English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 July 2017, 17:51   #661
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
You can now import from txt file / export to txt file / auto populate / check / fix and clear your slots configuration.
Excellent news JEff! This is great!

One question though: are there issues when modifying the USB stick then? Say, if I rename a file, or delete one, or add one, will this render the whole list unusable?
and more importantly: can I share this text file with others and, as long as they have the same filenames on the disk, be able to have a playlist?

This was an issue i was having when I made a games pack and I tried to share it with people (using the Cortex :/ firmware)
Old 24 July 2017, 19:52   #662
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Excellent news JEff! This is great!

One question though: are there issues when modifying the USB stick then? Say, if I rename a file, or delete one, or add one, will this render the whole list unusable?
and more importantly: can I share this text file with others and, as long as they have the same filenames on the disk, be able to have a playlist?

This was an issue i was having when I made a games pack and I tried to share it with people (using the Cortex :/ firmware)
This is one of the purposes of this new feature : Ability to resync your slots setting from the text file. So yes of course you can share the text and the adf files. Just copy the all files to the new usb/sd and do a "setslots"
Old 24 July 2017, 20:32   #663
Amiga1992

Quote:
This is one of the purposes of this new feature : Ability to resync your slots setting from the text file. So yes of course you can share the text and the adf files. Just copy the all files to the new usb/sd and do a "setslots"
I see! Excellent!
You still have to instruct to "re-cache" the location though, right? With "setslots". Or maybe "fixslots"!
I just want to get the instructions clear so I can tell people what to do.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 24 July 2017 at 21:26.
Old 25 July 2017, 00:21   #664
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I see! Excellent!
You still have to instruct to "re-cache" the location though, right? With "setslots". Or maybe "fixslots"!
I just want to get the instructions clear so I can tell people what to do.
1 -> : Get the text file : getslots : HXCFEMNG.exe -disk:F: -getslots:mylist.txt

2 -> : Copy the images to another sd/usb

3 -> : Use the text file to set the slots: setslots :
HXCFEMNG.exe -disk:G: -setslots:mylist.txt
Old 25 July 2017, 05:58   #665
Amiga1992

I just went and tried after I posted and it worked great!
Old 25 July 2017, 23:03   #666
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
New File selector update with some new features:
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...AlphaTrial.zip

You can now import from txt file / export to txt file / auto populate / check / fix and clear your slots configuration.

This is for the moment available in the Windows and Linux version in command line but i plan to move some of these functions in the Amiga/ST GUI.

HXCFEMNG.exe -help to get the command line options

Options:
-help : This help
-verbose : Verbose mode
-disk:[path] : Path to the drive to mount
-getslots:[filename.txt] : Get the slots list
-setslots:[filename.txt] : Set the slots list
-fixslots : Fix the bad slot(s)
-populateslots : Scan all supported file images on your SD/USB stick and auto add them into the slots if they are not already present in the slots.
-clearslots : Clear the slots

Examples :

(If F: is your SD / USB stick)

Get all my current slots setting into mylist.txt

HXCFEMNG.exe -disk:F: -getslots:mylist.txt

Set mylist.txt slots setting into the cfg file

HXCFEMNG.exe -disk:F: -setslots:mylist.txt

The current text format per line is :

slotnumber:/path/to/the/image.adf

Examples :

Code:
00001:/pop.adf
00002:/DSKA0003.IMG
00003:/testfolder/dkboot_fat1440.img
00004:/EmptyFM.img
00005:/FM26S77T128B.IMG
00006:/HD1.hfe
00007:/HD2.hfe
00008:/HD3.hfe
Note 1:
Since the software do raw access to the SD/USB Stick, the executable can't be launched from these drive.
Depending of your setup, you may need to start the software in administrator mode.

Note 2:
The Linux version is available on github :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_file_selector

Checkout the repository and do a make into the sdl subfolder.

Any feedback is appreciated ! Thanks !
Update : http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...AlphaTrial.zip
Bug Fix + getslots function speed up.
Old 25 July 2017, 23:45   #667
BarryB
Amigaholic

Just been using the v2.1.6.0 of the HxC Floppy Emulator Software to batch convert some plain ADOS IPF's to ADF, and If the source/destination directories are the same it will just keep converting every file, even the ones it's just converted, ad infinitum! Is this a bug or 'feature'
Old 25 July 2017, 23:54   #668
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Just been using the v2.1.6.0 of the HxC Floppy Emulator Software to batch convert some plain ADOS IPF's to ADF, and If the source/destination directories are the same it will just keep converting every file, even the ones it's just converted, ad infinitum! Is this a bug or 'feature'
A feature of course. It's an hard-disk filler .
Every file in the folder are converted, even the new one. So avoid to use the same folder.
Old 26 July 2017, 00:04   #669
BarryB
Amigaholic

LOL Or, if possible, put a sanity check in to check if the source file has already been converted
Old 26 July 2017, 06:25   #670
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
LOL Or, if possible, put a sanity check in to check if the source file has already been converted
Yes, but this is not the problem : a new is file was never converted
the sanity check to add is to force the user to choose another folder.
Old 26 July 2017, 22:06   #671
demolition
Unregistered User

I have just tested the latest firmware and the windows tool. Those new command-line options makes the indexed mode a whole lot more usable since it is much easier to manage what is located in which slot, however I could not get it to work with ADF files.

If I put a couple of HFE files on there and do a -clearslots followed by -populateslots, it adds the HFE files to the first slots as I expect. In the Gotek I can also use the images I just added so it seems good here, however if I put an ADF file on the stick and add it to a slot, the Gotek just flashes 'Err' when I insert the stick. Is ADF not supposed to work here (it looks like it from your example that it should work with HFE/ADF/IMG)?

I would also indicate my interest in support for using IPF files as there are several games that I would like to play from the 'original' disks as cracked versions can sometimes have issues..
Old 26 July 2017, 22:30   #672
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I have just tested the latest firmware and the windows tool. Those new command-line options makes the indexed mode a whole lot more usable since it is much easier to manage what is located in which slot, however I could not get it to work with ADF files.

If I put a couple of HFE files on there and do a -clearslots followed by -populateslots, it adds the HFE files to the first slots as I expect. In the Gotek I can also use the images I just added so it seems good here, however if I put an ADF file on the stick and add it to a slot, the Gotek just flashes 'Err' when I insert the stick. Is ADF not supposed to work here (it looks like it from your example that it should work with HFE/ADF/IMG)?
Of course this should work with ADF (normal/non-extended for the moment !).
Can you explain me step by step what you have done. I didn't reproduce the problem here.

Quote:
I would also indicate my interest in support for using IPF files as there are several games that I would like to play from the 'original' disks as cracked versions can sometimes have issues..
i have something almost ready (speed/copylock support Ok !).
Old 26 July 2017, 23:11   #673
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Of course this should work with ADF (normal/non-extended for the moment !).
Can you explain me step by step what you have done. I didn't reproduce the problem here.
I flashed the firmware by cleaning the USB stick and putting the .UPD file in the root by itself. Pressed both buttons and powered it on until the 'snake' animation was running. Released the buttons and waited until it was done.

Then I did this:
1. Format USB stick
2. Copy HXCSDFE_Config_Files\Indexed_mode\HXCSDFE.CFG to root of USB stick
3. Copy one .adf file to root (I used adf which I am ~100% sure is good)
4. Use tool with -populateslots
5. Dismount USB stick and insert into Gotek
6. 'Err' in display

Firmware+HXCSDFE.CFG+HXCFEMNG.exe was all from the same (latest) archive.

Quote:
i have something almost ready (speed/copylock support Ok !).
Sounds great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HxC-1.png
Views:	83
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	53885   Click image for larger version

Name:	HxC-2.png
Views:	79
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	53886   Click image for larger version

Name:	HxC-3.png
Views:	89
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	53887  
Old 26 July 2017, 23:34   #674
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
I flashed the firmware by cleaning the USB stick and putting the .UPD file in the root by itself. Pressed both buttons and powered it on until the 'snake' animation was running. Released the buttons and waited until it was done.

Then I did this:
1. Format USB stick
2. Copy HXCSDFE_Config_Files\Indexed_mode\HXCSDFE.CFG to root of USB stick
3. Copy one .adf file to root (I used adf which I am ~100% sure is good)
4. Use tool with -populateslots
5. Dismount USB stick and insert into Gotek
6. 'Err' in display

Firmware+HXCSDFE.CFG+HXCFEMNG.exe was all from the same (latest) archive.

Sounds great.
This is better when you see the problem. Thanks for the screen copies.
Here for example the autoboot.hfe is missing on your stick. that's why the firmware is not happy .
Old 26 July 2017, 23:50   #675
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
This is better when you see the problem. Thanks for the screen copies.
Here for example the autoboot.hfe is missing on your stick. that's why the firmware is not happy .
I don't get why autoboot.hfe is needed in indexed mode? I could be using the Gotek in a PC.
Also I tried cleaning it, adding AUTOBOOT.HFE, running -populateslots, adding wb31.adf and running -populateslots again. Now I have two slots populated with AUTOBOOT.HFE in slot 1, and it still shows Err when I insert the stick.

Now I tried with just the AUTOBOOT.HFE file on there besides the CFG file and cleaned and repopulated the list. Still 'Err', however if I rename AUTOBOOT.HFE to DSKA0000.HFE and repopulate the list, it works? It seems like it fails when the filename is not DSKAxxxx.HFE?

I am wondering if I flashed the firmware correctly on the Gotek?
Old 27 July 2017, 00:38   #676
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
I don't get why autoboot.hfe is needed in indexed mode? I could be using the Gotek in a PC.
Also I tried cleaning it, adding AUTOBOOT.HFE, running -populateslots, adding wb31.adf and running -populateslots again. Now I have two slots populated with AUTOBOOT.HFE in slot 1, and it still shows Err when I insert the stick.

Now I tried with just the AUTOBOOT.HFE file on there besides the CFG file and cleaned and repopulated the list. Still 'Err', however if I rename AUTOBOOT.HFE to DSKA0000.HFE and repopulate the list, it works? It seems like it fails when the filename is not DSKAxxxx.HFE?

I am wondering if I flashed the firmware correctly on the Gotek?
ok got it : the slot system must be used in "autoboot boot" mode.
When you set the cfg file into indexed mode, the file name must be named dskaxxxx.hfe/img and the slots setting are ignored...
So use the autoboot cfg file.
Old 27 July 2017, 06:43   #677
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
ok got it : the slot system must be used in "autoboot boot" mode.
So use the autoboot cfg file.
Ok, thanks, now it seems to be working as expected and I now have a mix between HFE, ADF and IMG files. The IMG files were PC floppy images and with CrossDOS, the Amiga could read those images as well, as long as they were 360/720k images, so this all looks great. Haven't tested it on the PC yet, but that will be next. Also, it is very nice that the files can be sorted in folders as that makes it a lot easier to manage. Seems to me like the old Indexed mode is hardly needed any longer?

I just got the components and was about to install an OLED display in the Gotek but now that is almost not necessary any longer.

However, having AUTOBOOT.HFE on there does not seems to be necessary. If it is there, it will be put in slot 1 by -populateslots, but if I leave it out it will just put something else in slot 1. If AUTOBOOT.HFE was there, should it also not be slot 0 instead of 1?

So how is AUTOBOOT.HFE special and could I just use any other HFE image in place of it if I wanted to always boot from some other disk? Currently I have AUTOBOOT.HFE booting disabled in the config.
Old 27 July 2017, 08:11   #678
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Ok, thanks, now it seems to be working as expected and I now have a mix between HFE, ADF and IMG files. The IMG files were PC floppy images and with CrossDOS, the Amiga could read those images as well, as long as they were 360/720k images, so this all looks great. Haven't tested it on the PC yet, but that will be next. Also, it is very nice that the files can be sorted in folders as that makes it a lot easier to manage. Seems to me like the old Indexed mode is hardly needed any longer?
Yes but i will keep the indexed mode in the case of this software can't used for some reasons and for compatibility reasons too.

Quote:
I just got the components and was about to install an OLED display in the Gotek but now that is almost not necessary any longer.

However, having AUTOBOOT.HFE on there does not seems to be necessary. If it is there, it will be put in slot 1 by -populateslots, but if I leave it out it will just put something else in slot 1. If AUTOBOOT.HFE was there, should it also not be slot 0 instead of 1?

So how is AUTOBOOT.HFE special and could I just use any other HFE image in place of it if I wanted to always boot from some other disk? Currently I have AUTOBOOT.HFE booting disabled in the config.
Yes sure, i need to filter this file. It should be ignored. I will fix this into the next release.
Old 27 July 2017, 08:16   #679
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by oissery77 View Post
Thanks Jeff for your return.
For me,
**advantages of indirect support of IPF :
- access to more games in foreign language not available on ADF/WHDLOAD release (e.g : cannon fodder in french)
- reliable dump to avoid bad/buggy adf files => gain of time at the end

**disadvantages:
- conversion but it's not really tricky
- copy protection steps but can be often passed with scans of manuals

When you are ready, i will help to test it!
And here it is :
Firmware HxC Gotek + Converter with IPF support :

http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d..._hxc_gotek.zip

Just convert them to the "HFE V3" format !

Still the flakey bits support to do, but a huge load of titles should already work !

Old 27 July 2017, 09:00   #680
assignmenthelp
Banned

Gotek and HxC working together

When I turn the Gotek drive emulator on display only says: "HXC".