English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 December 2010, 21:23   #81
kamelito
Zone Friend

The next step might be still doing stuff in 68k but convert it to C with a tool (by contacting theses guys maybe : http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5276 or http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...st=15&start=15)

Things like jsr drawsprites could still contains Amiga code but on the C parts it will just call a function that do the same thing. This way it'll eliminate the need of an emulator.

Kamel
Old 26 December 2010, 21:39   #82
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
The next step might be still doing stuff in 68k but convert it to C with a tool (by contacting theses guys maybe : http://www.devmaster.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5276 or http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.p...st=15&start=15)

Things like jsr drawsprites could still contains Amiga code but on the C parts it will just call a function that do the same thing. This way it'll eliminate the need of an emulator.

Kamel
That is always a possibility in the future, I don't have a problem with that as it will undoubtedly speed up the running of whatever game is playing.

Just for the moment, need to get something up and running so that those that are interested keep that interest maintained.
Old 26 December 2010, 23:22   #83
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
That is always a possibility in the future, I don't have a problem with that as it will undoubtedly speed up the running of whatever game is playing.

Just for the moment, need to get something up and running so that those that are interested keep that interest maintained.
Sure I just write it down here so it'll serve as a sort of memory, in case I forget.

Kamel
PS I ask one of the guy in the forum I posted if he can share its tool. Its a former Amiga game programmer.
Old 27 December 2010, 08:45   #84
Vairn
The Grim-Button

Android hmm, I don't actually have an android device.
Are there specific Android revisions your thinking about targeting?
From the few people who I know have done Android coding, there are a lot of issues about supporting most/all devices, more so then with the iPhone.

There are only 4 files atm that are iPhone specific (Graphics, Sound, GUI, and Input) everything else is done in C, so it wont be a hard port, to other platforms.

I shall look into getting the Android SDK, all I remember about it is that it uses Eclipse.

For now I shall finish the emu core first though, and make a windows "port" for testing/debug. I don't use SDL though, so It wont just be a recompile. Then port it to other platforms hehe.
Old 27 December 2010, 12:33   #85
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vairn View Post
Android hmm, I don't actually have an android device.
Are there specific Android revisions your thinking about targeting?
From the few people who I know have done Android coding, there are a lot of issues about supporting most/all devices, more so then with the iPhone.

There are only 4 files atm that are iPhone specific (Graphics, Sound, GUI, and Input) everything else is done in C, so it wont be a hard port, to other platforms.

I shall look into getting the Android SDK, all I remember about it is that it uses Eclipse.

For now I shall finish the emu core first though, and make a windows "port" for testing/debug. I don't use SDL though, so It wont just be a recompile. Then port it to other platforms hehe.
Android any any popular devices really mate, you tell us what is likely to be ready first, and we can work around you and do a version for that device first.

I mention Android as its the big competitor to Apple and they are less strict about what you can or cannot do.
Old 27 December 2010, 17:32   #86
Photon

Unless great strides of progress have been made for the ARM ports of misc. -UAE, I'd go for the same idea but for machines with the most mature emulation. Even if you work out some bundle-preconfigged-tested-emu-with-game scheme, they could still get a small pixly screen in the middle of their bigscreen phone with slick graphics, frame stutter, crash or soundbuffer-stutter.

I understand the ideas stands or falls with the exploding-mobile-games-market thingy, but... I also think the selling-potential of the Amiga game will become about the same numbers as regular newly-released games for Amiga, when they are put on the mobile games market and are compared to what is there already, for free or for cheap. Only Amiga lovers like us will love Amiga-games on iPhone etc, and then you could simply make an Amiga-game with higher CPU-requirements? That would broaden the market to 'everyone with a PC or fast Amiga' as well.

There's one exception I can see, namely addictive original games patched to work great with touch/gyro/wireless versus. But you'd have to choose wisely; for every Amiga-Marble Madness there's a Super Monkeyball with really a lot of extra niceties to it.

Now, these are just my usual 'I see these problems...1) 2) 3)' thing I do. I'll try to balance it back up now.

1. Using the emulation core is a good idea - for not having to learn a new language. But it doesn't alleviate one bit of the game-code. It runs a bit faster (maybe) (on some devices), but also reduces your game-gfx and music to OCS.

2. Selling on a hot market is a good idea - even if you're a small company and even if there are tons of free games on it. If people try it and like it, they will buy it for a fistful of dollars. If it's promoted, they might buy it without trying it, but not if it gets bad user reviews. So how will you make a game they can try and will like, and how will you make the game as good as what they're used to, so they will give good reviews?

This is not to say I can't see Amiga games being sold on iTunes or Android Market - absolutely not - but your idea depends heavily on the emu-makers. Is there even one that doesn't require 'jailbreaking' (or can even be downloaded at all from iTunes etc)? (Edit: but of course you would ask the emu-makers to bundle the emu with the game into an app, or it couldn't be sold. Nevermind. )

Since Android is now bigger than iPhone, game-bundled-into-customized-emu is the most viable option, I think. I still think adding a few sound channels and tripling the CPU-speed to a less geriatric crawl won't make much difference towards 'normal' buyers liking the game more, though.

Last edited by Photon; 27 December 2010 at 17:44.
Old 27 December 2010, 20:53   #87
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Okies

I have a couple of Game Ideas briefs that a certain big G needs reply to his PM's =D
Old 28 December 2010, 17:18   #88
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@ Galahad

You may already be aware, but the guys who made babylonian twins on the amiga ported it to iphone. They might have some tips for you, there are threads on EAB about their game with them commenting ages ago.

Check out the website which boasts how well the game is doing: http://babyloniantwins.com/
Old 28 December 2010, 19:52   #89
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

@Calgor: They didn't use the Amiga code though, it's been rewritten.
Old 28 December 2010, 22:47   #90
HenryCase

Just out of interest, are you likely to be using a Kickstart ROM with your proposed game Galahad? For example, using the new AROS Kickstart to avoid paying royalties for the Amiga Kickstart?
Old 28 December 2010, 23:47   #91
kamelito
Zone Friend

see post #6
Old 29 December 2010, 11:45   #92
HenryCase

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
see post #6
Ah cool, thanks for pointing that post out to me kamelito, must have overlooked when skim reading topic.