English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 28 January 2003, 12:25   #1
Mojo2000

Floating menus?

OK, OK, again I could be called a Windows stooge. But back when I actually did have a physical Amiga 3000, I enjoyed a tool called Silicon Menus (available on Aminet) which allowed context-sensitive menus to pop up on a right-click, next to your mouse pointer, anywhere on the screen. This freed up the menus from being locked down at the top of the screen.

Now that I am using AF/WinUAE, my attempts at using Silicon Menus result in residual graphic garbage where the floating menus were opened. I can clear this artifacting by ResetWB, but that of course is a royal PITA.

Anybody got hints or tips? Surely this can work out somehow!....

Old 28 January 2003, 14:00   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
grab the latest copy of magicmenu:

http://www.magicmenu.de/

and do a search on aminet for 'popupmenu' and grab the user archive and the correct cpu module...
Old 29 January 2003, 00:15   #3
Mojo2000

Big grin Great stuff!

Quote:
Originally posted by Severin
grab the latest copy of magicmenu:

http://www.magicmenu.de/

and do a search on aminet for 'popupmenu' and grab the user archive and the correct cpu module...
From the sounds of things, I want to use both of these programs/libraries together and I can trust them to be intercompatible? :hoo

I much appreciate your suggestions and look forward to cruising happily down that Amiga lane.

Old 29 January 2003, 14:21   #4
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
I've been using them both together for many years with no problems, magicmenu only deals with system menus whereas popupmenu deals with context specific mui menus...
Old 29 January 2003, 16:09   #5
Amiga1992

I have been using Magic menu since 1996, it's a brilliant little app I can't live without!
Old 30 January 2003, 09:36   #6
Mojo2000

Big grin Thank you!

I appreciate the hint for Magic Menu and hope to dig into it further as I go along. I think I have 'installed' PopUpMenu as well but not yet activated any features; that can come later.

Now, two more requests:

1) surely there is a feature that allows me to trigger a menu with right-click, then leave the menu there as I release the right button?

2) is there an obvious reason why Silicon Menus would leave behind artifacts but Magic Menu 'cleans up' after itself?

Old 30 January 2003, 14:35   #7
ptrchiappe

Send a message via AIM to ptrchiappe
Re: Thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo2000
1) surely there is a feature that allows me to trigger a menu with right-click, then leave the menu there as I release the right button?

2) is there an obvious reason why Silicon Menus would leave behind artifacts but Magic Menu 'cleans up' after itself?
1) in Magic Menu preferences you can set Usage: Sticky or Smart Select as you prefer (try them both to see which suits your needs)

2) not sure, but probably MagicMenu is more Intuition compatible than Silicon Menus