English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 09 December 2020, 04:06   #421
earok

Great! I'll let you know when I've got a build for you to try.

Transition is planned but it isn't there yet. I haven't quite decided whether to support different transitions from idle-to-walking and walking-to-idle, or just make it so that the walking-to-idle transitions are just idle-to-walking reversed.
Old 09 December 2020, 09:11   #422
Mixel

Exciting!

I’d be pleased with either option.. but the second sounds a bit more flexible.. For walking it makes sense to reverse them but for games with fast running particularly it would be nice to have you sort of skid, etc?

I need to look into how animation scripting works but how doable is “I’m standing really close to an edge so I wobble precariously” type stuff? (Not for my project probably, but someone probably needs it.)
Old 09 December 2020, 10:30   #423
earok

Good point! I'll have to keep thinking about it.

Regarding standing close to edge, here's how I would approach it personally with the current engine (no guarantee this would work in practice):
- Create a special block for triggering that specific animation. Probably separate ones for left/right
- Place those blocks a tile or two to the left or right of either edge.
- Make it so the collision event for those blocks is that it plays the wobble animation. (some slight code complications here in regards to make it only trigger when you're standing and not jumping/falling, also you only want the animation to start if it isn't already playing, but those should be able to be handled)

If the player's collision width was slightly wider than sixteen pixels, you could make a one tile gap between an edge and the special animation trigger block. This way, it'd only trigger when you were right on the edge. Otherwise, if the player had a really narrow collision width, you could put it closer.

Psst.. can I post that latest video of yours to the Scorpion facebook page?
Old 09 December 2020, 10:45   #424
Mixel

Ah! That sounds like a good way to do it.. I'm almost tempted to try it but it's.. very low down the list of things I should be implementing, if at all.

And yes - generally, moving forward it's safe to assume you can post anything I post about it anywhere at all. (you made the difficult parts anyway, lol, only seems fair) - at some point I'm going to start sharing things selectively to avoid spoilers but that's a looong.. looooooooooong way off.

Oh no prepare for the noobiest of questions.. . (ed: i fixed the dialog problem!)

Feature request(/"am i missing something again?") tiime! Some easy way of doing ducking animations(?), similar to how SOTB, Turrican, Leander deal with it?

I feel like I’m railroading your thread with petty support reqs when this is really more of a project update thread.

Last edited by Mixel; 16 December 2020 at 00:31.
Old 22 December 2020, 09:02   #425
earok

Quick update:

I'm getting closer to launching the Unity version of the editor, along with the new sample game (will probably launch the game in it's own thread as it's a complete game, albeit a very short one). I've been giving Mixel alpha versions of the editor and he's been helpful with highlighting engine bugs, so I'm feeling pretty confident about finally getting the Unity Editor out there, I may aim for a Christmas day release.

After that, I'll take another look at the Backbone importer to get the port of TOG finished.

Also, check out Mixel's character combat. Technically, Scorpion doesn't support ducking characters out of the box (yet), but as with most things it can be done with clever use of the 'codeblocks' system.

Old 22 December 2020, 11:24   #426
viddi

Old 22 December 2020, 12:24   #427
nikosidis

Very nice
Looking forward to this. Great job!
Old 24 December 2020, 22:54   #428
earok

Cheers

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-ed...ive/master.zip

Uploaded the Unity version of the editor (as an standard exe, a Unity install is not required), along with the complete project source for Super Go Down The Hole.

Merry Christmas.

Video covering the ins-and-outs of the new Editor.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by earok; 25 December 2020 at 01:03.
Old 28 December 2020, 16:06   #429
Mixel

Congrats on this launch I'm absolutely loving working in the Unity build.. (though Im in asset creation mode at the moment)

One dumb question.. If I accidentally selected the wrong .exe when setting up the "Run in FS-UAE" button, how do I re-select the right .exe?

Also is there not a way to view standardlibrary.codeblock in the editor anymore? I used that to figure out a few things before.
Old 28 December 2020, 23:13   #430
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixel View Post
Congrats on this launch I'm absolutely loving working in the Unity build.. (though Im in asset creation mode at the moment)

One dumb question.. If I accidentally selected the wrong .exe when setting up the "Run in FS-UAE" button, how do I re-select the right .exe?

Also is there not a way to view standardlibrary.codeblock in the editor anymore? I used that to figure out a few things before.

Great!

I do need to do a proper solution for it but just renaming the wrong executable (or the folder that it's in, or even moving the folder) should be enough to force it to reselect when you click the button next.

There isn't currently a way to view the standardlibrary, I should add that back in.
Old 29 December 2020, 04:05   #431
breech

The new app looks great, just needs some creative people to try it out
Old 29 December 2020, 08:39   #432
earok

Well.. creative people are starting to try it out! The past few weeks there's been an uptick in interest. Hopefully it'll continue to grow in interest as more and more projects and demos are created with it.

Posted an update to https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos with the following fixes:

- Reimplemented Backbone import.
- Output includes uncrunched version of the executable (large but works on everything) as well as the crunched version (small but won't work from CD32 ISO, maybe in other places too).
- Fixed serious bug with the "Bar" element on the UI.
- Added the ability to reset the paths for FSUAE and WinUAE.
Old 30 December 2020, 00:01   #433
earok

Experimenting with slopes.

Old 30 December 2020, 02:34   #434
Retro1234
Phone Homer

how are you doing the collision for slopes etc?
Old 30 December 2020, 03:15   #435
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
how are you doing the collision for slopes etc?
Each slope has 16 bytes describing the height of each column of pixels. From there, it's a simple lookup of where the bottom of the player is VS where the top of the tile is.
Old 30 December 2020, 03:33   #436
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Nice
I always thought I would do a palette check but that would be slow in realtime so I would palette check a tile once record the data in an array that then could be checked in realtime, something like that, one of those things I never got round to trying though.
Old 30 December 2020, 04:14   #437
earok

Ah, yeah - palette lookup would be slow, unless you've reserved half the palette for platforms, then you could just check one bit in a single bitplane to see if it's a platform or not
Old 30 December 2020, 11:25   #438
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I mean with the built in palette commands.
I think games like superfrog etc do use 2 bitplanes to check
but if your tiles are in Raw data you can just treat it like any data and check it that way anyway.

anyway thanks for the replies and interesting stuff.
Old 02 January 2021, 05:57   #439
earok

No worries!

Scorpion 2021.1 is out, with slopes and improved animation looping options.

Explanation video:

[ Show youtube player ]

Downloads:

https://github.com/earok/scorpion-editor-demos
Old 02 January 2021, 11:20   #440
spotUP

Can you do a mac build of the editor?
We would like to try it out but we are on Macs!