English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 14 January 2013, 12:58   #1
alphagemini

Window shrinking

Is it possible to shrink an Amiga window and have the contents rescaled to fit the new window? It can be done on PC, on the Amiga?
Old 14 January 2013, 13:18   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

That would be up to the program you're running. Do you mean a folder window in Workbench?
Old 14 January 2013, 15:35   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I guess he means the feature "Auto Arrange Icons".

All you have to do is press Right-Amiga + full-stop (period). It will auto-arrange itself. Alternatively, select all of your icons in the window and Unsnapshot them. When you open the window next time, they will arrange nicely because none of them will have embedded position information.
Old 14 January 2013, 20:31   #4
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagemini View Post
Is it possible to shrink an Amiga window and have the contents rescaled to fit the new window? It can be done on PC, on the Amiga?
If you're talking about an application's program window then yes. The application has to do it though. Intuition will send you a message telling you that the window size has changed. You then get the new window dimensions, close everything in your window and then reopen them using the new window dimensions to determine the new sizes and positions for everything that goes in your window.
Old 17 January 2013, 12:49   #5
alphagemini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
If you're talking about an application's program window then yes. The application has to do it though. Intuition will send you a message telling you that the window size has changed. You then get the new window dimensions, close everything in your window and then reopen them using the new window dimensions to determine the new sizes and positions for everything that goes in your window.
Thanks for the reply. Intuition is new to me. Is this something you incorporate into a program? ie a line of code requesting it?
Old 18 January 2013, 00:38   #6
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Intuition is new to me. Is this something you incorporate into a program? ie a line of code requesting it?
Yes. When you open a window, one of things you set up is what messages you want to receive. One of them is when the window gets resized. There's 32 different message you can set using the IDCMP flags.

If you don't know about intuition then you need to get the book on the include files and auto docs, and the amiga library book. You also need to know how to deal with messages in general. I don't think the actual books are available anymore but I think the info is available electronically. Hopefully somebody can supply info on this.
Old 18 January 2013, 00:43   #7
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Guess this would be helpful then: http://amigadev.elowar.com/
Old 18 January 2013, 12:10   #8
alphagemini

Thanks for the help, I obviously have homework to do!!
Old 18 January 2013, 12:36   #9
alphagemini

I have the original HiSoft basic 2 user manual. In it it mentions IDCMP but does not show any examples of how this is expressed in code. It assumes a great deal of expertise on behalf of the reader, as usual, which is obscure to a bear of small brain. If anyone has the patience to explain I would be very grateful!
Old 19 January 2013, 19:42   #10
Ed Cruse

Quote:
I have the original HiSoft basic 2 user manual. In it it mentions IDCMP but does not show any examples of how this is expressed in code. It assumes a great deal of expertise on behalf of the reader, as usual, which is obscure to a bear of small brain. If anyone has the patience to explain I would be very grateful!
When you create window tell it what IDCMP events you want to here about. Intuition will open a message port for you and all intuition message will arrive at that port. Remove messages from port and one field in each message is what IDCMP event the message is about. The other fields in the message are other info depending on the event. Do what you need to do and then reply the message back to intuition.

When I have more time I'll try and work up some simple code. It will be in C.
Old 21 January 2013, 18:45   #11
Ed Cruse

I upload my template program. This program creates a window with a simple menu and also a secondary thread. The problem is I have written functions over the years to do all the hard work for me. This is probably not going to be very useful to you because you can't really see how I'm talking to the OS. I was going to do it the hard way so you can see but that's an awful lot of work on my part and I just don't have the time. I wrote the functions so I didn't have to keep remembering. There is a call in the program called mt_intuihandler() that does show how to handle intuition messages and the IDCMP, but again it's still fairly hidden in the functions.

Sorry, this is the best I can do. You need to get all documentation which includes the libraries book which explains how things work, and also the autodocs and includes files, and then read and read and experiment writing code.
Attached Files
File Type: c myprg.c (14.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: c data.c (4.0 KB, 149 views)
Old 23 January 2013, 16:50   #12
alphagemini

Thanks for your help, this is a bit too abstruse for me, I will have to wait until I know more