English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 05 January 2016, 14:47   #1
yesplease

FS-UAE for iOS

Hi Frode,

since we have iphones, we dream of having a decent amiga emulator for it.

Unfortunatly in beginning the iphone was "relatively" closed and "relatively" underpowered in terms of processing-performance for modern emulator software.

But recently that changed in both aspects.

no longer Closed: With iOS9 everybody with a Mac can deploy an arbritary app on an own NON-JAILBREAKED device with XCode for free (no paid developer program certificate required anymore). The deployment is really easy and straight forward and officially supported from apple when you got the apps project files.

no longer underpowered: The performance of iOS hardware of the last two years is quite on par with todays average notebook power.

Therefore we looked for an amiga emulator for iOS and we found an XCode project on http://www.iuae-emulator.net/ respectively on https://github.com/emufreak/iAmiga

To set this up was relatively easy. Me and my friends we deployed it. We tried several games and it feels nice and snappy. You just get an ADF file with iOS safari browser and open it directly in the emulator app for execution. No need for iTunes sync or so, completely open for installing and try every ADF you like on the go. (We even extended it a bit, we can now connect a second ios device to act as a virtual controller for port1 joystick to support multiplayer on the go with only two iphones.)

But we ran into severe compatibility problems. It seems it is based on an old uae core also known as uae4all version 0.7.2 from 2001. In a lot of games it shows problems in sprite collision and some even don't start.(i.e. Archon I+II you can't shoot down your enemy, Gravity Force, etc.) We know the choice for the old ue4all core code was made many years ago, due to the underpowered mobile devices at that time.

Now, we think the time has come to port the best emulator software especially in terms of compatibilty to our mobile devices. And we thought of course about FS-UAE because of its platform independend architecture and great compatible winuae core.

What do you think?

FS-UAE

Last edited by yesplease; 05 January 2016 at 15:35.
Old 05 January 2016, 15:58   #2
esc

Sorry for the OT, but...do you have any good guides for compiling software in xcode yourself to run unsigned iPhone apps? WOuld love to get me some NES emulators without jailbreaking...

Old 05 January 2016, 16:07   #3
kolla
Banned

It is still not without trouble to distribute sources for building with Xcode for iOS, just look at the case of f.lux.
Old 05 January 2016, 16:22   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I don't have any plans (or motivation) for an iOS version. An Android version is much more likely, but I'm not working on that at the moment either.
Old 06 January 2016, 14:24   #5
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
An Android version is much more likely, but I'm not working on that at the moment either.
High-end Amiga emulation on my Nexus 6? Yes please
Old 11 January 2016, 14:37   #6
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
I don't have any plans (or motivation) for an iOS version. An Android version is much more likely, but I'm not working on that at the moment either.
Hi Frode,

you don't use iOS Devices that much, do you ? On the other side I bet its a ton of work to port the arcade app or the FS-launcher GUI to mobile. Android is no Linux so I bet there is no GTK implementation for it.

In the meantime I fixed the collision problems in iUAE by copying the collision relevant source code from the FS-UAE custom.cpp into the old version of iUAE. Now 2-player gaming Archon works fine on two iPhones.

Thank you for replying so fast And thank you so much for FS-UAE!
Old 11 January 2016, 15:03   #7
esc

@yesplease - Can you refer me to some howto guides that you followed to do this? I'd like to compile some NES emulators and stuff for my iPhone without having to jailbreak it. I have osx with xcode. Thanks!

Old 16 January 2016, 13:39   #8
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by esc View Post
@yesplease - Can you refer me to some howto guides that you followed to do this? I'd like to compile some NES emulators and stuff for my iPhone without having to jailbreak it. I have osx with xcode. Thanks!

I think my original post was a bit off topic, but yours is completely OffTopic now:

here is a link for you though

https://developer.apple.com/library/...onDevices.html

why don't head over to some NES emulator forums
Old 31 January 2016, 17:52   #9
Cv365

Wow that's pretty cool. How did you get it to compile? I checked out the 1.1.0b1 branch with Xcode. First compile failed, because it seems to need iOSOpenDev. I installed that and now the build progresses a lot further but ultimately fails with:

Code:
Preparing to run Xcode Build Phase...
Directory /Users/xxx/Documents/Development/iOS/iAmiga/iUAE/Package not found
Command /bin/sh failed with exit code 1
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

BTW, did you try libretro/RetroArch? That supports Amiga as well doesn't it? They have iOS support now and will be doing tvOS soon as well (yay!)