the point where no crackling is heard. I use it to play guitar using my onboard sound with low latency.
Old 24 June 2009, 15:07   #8
Hobbe

Thanks ancalimon. I played around a lil bit but it apperas that the buffer settings are falling in conflict. WinUAE has it's own, ASIO4ALL has it's own, and *sometimes* a buffer size of 4 gives me lower latencies than a buffer size of 2? also, I suspect my ASIO4ALL is not being properly integrated since modifying the settings has no noticeable effect on latency/quality. I can tell the differences right away when using my virtual synthesizers, so this might indeed be a WinUAE-exclusive problem.

A few things I'm a 100% certain of:

1. I haven't managed to get past below a buffer size of 2 with ASIO4ALL without experiencing severe crackling,

2. That's also the lowest I can go with plain DS.

3. WDM-KS works like a charm. I can set a buffer size of 1 without any negative side effects, but there's a catch: portaudio_x86.dll will always crash WinUAE on exit (will report that later if there's any interest) but I can live with that considering how good it works for me
Old 24 June 2009, 15:20   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WDM-KS is unfortunately buggy in portaudio. WDM-KS and WASAPI work really well but portaudio isn't fully debugged yet

(this problem has nothing to do with winuae)
Old 24 June 2009, 15:51   #10
Gaula92

and what about those sound dropouts I've got with ASIO4ALL?
It happens me every 5-10 minutes, a little dropout.
It only happens with vsync enabled. Could it be because of asio4all, or maybe winuae's sync is not totally right? I get perfect graphics & scroll: only this little dropout is remaining (in basic Amiga 500 mode, of course)

[EDIT] should I install Vista for WASAPI instead of ASIO4ALL to see if those sound dropouts dissapear with that API?
I don't want to lose that much time, so please, any info appreciated. I suspect from Toni's words that WASAPI will only make thinks worse...and going from XP to Vista, and back to XP is pure masochism....
Thanks!

Last edited by Gaula92; 24 June 2009 at 15:59.
Old 24 June 2009, 16:17   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Only directsound have resync support (drop samples/duplicate samples to keep video and audio in sync), vsync especially will get out of sync, sooner or later.

Non-vsync modes sync video to audio, so it "simply" works (frame rate gets adjusted depending on sound), vsync mode syncs audio to video (video can't be adjusted so sound must follow video)

WASAPI: download Windows 7 RC (it is freely available). WASAPI does not (at least I haven't noticed) have crashing bugs like WDM-KS.

Note that you can't upgrade from XP to 7 (Xp->vista->7 upgrade works and you do not need Vista keys, only media)

I personally recommend to ignore Vista completely, Windows 7 is proper fixed Vista
Old 24 June 2009, 17:19   #12
Gaula92

ok, so what would be a solution for vsync modes?
If audio is synced to video in vsync modes, and I am getting that ocassional sound dropout, it means audio is NOT properly synced to video in vsync modes...(those droputs ONLY happend in vsync modes: that's something I've confirmed for moths now).

And since it's a sync problem, WASAPI won't help....am I wrong?

I've also played around with ouput frequencies: at 22050Hz, the dropout is less noticeable: at 44-48Khz, it makes the game/demo/tracker stall for a second while sample repeats, so it's more noticeable.
Old 24 June 2009, 20:20   #13
Hobbe

That's some interesting information. So, would it be technically possible to add re-sync capabilities to WDM-KS? that sounds about perfect, even though I have yet to experience desyncing in WinUAE, but if it happened, I'd much rather switch back to DS and deal with a lil bit of latency than have my framerate molested