English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 December 2006, 03:24   #1
gizmomelb

new hardware suggestion: USB to serial mouse adapter

Hi all,

since there doesn't appear to be a forum to discuss designing/building new hardware I thought this was 'the best fit'.

I've been looking around for replacement amiga mice (they're quite rare down this side of the globe) and got to thinking that a USB to Amiga mouse adapter might not be too difficult a thing to make.

ie: Use a PIC or other similar microcontroller to take the USB signals and then convert them into the raw signals that the Amiga mouse port is expecting.

comments or schematics most welcome

Gizmomelb
Old 19 December 2006, 06:48   #2
Jope
-

Why not. :-)

A fun project to do in your spare time.. I don't think there are any ready made schematics, but you can take a look at the ps2m package on aminet regarding how to talk "mouse" to the Amiga.
Old 19 December 2006, 08:52   #3
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Hi all,

since there doesn't appear to be a forum to discuss designing/building new hardware I thought this was 'the best fit'.

I've been looking around for replacement amiga mice (they're quite rare down this side of the globe) and got to thinking that a USB to Amiga mouse adapter might not be too difficult a thing to make.

ie: Use a PIC or other similar microcontroller to take the USB signals and then convert them into the raw signals that the Amiga mouse port is expecting.

comments or schematics most welcome

Gizmomelb
Wot? Like the existing Amiga PS2 mouse convertors with a USB to PS2 adaptor plugged in? Can't see that being difficult...
Old 19 December 2006, 09:00   #4
Secret Vampire

The main problem, USB is not a simple protocol like PS/2, USB to PS/2 adaptors only work with mice that can actually talk PS/2, they tell the mouse to send PS/2 signals instead of USB ones.
to use a mouse in USB mode you'd need some form of USB controller in the adapter, which while not impossible to realise, would be harder than adapting PS/2.
Old 19 December 2006, 11:51   #5
Jope
-

Yep, basically a usb stack needs to be written, one that understands the hid class..

I didn't give it much thought before, but a PIC will not be powerful enough.
Old 19 December 2006, 13:14   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

if you dont mind writing a smidge of software this item already exists...

not to sure if this would work with the native serial on an Amiga, it might need a silver surfer or multiface card for the speed..

http://www.easysync.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d12.html

and a little reverse engineering too...
Old 19 December 2006, 13:49   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I *think*, that using a serial -> ps/2 mouse converter, with one of those ps/2 mice, that go with a ps2/ -> usb converter thingies worked with me Amy last time i chcecked - even on the boot screen!
Old 19 December 2006, 14:07   #8
Jope
-

Please don't get distracted by the subject line! We're talking about translating the usb signals to Amiga mouse signals here..
Old 19 December 2006, 14:38   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As has already been said, it is a waste of time to do a USB->Amiga adapter when you can already use a PS2->Amiga adapter + USB->PS2 dongle
Old 19 December 2006, 14:57   #10
Jope
-

Yes, most USB mice talk PS2 too.. Though this feature is already going away. Legacy free PCs are finally making it and the amount of USB only mice is increasing.
Old 19 December 2006, 15:25   #11
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
As has already been said, it is a waste of time to do a USB->Amiga adapter when you can already use a PS2->Amiga adapter + USB->PS2 dongle
Woot, Alexh agrees with something I said
Old 20 December 2006, 05:12   #12
gizmomelb

Jope, I'm looking into some USB Host chips as well as USB OTG (On The Go) which looks promising.

Yes, PS/2 support is on the way out, floppy drives are almost non-existant - hence my reasons for looking into 'modern' replacements so we can still use our Amigas in another 10-20 years time.
Old 21 December 2006, 08:33   #13
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

By then perhaps Clone-A will be out and maybe we will finally get an Amiga on a PCI card (if we still have PCI then!)
Old 21 December 2006, 09:45   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Jope, I'm looking into some USB Host chips as well as USB OTG (On The Go) which looks promising.
I work for Oxford Semiconductor who own TDI (Transdimension) the largest supplier of USB host chips if you want some.
Old 21 December 2006, 13:02   #15
Photon

hehe, got my Cocolino five minutes ago and saw this post... Worked right away with my Logitech optical without installing the drivers at all! Tried it in 1.2 and WB 2.0 with DPaint. Neato! (c) 80s Captions Inc
Old 22 December 2006, 01:24   #16
gizmomelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I work for Oxford Semiconductor who own TDI (Transdimension) the largest supplier of USB host chips if you want some.
Thanks AlexH, I haven't had any time to continue looking into this as yet (being the party season and all) but I've got some time off over New Year, so I hope to be able to devote some time to design/testing then.

Regards,
Gizmomelb