English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 March 2012, 03:59   #1
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Kickstarter for 2D animating tool/Natami

Hi, There is currently a kickstarter campaign http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...riter?ref=live running with the aim of creating a professional quality 2D animating tool. Compatability with game authoring software such as Unity and torque 2D is being worked on by 3rd parties. The goal is to raise 25,000 dollars. Michael V. Parent, one of the makers is a professional 2D artist who worked on Thor, the nintendo DS game. He is also a member of team Natami who are creating the Natami, Native amiga computer system http://www.natami.net/knowledge.php I think it's a worthwhile campaign and sounds like a very useful tool for videogame artists or designers etc.This tool could be instrumental in creating cool new amiga games for the Natami. Im a longtime amiga fan and I still have my old a500 tucked away in a wardrobe.Im very interested in the Natami as it endeavours to follow the design principles of the original amigas.What about you guys? What's your opinion of the Natami project?

Last edited by Adrian Browne; 30 March 2012 at 22:32. Reason: link was broken.
Old 30 March 2012, 07:50   #2
fishyfish
Banned

I remain sceptical towards Natami. How low has in been talked about now? 3, 4 years? In this time its amounted to a handful of boards, which appears to be changing as often as additional boards are made (feel free to correct me someone, but this is the impression I have). Im all for new 2d art software for Amiga systems, but $25,000 for software for a system that is still unavailable? Not to mention it's unnecessary as there's plenty of great 2d art packages already available.
Good luck to them, but I think people should be made aware of the true state of Natami (ie. thus far an excerise in enginerring and not a real product). I know Id be a bit peeved to donate towards something that there's no guarantee I'l ever be able to get my hands on.
So long as it's not Natami only (which means a very exclusive group of people (6 or 7 boards in 4 years)), then great (by which I mean works on real amigas, and things like fpga arcade), but from my view theyve yet to show anything "solid" enough so as to want to gamble my money, and its something I'd suggest others really look into before they contribute too. Not to say Id discourage them, but suggest they look into its history a little more and then make a decision.

I guess the other side of the coin though could be that it takes money to make a project, "solid", and having some good, unique software can be a great help.
For me though, there's just a bit of a feeling of it being a bit of an exclusive "boys club" with a cool engineering project. By exclusive I mean that it just doesnt yet feel like it's going to go into even any sort of small production runs, rather something that's fun for those involved to tinker with.

All in my opinion of course.

All this said and done though, if it does materialise as something I can buy, I suspect I'll buy one

Anyway, sorry for the long ramblings, but you did ask what people thought

Last edited by fishyfish; 30 March 2012 at 13:48. Reason: clarity (of sorts :))
Old 30 March 2012, 08:08   #3
roy bates

i havent seen anything from the natami team for ages.

as for software, i wouldent mind having some new software for the old hardware(as long as i could actually afford it)
Old 30 March 2012, 15:19   #4
Amiga1992

Deluxe Paint is all you need.
The link was wrong by the way.
Old 30 March 2012, 22:45   #5
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
I remain sceptical towards Natami. How low has in been talked about now? 3, 4 years? In this time its amounted to a handful of boards, which appears to be changing as often as additional boards are made (feel free to correct me someone, but this is the impression I have). Im all for new 2d art software for Amiga systems, but $25,000 for software for a system that is still unavailable? Not to mention it's unnecessary as there's plenty of great 2d art packages already available.
Good luck to them, but I think people should be made aware of the true state of Natami (ie. thus far an excerise in enginerring and not a real product). I know Id be a bit peeved to donate towards something that there's no guarantee I'l ever be able to get my hands on.
So long as it's not Natami only (which means a very exclusive group of people (6 or 7 boards in 4 years)), then great (by which I mean works on real amigas, and things like fpga arcade), but from my view theyve yet to show anything "solid" enough so as to want to gamble my money, and its something I'd suggest others really look into before they contribute too. Not to say Id discourage them, but suggest they look into its history a little more and then make a decision.

I guess the other side of the coin though could be that it takes money to make a project, "solid", and having some good, unique software can be a great help.
For me though, there's just a bit of a feeling of it being a bit of an exclusive "boys club" with a cool engineering project. By exclusive I mean that it just doesnt yet feel like it's going to go into even any sort of small production runs, rather something that's fun for those involved to tinker with.

All in my opinion of course.

All this said and done though, if it does materialise as something I can buy, I suspect I'll buy one

Anyway, sorry for the long ramblings, but you did ask what people thought
No worries fihyfish.I did indeed ask what people thought.Having read tons of the old and new threads on natami.net I am honestly of the opinion that the natami is intended to be produced in some volume.It's just that it's no small feat to make a whole new amiga.I can only imagine the complexeties.The developers board has been finished some time ago and is now being debugged.I understand that it's a catch 22 scenario but if we support the natami i believe we can all make it work.If people don't support it then it might not be as successful.That sounds simplistic but that's how i feel it is.I am very enthusiastic about a new amiga and could maybe be accused of being over zealous but hah i don't mind.The idea is that with the Spriter program and a dedicated series of software tools and game engines, games can be made easily for natami and monetized via ios/android releases.Any game made using the natami teams tools can be easily exported to natami with little fuss.Sorry about the long post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Deluxe Paint is all you need.
The link was wrong by the way.
Fixed the link.

Last edited by prowler; 30 March 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use multi-quote.