English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 May 2002, 05:22   #1
mfratus

Arrow Replacing 2000HD's Quantum HD & SCSI controller

I have a 2000HD that is without a hard drive and controller. It has a tape backup that is scsi, and I'm wondering if I can put a PC-type scsi controller in it. Are the ISA-bus-looking connectors really ISA? ( I had an A500, never messed with a desktop unit). I don't even know if it has an IDE bus. But I have a SCSI controller and Hard Drive if it will take it.
The other problem is how do I prepare the hard drive for Amiga?
I can do all that on a PC but am lost on an Amiga. I have no install disks. Am planning (?) on using UAE to make a boot disk for it. This is a nice, old machine with a Video Toaster. I really want to get it going. Help!!!

Old 04 May 2002, 08:13   #2
jmmijo

You can't use the ISA slots in the A2000 without a bridgeboard or the famous Golden Gate cards as the ISA slots are not enabled until either of the previously listed boards are installed first Seems strange but CBM never had an option to enable these slots and yes they are standard PC type ISA slots

As for the partitioning option on the Amiga side, you could use any number of apps for this:

1) If you have kickstart v2+ you can boot from the WB/Install floppy and run the HD Toolbox app.

2) You can use the software that came with the controller card, but since it appears you need another controller you should research this first

I recommend the options from GVP-M, here is there website:

http://www.gvp-m.com/

They still have some Zorro boards left to sell. You can also try looking on ebay or yahoo as well, the auction sites.
Old 04 May 2002, 08:53   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I'm curious about something. The subject of this thread is "Replacing 2000HD's Quantum HD & SCSI controller"... but you don't address the Quantum HD & SCSI controller in your message. Do you have these items? I have used these in the past on my A2000 with good results.
Old 04 May 2002, 17:32   #4
mfratus

Smile SCSI controller found!

After a good night's sleep, I started again this morning to find a SCSI controller to replace the missing controller in my 2000HD. I ordered the AdSCSI from ICD, here in the USA. I saw lots of stuff for sale in England, but cheap as some were shipping would have killed me! Thanks for the help! Seems this controller will format and partition it!
I still need to, in PC parlance, make it a system disk. More research needed.
Thanks for the comments and help!

Old 04 May 2002, 20:12   #5
jmmijo

Yes, well workbench disks need to be found if you don't have these as well.

To tell what version of the kickstart you have, power up the A2000 and note the v#.# on the screen. Do you have a static hand on the screen? If so, then most likely you have either v1.2 or v1.3, it should show this on the screen. If it's an animated disk going into a drive then it could be v2.xx or 3.xx, again the screen should show this version number. We can help you with the correct disks to go along with the kickstart version you have!

Also there is another good source of equipment here in the US, their name is Software Hut and they are located in PA.

www.softhut.com
Old 05 May 2002, 04:12   #6
Shadowfire

If it has an "A2000HD" label on the front of the box it will not be kickstart 1.2.
Old 05 May 2002, 06:43   #7
jmmijo

True, it should be at least KS1.3 or higher. Could also be that the machine was raped for parts and only has KS1.2 instead, don't know but perhaps mfratus can let us know so we can be of better assistance to this problem
Old 07 May 2002, 06:02   #8
mfratus

As far as ROMs, it has the 2.0 Kickstart installed.

What happened is the controller or HD went bad, it was shipped to the builder, and thereupon lost. There is only one disk from the owner, untried as yet. But I have never used AmigaDOS to do anything to a hard drive. So I don't even know what command to give it, like SYS (PC), or NEW (Apple???), to put the system ON the hard drive. Just drag and drop?

(Sorry, but I got swept up into PC-land for a while, but never forgot my much better Amiga.)

Old 24 May 2002, 06:53   #9
mfratus

ICD has no Amiga SCSI controllers unil "fall" the said.
Found Earl in CA wanting to get rid of a 2019 controller, which installed nicely.
Installing the software was simple, mostly.
Thanks for the help, again.