English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 April 2020, 17:22   #1
Glen M

Emulation on Amiga

Not emulation of Amiga but emulation on Amiga.

Shapeshifter is probably the first thing that jumps to mind but mac's are a bit MEH in my book so I've been looking at other systems.

I've successfully got the Master System emulator running and its great. Well.. so far I've got master system emulation running well on an emulated Amiga but hoping to try it on the real thing later.

I've also been trying NES emulators but with little to no luck. I can get Mario running with Coolness but there no sound and the scrolling is wrong. Also tried AmiNES which just crashes on start up.

Any recommendations for a good NES emulator or any other systems for that matter, MSX maybe?

I can't see me getting Mega Drive or SNES emulation working on my 030 but feel free to discuss as it may benefit others.
Old 02 April 2020, 17:23   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Amoric (Oric atmos) works pretty well on 68030
Old 02 April 2020, 17:26   #3
Glen M

BTW I also tried ANES but I get a halt3 error in WinUAE. Not tried it on the real thing.
Old 02 April 2020, 17:33   #4
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

amimsx is really good.
Old 02 April 2020, 17:41   #5
Daedalus

I remember there were a couple of Gameboy emulators back in the day that worked well enough to play through Link's Awakening (or at least however far I managed to get...) AmiMasterGear worked well though one of the sound channels wasn't quite right last time I tried it, meaning some sound effects sounded a bit like static. I never really got any of the NES emulators working fully - Mario 3 is a complex game as NES games go, and that always seemed to have some sort of tile glitches. And you're right, the 16-bit machines are a bit much for an 030 (and even an 060 for that matter).

Aside from those consoles, I emulated a lot of computer systems quite successfully. Mac emulation through Fusion and Shapeshifter let me me play games like Settlers 2 on the Amiga, as well as run some serious applications. But other systems I tinkered with that appeared on the surface to work well included the Atari ST. Atari 8-bits worked well too, and there are emulators for pretty much all the main 8-bit systems - C64, BBC, Spectrum, TRS-80 etc. that I tried and worked well (though I didn't push them hard). I was using an 060 so I can't comment on 030 performance, but no harm in trying them.
Old 02 April 2020, 18:04   #6
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I remember there were a couple of Gameboy emulators back in the day that worked well enough to play through Link's Awakening (or at least however far I managed to get...) AmiMasterGear worked well though one of the sound channels wasn't quite right last time I tried it, meaning some sound effects sounded a bit like static. I never really got any of the NES emulators working fully - Mario 3 is a complex game as NES games go, and that always seemed to have some sort of tile glitches. And you're right, the 16-bit machines are a bit much for an 030 (and even an 060 for that matter).

Aside from those consoles, I emulated a lot of computer systems quite successfully. Mac emulation through Fusion and Shapeshifter let me me play games like Settlers 2 on the Amiga, as well as run some serious applications. But other systems I tinkered with that appeared on the surface to work well included the Atari ST. Atari 8-bits worked well too, and there are emulators for pretty much all the main 8-bit systems - C64, BBC, Spectrum, TRS-80 etc. that I tried and worked well (though I didn't push them hard). I was using an 060 so I can't comment on 030 performance, but no harm in trying them.
I spent a lot of time back in the day playing Supermario Land on Wzonkalad! Even won a free key from the programmer but can't remember why? I think this was on an 040 40mhz and it worked well.

Agree that AmiMasterGear was good too but you have to remember in those days tracking down roms to run was a bit trickier...

Strangely (and I know it was to do with processor) but the more powerful Mac emulation worked really well. Enjoyed Duke and Dark Forces most of all. Just shows that if they through emulation then they could have been even better coded directly for the Amiga.

Happy days.
Old 02 April 2020, 21:52   #7
Nobby_UK

http://m68k.aminet.net/package/misc/emu/MasterGear1_0d

Sega Master System + Game Gear
works on my 040
Old 02 April 2020, 22:04   #8
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Any emulator written by Juan Antonio Gomez Galvez was pretty good on a A1200 with fast mem.

Most stuff worked and was entirely playable.

AmiMasterGear
AmiMSX
AmiGameBoy

And he did AmiNES but I never tried it.
Old 03 April 2020, 01:15   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Yeah those AmiEmulators are really good. I also use zxam spectrum and Asp which I prefer as it uses RTG and AHI. I had quite good results with Mame 060 particularly on my Vampire setup.

I use shapeshifter quite a bit, again on higher end machines with RTG, great way to play Sim City 2000.
Old 03 April 2020, 08:01   #10
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
Any recommendations for a good NES emulator orany other systems for that matter, MSX maybe?
I recommend fMSX, it have more compatible emulation than AmiMSX mentioned by Galahad (but also higher requirements). Other mentioned by him (AmiMG, AmiGB) are fine.

About NES, i had on 68k three emulators: AmiNES, CoolNES and DarkNESs, mentioned in compatibility factor - DarkNESs is more compatible, but have higher requirements. For PPC systems DarcNES is best (and it's multi-emulator).

About other systems, there is MagiC64 (fine C64 emulator but without true drive emulation) when Frodo or VICE (also C64 emulators) have too high requirements.

For Amstrad CPC is Ami-CPC, but You must convert disk images to it's own format with tool added to emulator.

For ZX Spectrum are Speccylator, Speculator, ZXLive and ZXAM (and some others).
Old 06 April 2020, 09:33   #11
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Check out also Wzonka-Lad http://aminet.net/package/misc/emu/Wzonka-Lad

Back in the times when the author released almost all the source code, he forgot some files. So I contacted him and he sent the missing files to me. Then I was able to compile it and upload it to Aminet.
Old 06 April 2020, 09:49   #12
drHirudo
Amiga user

I used to be play with Amiga emulators a lot in the past. I even ported some emulators to Amiga, improved some source codes, or helped them getting released for free (see Wzonka-Lad).
Back in the times when different hardware was not so widely available like now, emulation on Amiga was giving me access to software - games and tools most of the time unavaible. So far on AGA Amiga 4000 with 68040/25 MHz I was able to emulate at acceptable speed the following platforms: IBM PC - PC-Task, PCx, Apple II - Apple 2000, CPM - eCPM, SimCPM, Macintosh - ShapeShifter(Acceptable speed was only two colors though, because of AGA, but it was able to share Internet with the Amiga), Sega Master System - AmiMasterSystem, Nintendo NES - CoolNES, AmiNES, MSX - AmiMSX, fMSX, Atari 8-bit - Atari 800, GameBoy - AmiGameBoy, Wzonka-Lad, TRS-80 - AmiTRS 80, Commodore 64 - MagiC64 (small amount of games work on it), Sinclair ZX Spectrum and ZX 128K - Speculator, ZXAM, ASpEmu, Speccylator and many other.

There are some other emulators that can run on Amiga, but they were very slow, more like slideshows on 68K Amigas like Sega Mega Drive, SuperNintendo and Vice. These emulators worked fine on my MicroAmigaOne though with G3/800 MHz, so their requirements are not that high.
Old 06 April 2020, 10:21   #13
jayminer

The Ami-emulators were really fast - AmiMSX and AmiMasterGear had really good compatability aswell. AmiGameBoy was decent but not as complete as the other two. AmiNES and AmiPC-Engine (can't remember what it was actually called) was in their infancy so they are not really usable.

When it comes to NES emulation nothing was really usable, I remember CoolNES as being the best but I don't think many games at all working with it, I mostly remember graphical glitches and issues. A/NES is pretty cool on a really beefy system with RTG but also has some issues.
Old 09 April 2020, 06:44   #14
Foebane
Banned

What about the Atari 8-Bit emulator for Amiga? I would like to see that in action, especially if it can do demos.
Old 09 April 2020, 22:01   #15
Daedalus

I remember the Atari 800 emulator working reasonably well, though I never pushed it with tech demos or anything. But it's an older version of Atari800, which is a pretty solid emulator nowadays so I would expect it to be pretty capable. I do remember it has the nice menu system built in...
Old 09 April 2020, 23:14   #16
Cobe

What about Atari2600?
Few years ago I tried to run ET on 020 but failed.
I think i found 2 emulators, one probably Stella, the other one i cant remember the name.
Maybe Stella even can run it but needs more than 020, and the other one that runs well on 020 doesnt support all roms if i remember correctly.
Old 15 April 2020, 21:26   #17
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Macintosh - ShapeShifter(Acceptable speed was only two colors though, because of AGA, but it was able to share Internet with the Amiga),
Back in the day the Amiga was *THE* emulator machine, with more emulators than any other platform. =) Back when we called Shapeshifter an "emulator" even though it was more of a VM hypervisor. Back when we laughed at UAE -- the Unusable Amiga Emulator but were shocked and impressed that someone would even attempt such a thing. =)

But yeah I actually found Shapeshifter useful on my 040/25 for many 256-color games using the MMU drivers. It wasn't good for first person shooters but platformers/adventure games/etc. worked fine.