English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 November 2009, 22:23   #1
asm1

Tower build issues...

Hi

Having finally got all the bits together I'm getting my finger out and building my A1200 T

Now I have a Blizzard 1260 and the SCSI kit for it. I also have 2x 128MB SIMMS which are identical. One of which works fine on the Blizzard itself but when I put the second on the SCSI the miggy wont boot.

If I put 128 MB on the 1260 and a 64MB on the SCSI, then I get a total of 192 MB as expected. If the 1260 + SCSI is supposed to support 256MB max, what am I missing as far as getting the 128MB going on the SCSI kit ?

Secondly, I've got the Floppy drive connected, but not with any power going to it ...I get a DF0: Unreadable... Icon in workbench. which way round does the power cable go? (this is from an ATX PSU with red black and yellow wires going to the connector) Silly question I know, but I dont want to blow the floppy drive by connecting it the wrong way round

Fortunately I have a pre-built CF with CWB 3.9 so it will "do something".... I'm just trying to connect all the bits

cheers

Andrew
Old 28 November 2009, 22:31   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm1 View Post
Secondly, I've got the Floppy drive connected, but not with any power going to it ...I get a DF0: Unreadable... Icon in workbench. which way round does the power cable go? (this is from an ATX PSU with red black and yellow wires going to the connector) Silly question I know, but I dont want to blow the floppy drive by connecting it the wrong way round
Hi Andrew,

Here is a diagram of the PC floppy power connector. The picture shows the view looking at the end of the power connector cable coming from your ATX PSU. The pinout is correct for connecting to Amiga as well as PC floppy drives.

Floppy drives use only the +5V rail. They require no connection to the +12V rail, but you can apply it to floppy drives anyway, because there is no internal connection to Pin 4.
Old 28 November 2009, 23:12   #3
asm1

Hmm Got the Amiga floppy powered on... but still comes up as DFO unreadable. Now I'm loooking at the back of the drive and there's about 6 jumper blocks on it. Does this indicate that it is an Amiga Technologies unit (the drive) ? As I don't see any jumper blocks on the Panasonic JU253 that I used in my desktop...

Tempted to pull the drive thats in the tower and stick my old desktop unit in, at least I know it works.
Old 28 November 2009, 23:29   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Now I'm loooking at the back of the drive and there's about 6 jumper blocks on it. Does this indicate that it is an Amiga Technologies unit (the drive) ? As I don't see any jumper blocks on the Panasonic JU253 that I used in my desktop...
I have in my hands a Chinon FZ-354 floppy drive unit from a Commodore desktop A1200. There is a jumper block on the back of the drive with 14 pins.

If there is a similar jumper block on your drive, some of the pins will be used to define the Drive Select configuration. Four settings are available: DS0, DS1, DS2 and DS3. Your drive should be set to DS0 for use as DF0:
Old 29 November 2009, 03:23   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
If you are getting this message with no floppy inside the unit then the problem is a stuck switch. Clean it.

If no go, check if you didn't invert the cable in the Amiga motherboard.
Old 29 November 2009, 20:38   #6
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
If no go, check if you didn't invert the cable in the Amiga motherboard.

Bent pin on motherboard (at floppy end) Luckily didnt break. Managed to straigten it and floppy drive works fine It too is a Chinon 354 drive

A2000 Keyboard is also working... my "fixage" didn't break anything
Have also installed IDEfix (not software yet) and its working.

Still to do:

Screw floppy in place
Get CDRom working (idefix )
Find right angled PCMCIA Adapter
Put sides on

nearly done
Old 30 November 2009, 05:48   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
<SNIP>
Find right angled PCMCIA Adapter
<SNIP again>
They pop on Amibay from time to time. OR order one from Vesalia or Amigakit.

BTW: good job sourcing the floppy issue!
Old 30 November 2009, 14:48   #8
asm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
They pop on Amibay from time to time. OR order one from Vesalia or Amigakit.

BTW: good job sourcing the floppy issue!

I've got one, and found it in a misc box of bits So thats sorted

Current job is straightening pins on my IDE connector which I rather badly bent yesterday due to not being able to see it properly/poor lighting.. I am not making this easy lol