English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 May 2020, 18:12   #1
DjDiabolik

Drag&Drop - How to "unload" a files....

Problably a stupid question.....

I have know it's possible to DRAG&DROP a .lha files to the "emulation" windows and you can explore the archive like a ADF files.

If you use Drag&Drop whit an ADF this be loaded in DF0: and if need you can unload from WinUAE settings.

But for a .lha files ? It's possible ? The "Delete" option from "Icon" menù it's gray out..... it's can only select Format.

The problem then has repercussions in windows because you cannot delete the same lha used on emulation windows but you need, fisically, quit from winuae.........
Old 01 May 2020, 18:21   #2
DamienD
Banned

Eh?

Try ejecting the disk (if you dragged to DF0: or whatever).

Or remove from "CD & Hard Drives" i.e. the proper way mount / dismount stuff.
Old 01 May 2020, 18:26   #3
DjDiabolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Eh?

Try ejecting the disk (if you dragged to DF0: or whatever).

Or remove from "CD & Hard Drives" i.e. the proper way mount / dismount stuff.
Sorry for my BAD English....

If you use Drag&Drop whit an ADF files yes... you can unload or eject from Floppy section.

But if you drag&drop a LHA files ? IT's not appears on "Floppy" and also not appear from "CD & Hard Drives" section....
Old 02 May 2020, 00:36   #4
DamienD
Banned

It's my understanding that if you drag .LHA or .LHZ files into WinUAE they should be mounted under the "CD & Hard Drives" section.

To be honest though I've never tried or used this.

I just do it manually.
Old 02 May 2020, 15:05   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Currently there is no option to manually unmount drag&dropped "harddrive". Only way is to drag&drop something else first.

EDIT: Perhaps executing "diskchange rdh0:" could eject the drive.. I'll think about it.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 May 2020 at 15:20.
Old 04 May 2020, 10:34   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Toni I use Assign Dismount "filename or Directory name": that works well to unmount File Archive, Directory dragged

Only problem that the File or folder remains in use "not erasable from Window", to eliminate then use the "Unlocker" ulility
Old 05 May 2020, 20:55   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It really does not work.. It only removes the volume node, filesystem has no idea something happened = emulator can't know image can be freed.
Old 06 May 2020, 14:58   #8
DjDiabolik

So guys this can be a feature to "improve" in some way?
have I really reported something useful to improve winuae?
Old 07 May 2020, 10:17   #9
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Toni I use Assign Dismount "filename or Directory name": that works well to unmount File Archive, Directory dragged

Only problem that the File or folder remains in use "not erasable from Window", to eliminate then use the "Unlocker" ulility

If you:

Assign "Whatever Path:"

Then press enter..it'll be removed. You don't have to use dismount. It has been a while for me, but I think this was introduced in OS 3.zero (3.0).

If you have a path without spaces..then quotes aren't needed.
Old 07 May 2020, 12:22   #10
Tomislav

It needs Eject button in WinUAE "CD & Hard drives". Maybe that Eject button is not greyed only for devices which are added while emulation is running.
Old 07 May 2020, 12:29   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Drag&drop added "drive" is not listed in GUI because they are considered "temporary" drives that should not be kept and accidentally saved with config.
Old 07 May 2020, 13:49   #12
DjDiabolik

I suggest one thing if it's possible:
But the function could not be changed/modified ?
For example make sure that if you use the "Drag&Drop" whit a .lha (or other supported files) it's be add as somethings like a floppy (or an .adf file) can be eject whitout any problems ?

That is to say absurdly even on a windows pc it's not consider safe to remove a CD Drive or an Hard Disk on the fly (in fact for this reason I believe there is "Safe Removal" for usb drive).
Old 07 May 2020, 20:31   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This is totally different than ejecting USB drive. (It would be similar to "ejecting" a hardfile)

Ejecting a directory or archive is similar to unmounting a network share. Network share is not going to get corrupted even if something is accessing it when it gets (force) unmounted.

Of course it is not good idea to eject if some program is actively writing to one or more files. File contents might get corrupted if program was mid-write when drive was ejected.
Old 09 May 2020, 09:17   #14
Foebane
Banned

I use drag'n'drop for everything on WinUAE now, and I use two methods to remove the temporary dragged archive:

For ADF and EXE on boot screens, RShift+End+F1 to remove DH0:.

For LHAs and other archives, simply drag and drop another archive to mount in place of the existing archive in RDH0:, or reset the Amiga to unmount the RDH0: completely.

These work quite well for me.
Old 10 May 2020, 05:36   #15
DjDiabolik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I use drag'n'drop for everything on WinUAE now, and I use two methods to remove the temporary dragged archive:

For ADF and EXE on boot screens, RShift+End+F1 to remove DH0:.

For LHAs and other archives, simply drag and drop another archive to mount in place of the existing archive in RDH0:, or reset the Amiga to unmount the RDH0: completely.

These work quite well for me.
Yes exactly .... for lha if you load a seconds lha files from windows you can safely remove the previous lha you used.

but always a file remains "loaded".... in fact, in some my previous replies I spoke about this features that could be "improvable" in some way
Old 10 May 2020, 10:52   #16
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDiabolik View Post
but always a file remains "loaded".... in fact, in some my previous replies I spoke about this features that could be "improvable" in some way
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the LHA file or whatever is "in use", so it couldn't be changed in Windows, not until you close WinUAE to free the file, so yes, there's that issue. Maybe what the others said about going into F12, then Drives and removing them?

EDIT: It seems removable drives like RDH0: DON'T show up on "CD and Hard Drives".

EDIT: I just tried dragging and dropping several of my LHA files into WinUAE, one after the other, to see if ONLY the last one used was "in use" and non-deletable, but it seems that ALL of the files I dragged and dropped into that one session win WinUAE became undeletable, and I could only remove them AFTER I closed WinUAE. I never noticed this before because I tend to store my Amiga archives in an ISO archive which I open with WinRAR (compatible with WinUAE) and drag the files from one to the other that way.

I don't know what I can suggest now, but if you're working with HDF files on WinUAE, it should be no problem to close, then re-open WinUAE again and carry on?

Last edited by Foebane; 10 May 2020 at 11:05.
Old 10 May 2020, 13:19   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It was not very clearly reported that when drag&dropping new file, old file still stays locked. It was obviously wrong.

It will be fixed in next beta.