English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 07 December 2022, 20:20   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Help finding music in SMUS or 8SVX format for Amigavision

Hi, I have found myself playing with Amigavision and want to add some music to a slideshow I am making but it only plays SMUS or 8SVX files and anything I try and convert to this format plays too slowly for some reason?

Can anyone point me in a direction where I might be able to download some music in the required format for Amigavision....

Any help appreciated.
Old 07 December 2022, 21:33   #2
AmiClassic

Have you checked if 'smus' songs from Sonix's disks also play slowly?
Old 07 December 2022, 23:24   #3
Matt_H

SMUS is the native format of Deluxe Music (and Instant Music). It comes with some demo songs, and there’s also 2 data disks with more songs and instruments: Hot & Cool Jazz and It’s Only Rock & Roll.

I think Bars & Pipes can convert to/from SMUS. If there are tempo problems with the conversion you can use Deluxe Music to fix them. Between DMusic and B&P you should be able to convert any MIDI file to SMUS.

Because MOD became the Amiga’s preferred music format there’s not a whole lot of “vintage” SMUS files floating around, but there are some on Aminet. Old BBS and PD libraries will probably have some, too.

8SVX is a waveform format, more commonly used for samples than full songs. The instruments that come with DMusic are all 8SVX. There are probably a bunch of utilities on Aminet to convert to 8SVX.
Old 07 December 2022, 23:39   #4
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hi, I have found myself playing with Amigavision and want to add some music to a slideshow I am making but it only plays SMUS or 8SVX files and anything I try and convert to this format plays too slowly for some reason?

I don't know if the music player uses a VBlank interrupt for timing, but is it maybe a PAL vs NTSC thing?
Old 07 December 2022, 23:46   #5
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Can anyone point me in a direction where I might be able to download some music in the required format for Amigavision....

Any help appreciated.
Which version of AmigaVision do you have? Version 2 supported AREXX ports and could be used to activate an external player like HippoPlayer.
Old 07 December 2022, 23:50   #6
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiClassic View Post
Have you checked if 'smus' songs from Sonix's disks also play slowly?
Sonix used a different instrument format but AmigaVision 2 let you override the default instruments with 8SVX files if you needed to. I got Sonix files to work with it that way.
Old 08 December 2022, 22:57   #7
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks for the replies guys... been fun playing with sonix and trying out different converters on Aminet but no real progress going that route for me to be honest. I have been using the Execute command in Amigavision 2.4 and have found some success in going out to an external program (play16) to play the IFF music I converted originally and this works fine and in perfect time but wont let the slideshow progress until the music finishes... I am now going to try and run this music part as a sub routine in the slideshow - my hope is that the pictures in the main routine will just run along as per the instructions I set.... I will experiment further... I think it might be a case of actually reading the Amigvision manual.... (tomorrow)
Old 16 December 2022, 11:58   #8
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Finally got a little slideshow created... getting the music running in 8SVX was not as complicated as I first thought - just use the execute icon with a cli run command in a custom screen (using play16 in C drawer as a music player), this allows the slideshow to progress... it was fun using AmigVision.

Here is a link... hope you like Woody Allen...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 December 2022, 07:08   #9
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Cool! I watched the slideshow. What do you think of programming with custom requesters and mouse clicks?
Old 17 December 2022, 13:51   #10
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Cool! I watched the slideshow. What do you think of programming with custom requesters and mouse clicks?
A bit above my abilities I think - I do want to explore the Arexx possibilities in AmigaVsion though... just keep getting distracted by... Battlechess of all games! Have not played it in years!