English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 29 January 2023, 08:42   #1
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Question Video Freeze (but not sound!) with savestate

I've had this recently with the last 2 games I've been playing:
Inca Man, and Barbarian II. As mentioned in the title, while playing I make a savestate (using a quick save keyboard shortcut); as soon as I restore that savestate (still using a "quick restore" key) the restored game's video freeze and the game mechanics seem to hang, with the exception of the audio — music (in Inca Man) or Background SFX (in Barbarian II) remains normal as if nothing happened... Kinda weird.

Last (possibly useful?) point is that this happens randomly with savestates: not all of them will freeze once restored. However this is reproducible, ie. a problematic savestate will always produce the same freezing result, of course.

[EDIT]Added a 2nd savestate variant ("BarbarianII_1.uss"): same hanging video with sound, but with the added bonus of a blinking power LED leading, as we all know, to a forced reset and Guru Meditation a few seconds later. The previous savestate however, gave a /stable/ (as in no reset/Guru) restore. Hopefully this will all help diagnose and pinpoint the origin of the problem...[/EDIT]

Facts & details:

- Latest WinUAE (v4.10.0 x64)
- Win10 22H2
- Gfx API: Hardware D3D11
- Version of BarbarianII I'm using is "The Band" Crack/Trainer +3 (including Disk2 necessary for the restore)

Cf. attached log file+savestate.

Hopefully Toni can figure out where this is coming from and fix it, thus very slightly improving on the masterpiece that WinUAE already is.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (8.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: uss BarbarianII.uss (250.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: uss BarbarianII_1.uss (251.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: zip Barbarian II - The Dungeon of Drax (1989)(Palace)(Disk 2 of 2).zip (412.7 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by SunChild; 29 January 2023 at 12:38.
Old 30 January 2023, 16:34   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Crashing statefile is caused by blitter state, new blitter emulation is not anymore compatible with quick and dirty "finish blitter immediately" when saving state if blitter was running. Second is possibly related.

This is yet another missing (and forgotten) piece that needs to be updated to use full blitter state support (which already exists, at least mostly, but wasn't enabled).

(and I just noticed 4.10.1 will complain about incompatible config when saving state, even if config is plain A500. It still saves it normally. Very stupid bug when cleaning up when to complain and when not..)
Old 01 February 2023, 23:01   #3
SunChild
EAB Noobie

Alright Toni, thanks for checking it out and the report! I gather nothing here is exactly news to you in terms of bugs (except the "incompatible config" alert...), so I'm not sure this was exactly useful to help you clean anything up much in the code? (Sorry to have taken of your time if not)

In any case, once it's been acknowledged and taken into account, this is a rather minor incovenience to me in using the emulator, so I'm not worried to much by it myself. But I love to hear about every time the emulation gets closer and tidier, to the tiniest details! (Sure, I'm a geek!) :P

Thanks again — Cheers!
Old 09 February 2023, 18:09   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Cycle-accurate blitter state save/restore is now implemented.

If you can easily duplicate the freeze when using Inca Man and Barbarian II, could you check if saving and restoring now works reliably?

https://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z (warning: alpha version)
Old 10 February 2023, 19:38   #5
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Cycle-accurate blitter state save/restore is now implemented.

If you can easily duplicate the freeze when using Inca Man and Barbarian II, could you check if saving and restoring now works reliably?

https://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z (warning: alpha version)
Toni, i'm also interested in this

btw i need to report that Win Defender blocks your file here
i know, prolly a false positive, just reporting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Def.png
Views:	46
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	78092  

Last edited by kremiso; 10 February 2023 at 20:14.