English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 November 2008, 06:02   #1
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Three basic questions

It's me again

1) WHDLoad registration

Does WHDLoad block itself after a number of launches with the unregistered version?? I couldn't read anything like this anywhere, WHDLoad website included.

Here's the message I got now everytime I try to run a game:

I did register, but didn't receive my license yet!! Can't play in the meantime !? I find really strange I didn't see anything about that anywhere, even in the nag screen. Could it be an installation corruption?

2) WB cyclic floppy "click" sound

Is it normal when I'm on the workbench to have the floppy making a click sound every 2s? I'm mostly playing with headphones and it's getting on my nerves well, I removed the floppy sound emulation as I'm mostly using WHDLoad now, but just out of curiosity I wondered if it was normal.

3) JIT

What is JIT actually, could somebody point me to some doc or give me an explanation? Green Alien Guide instructs to set it on, but actually I didn't find any single game that was running fine with JIT on. I always have sound and/or gfx glitches, so I'm removing it all the time. Can someone enlighten me about it?

Cheers!
AdSense AdSense  
Old 18 November 2008, 06:15   #2
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

About 1)...only happens to some games, not all of them. I'm puzzled.
Old 18 November 2008, 06:20   #3
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Check the WHDLoad games readme files. There is always an info if you need a registered key or not.
Old 18 November 2008, 06:47   #4
TCD

2) No it's not normal. If you disabled the floppy sound emulation there should be no clicks.

3) JIT means Just-In-Time compiler. JIT 'caches' emulated CPU instructions and speeds up emulation this way. This is a very rough explanation and I hope someone can enlighten you (and also me ) further about JIT.
Old 18 November 2008, 09:24   #5
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgeek View Post
1) WHDLoad registration

Does WHDLoad block itself after a number of launches with the unregistered version?? I couldn't read anything like this anywhere, WHDLoad website included.

Here's the message I got now everytime I try to run a game:

I did register, but didn't receive my license yet!! Can't play in the meantime !? I find really strange I didn't see anything about that anywhere, even in the nag screen. Could it be an installation corruption?
Some of the installed WHDLoad games require you to have WHDLoad registered before they will run. There's a few that will run but won't allow you to save the high scores.

I believe this is down to the individual people that have created the WHDLoad slaves for the games.

It doesn't normally take too long for your license key to turn up. Mine only took a couple of days.

Dave G
Old 18 November 2008, 09:52   #6
blade002
Zone Friend

How do you think "I" feel. I paid for it already, but lost my registration in my Workbench screwup and now i will have to pay for it all over again to use WHDLoad properly
Old 18 November 2008, 09:54   #7
Graham Humphrey

Why would you have to pay for it again? Won't Wepl send you another keyfile? After all he must know you did pay for it first time round.
Old 18 November 2008, 09:58   #8
TCD

Don't worry blade. I'm sure Wepl will send you a new key Just send him an email about it (he's on holidays right now though).
Old 18 November 2008, 11:37   #9
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
1) WHDLoad registration

Nope, it's depends on the game. In Hired Guns for example, the copy protection is only disabled if you're using a registered version, while some other games, such as Project X, won't work at all if you haven't registered.

Just be a little patient
Quote:
2) WB cyclic floppy "click" sound

Is it normal when I'm on the workbench to have the floppy making a click sound every 2s? I'm mostly playing with headphones and it's getting on my nerves well, I removed the floppy sound emulation as I'm mostly using WHDLoad now, but just out of curiosity I wondered if it was normal.
On an actual Amiga, this is normal. It's basically the os checking to see if theres a disk in the drive. There's a number of programs that solves this irritation, because checking for a disk can be done in a better way than the os does.
Quote:
3) JIT

What is JIT actually, could somebody point me to some doc or give me an explanation? Green Alien Guide instructs to set it on, but actually I didn't find any single game that was running fine with JIT on. I always have sound and/or gfx glitches, so I'm removing it all the time. Can someone enlighten me about it?
As TheCyberDruid pointed out, it stands for Just In Time, and in this case it's a JIT compiler. What this does is simple to explain, but not so simple to actually get to work properly: It translates programs run on the emulated machine on the fly.

Normally an emulator reads a machine code instruction, and emulates the behavior of that instruction, while WinUae can instead translate the instruction to one or more instructions that do the same, but which exist on the machine doing the emulation. These translations are then stored for as long as needed.

In simpler words:

No JIT: Using a person to read a book for you, each and every time you want to read it.

JIT: Each time you want to read a book, the part you want to read is translated, and then later, if you want to read the book again, the translated parts don't have to be translated again.

Note that those translations are not actually stored on disk; each time a program is run, the process starts all over again, the key here is that while running, parts that have been translated don't have to be translated again, they can simply be run by the emulating machines cpu directly.

Hopefully this was clear enough
Old 18 November 2008, 11:54   #10
TCD

Thanks for the much better explanation Thorham I think that even I got it now
Old 19 November 2008, 07:25   #11
gklinger
Vegetable Lasagna

There are worse things to pay for twice.
Old 02 December 2008, 18:55   #12
Nostalgeek
OT Whore

Hey! Back from New Delhi to cold but nice Switzerland

Thanks for the great answer Thorham! Actually, I'm having terrible issues with JIT on. I didn't find any single game that liked it yet.

On another note, since I'm back I transferred everything off my laptop to my desktop at home and I'm suffering extreme GFX flickering when I go in fullscreen mode. Both my laptop and my desktop have a 1680x1050 displays accepting similar refresh rates, and what worked fine on the laptop now doesn't on the desktop.

Full-windowed mode works fine. Only fullscreen, with every games, makes this strange flickering. I really think it's the emulation engine that generates the flicker and not screen settings, first because of the laptop running fine with similar settings, and also because I tried to play a bit with WinUAE display options to no avail (actually making it worse lol)

Anybody has a potential clue?

Thanks so much for the help so far guys
Old 03 December 2008, 00:02   #13
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Thanks for the great answer Thorham!
You're welcome
Quote:
Actually, I'm having terrible issues with JIT on. I didn't find any single game that liked it yet.
For games, you don't need jit if your computer is fast enough. Any modern computer should be. Jit is really only needed for cpu hungry aplications such as Adpro, and it works best when using os software.
Old 03 December 2008, 00:13   #14
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
For games, you don't need jit if your computer is fast enough. Any modern computer should be. Jit is really only needed for cpu hungry aplications such as Adpro, and it works best when using os software.
Second the no-go for games part and like to add some later demos which are really CPU hungry
Old 03 December 2008, 00:30   #15
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Second the no-go for games part and like to add some later demos which are really CPU hungry
Cool, but still best viewed on an Amiga, though Pitty I only have a '030
Old 03 December 2008, 01:13   #16
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
There are a few games which do not react badly to JIT. In fact, some of these games will run better (that is, bear shorter loading times) with JIT on.

Try disabling Hard Flush and set it to run "After Picasso96" in the options.
I will list a few JIT agnostic games, if you like me to.

Personally, I like very much the full-window feature, an alright mix between window mode & full-screen mode.
Is there a particular reason why you want to play Amiga games in full-screen mode ?
Old 03 December 2008, 01:52   #17
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
Is there a particular reason why you want to play Amiga games in full-screen mode ?
I know the question isn't directed at me, but I'm guessing people like full screen because it's closer to an actual Amiga, which is always full screen
Old 03 December 2008, 02:51   #18
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli Send a message via Skype™ to NewDeli
It could also be because WinUAE takes a tad less CPU power when run in full screen mode, Thoram
Old 03 December 2008, 10:28   #19
TCD

Quote:
I know the question isn't directed at me, but I'm guessing people like full screen because it's closer to an actual Amiga, which is always full screen
Yup, that's the reason why I use Fullscreen Only WB stuff runs windowed
Old 03 December 2008, 10:58   #20
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
As well as which, it is possible to run full screen at 50Hz on some monitors... Makes for a much better and smoother emulation when running games.
AdSense AdSense