English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 April 2006, 15:15   #1
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

PCMCIA wireless netword card problems

I've searched the forums and can't find the answer to my question so I thought I'd make a post. I have a amiga 1200 with blizzard IV with 32mb of memory. I used to use a PCMCIA wired card which I connected to my router via a ethernet cable. I used miami and had no problems, miami found all the settings and connected right away.

I decided that I'm fed up with swapping the ethernet cable in my bedroom from the Amiga to the xbox so I'd go wireless on the Amiga. I have a wireless netgear router and the PCMCIA card in the amiga is a Netgear wireless MA401 card. I have mac filtering and a 128bit WEP encryption enabled on the netgear router.

I've got it all set up and the prism2.device file installed and everything set up in the user startup directory, for it to find the SSID and the WEP encryption key is also entered, it also used ADHOC mode. The problem is Miami is not finding the IP address and everything else automatically when it connects.

It had no problems finding them on the wired card, I've also tried entering the settings manually with no luck. However I have found that the amiga is sending out a signal as I can get the Amigas MAC address on the MAC filtering. I have also tried to turn the WEP and MAC filtering off on the router and it still does the same thing.

I've emailed the seller about this, he has tried to help but only tells me whats already on the readme file of the disc he supplied. The router has a firewall on it but I have no software firewall. Could the router need a port opening for the amiga to access it wirelessly? I've never had to do that when accessing wirelessly on the router before.
Old 23 April 2006, 15:28   #2
DoctorQ
What?? Who?? DoctorQ!!

Send a message via MSN to DoctorQ
I'm using an A1200 with Blizzard 1230, Blizzard SCSI kit, and Netgear MA401, so more or less the same specs as yours. I use 64 bit encryption but no MAC adress filtering (my SSID isn't broadcasted and since encryption is enabled I never bothered with MAC adress filtering), and have no problems connecting.

Can you ping the router from the Amiga? Have you tried setting a static IP in Miami instead? Have you created a new entry in Miami for the ethernet card, or have you edited the excisting one?
Old 23 April 2006, 16:56   #3
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I will try not broadcasting the SSID address but I've had problems with this before. 128 bit encryption and mac filtering makes it a little harder for someone to hack your wireless network. I've tried static addresses and had the same problems as I had with the wired PCMCIA card, I can't get it to work using static.

I've set it up in miami config program as static then when I've loaded the settings into miami I've changed it to DHCP. I deleted all the old settings for the wired router so this is the only one set up in Miami.
Old 23 April 2006, 23:01   #4
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I think the Netgear card MA4901 is B, It doesn't matter as the netgear picks up both B & G. I'll give the 64 bit encryption a go to see if that makes a difference. I have taken the SSID off being broadcasted, I found the only reason I did that is because my stupid Nintendo DS WIFI never found the router otherwise even if it had the correct name in. I'll stick to using the Nintendo WIFI dongle I got instead.

EDIT: The 64 bit encryption doesn't work either, all it does is make miami freeze and crash the amiga after its looked for the IP address. As anyone else any ideas? I think I may have to go back to using a wire

Last edited by adgloride; 23 April 2006 at 23:28.