English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 30 March 2011, 16:56   #1
Mr B

"Unable to open your tool 'Installer' "-Workbench 3.1

So, as promised, i can keep going with stupid questions, forever. And yeah, i do try and solve them on my own first.
Got this software, it has a installer, i try and run it, and i get a error message. "Unable to open your tool 'Installer'" Ooookay... Um.. I hit my favorite forum, and a few moments later i realize that it's simply a tool that should be on the floppies, or if i want a updated version, on aminet. Ok, so i should put this in Workbench/C. Great, thats it, now then. Still no luck. So, clearly, i'm missing something.

It's a clean install, this is the first thing getting moved in to the system, on WinUAE. This is a learning experience, trying to get some experience so that i can make a better suited config for my real Amiga. Assume that my knowledge is zero, and you get quite close to the truth.
B!
Old 30 March 2011, 17:03   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Yes, put the installer in C: dir.

Also check the information of the icon your trying to launch.
Check where its looking for installer.
Old 30 March 2011, 17:03   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Make sure you've placed it in your boot partition's 'c' folder. You can also try the version on KG's site : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/files.php

Last edited by TCD; 30 March 2011 at 17:19. Reason: +'s (not that it matters much anymore ;))
Old 30 March 2011, 17:12   #4
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Yes, put the installer in C: dir.
Thats what i did. No go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Also check the information of the icon your trying to launch.
Check where its looking for installer.
Nowhere, which gave me the idea to copy "installer" to that directory, with the software. And there it goes. *sigh* Do i feel stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
You can also try the version on KG site : http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd/files.php
Yet a newer version. *snatch* thanks.
B!

Last edited by Mr B; 31 March 2011 at 00:02. Reason: Removed signature. It's starting to get way to repetetive to read it....
Old 30 March 2011, 23:56   #5
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Change the default tool line from "installer" to "C:Installer" and it should work fine.
Old 31 March 2011, 00:01   #6
Mr B

Putting it in the same folder, sorry drawer as the install needing to be installed worked to. I wouldn't know where to edit the tool line. *blushing*
At least i know a solution if it doesn't work another time.
B!
Old 31 March 2011, 00:09   #7
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I wouldn't know where to edit the tool line. *blushing*
It's in the icon information window, select the icon and then access it in the "Icon" menu, or press RAMIGA+I
Old 31 March 2011, 00:14   #8
Mr B

Again, just proves what i know. Currently WinUAE is copying my harddrive to a HDF, so i cant test it, but i now know which window your thinking of... And what i meant with the fist sentence is shown now... You can CHANGE stuff in there? I know there are tick-boxes for file attributes, but that was it in my mind... The more i learn, the less i understand, this is not going to well i am afraid.

Sorry, i'll try my best not to ask TO many stupid questions. I'll get back to you all on this topic in a bit.
B!

Edit
Never did get back to ya all on this. Indeed, c:installer worked just as intended. And saves some space used for my copy of installer in the directory, if left undeleted... (It's a neater way, and should have been that way to start with i guess.)
Thanks Anakiron. It was to obvious, i wouldn't have figured it out on my own... *sigh* i over complicate everything.
/Edit

Last edited by Mr B; 01 April 2011 at 22:16.