English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 03 May 2018, 23:07   #1
MickGyver

Suncom Slik Stik Microswitch button mod

I did a quick (ugly but non-destructive) mod to one of my Suncom Slik Stik joysticks. I installed a microswitch for the button. This mod would also work for a TAC-2.

[ Show youtube player ]

I cut off the bottom tab and some of the plastic of the microswitch with a dremel cutting disc so it would be the correct height. I then cut a small piece from the side of microswitch and soldered a wire to the remains of the bottom tab. The microswitch fits tightly, I added some blu-tack to the bottom of it to prevent sliding.

I soldered another wire to the other tab and installed crimp terminals to the other end of both wires, I then connected the terminals to the crimp terminals of the Slik Stick used for the button "connectors".

I cut a piece of one of my short steel rulers (bought five for a few euros on ebay). It fits perfectly on the plastic button (the hole is exactly the correct size) and will extend to press the microswitch. A shim with the right dimensions would work also, it would need to be slightly wider than the button and quite thin.

It works and will probably save my thumb for longer gaming sessions!

Last edited by MickGyver; 04 May 2018 at 08:23.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:44   #2
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

And so it just clicks like a ZipStick now?
Old 04 May 2018, 00:46   #3
Amiga1992

Microswitches vary in clickiness, from the video, this sounds like a mild/tolerable click, unlike that of Competition Pro joysticks.
Never had a Zipstick, but if they are like CompPros, this clicks less.

I would still like to find an even less clicky microswitch, I need to do some research.

This mod could also be modified to apply to a TAC-2 I would guess!

EXCELLENT job Mick!
Old 04 May 2018, 00:50   #4
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
And so it just clicks like a ZipStick now?
The click is not so bad, it sounds like a "normal" microswitch, not the most quiet but not the loudest either. It feels much better than the normal slik stik button now imho.

Akira, I'm sure there are better and more quiet microswitches for the job, I just grabbed the best I had lying around. A slightly smaller one would fit without needing any cutting I guess.
Old 04 May 2018, 01:02   #5
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I read your comments about the Tac-2, telling that the buttons are very hard.

I just have to say that I don't understand you, to me they are soft and I could be clicking them all day long. I don't know, maybe there were different TAC-2 versions or something?

I'm not a brute, understand me, but they seem soft to me.

And I don't mind clicking sounds at all. Sometimes it's nice to listen the sound (or not) and then you can not say that you pressed it and the character didn't jump or whatever.
Old 04 May 2018, 01:10   #6
Amiga1992

There's no way the brute-force method in which TAC-2 and Slik Stiks work (which is what makes them superior in response and lasting quality IMO, except for that damn button) yields a "soft" button press. It's "hard"by design.
Have you ever even used proper arcade controls? Something like Japanese cabinets? THAT is soft.
Also again have you ever had an intense fire button pressing session ever with one of them? Because there's no way it doesn't hurt, unless you maybe have the hand size of a ten year old :P
It's not that you have to push hard, it is ergonomically bad. The cramped position in which you hold the joystick brings pains behind your thumb after extended/intense use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Akira, I'm sure there are better and more quiet microswitches for the job, I just grabbed the best I had lying around. A slightly smaller one would fit without needing any cutting I guess.
You've motivated me to finally get off my ass to try my hand at doing this!
Unlike you, I have no switches lying around, so I went and searched around. I found some candidates and bought them so next week I should be able to try this modification and see if I can yield better results.
Old 04 May 2018, 01:17   #7
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
...It's not that you have to push hard, it is ergonomically bad. The cramped position in which you hold the joystick brings pains behind your thumb after extended/intense use.
I agree with that. I found that that position is bad for some games. Yesterday I was playing Track&Field and it was difficult to run (pad moved fast with a hand) and then press the button. But that was just as you say the ergonomic design.
Old 04 May 2018, 03:22   #8
amiman99

Nice mod.
You could possibly design and 3d print custom button for this mod.
I have these joysticks, and yes, this fire button can be a pain sometimes.
Old 07 May 2018, 16:35   #9
Amiga1992

Alright guys, the buttons I found to be best, and ordered, are arriving today.
I hope to do this mod this week, and will post updates later, to see how it worked out!
Old 07 May 2018, 18:06   #10
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Alright guys, the buttons I found to be best, and ordered, are arriving today.
I hope to do this mod this week, and will post updates later, to see how it worked out!
Good stuff!
Old 09 May 2018, 00:24   #11
Amiga1992

Oh man this is awesome! Managed to install the microswitch and it's now a feather-light touch that I need in order to activate the fire button! I can just press it with the joint of the second and first phalanx of my thumb and this is super comfortable, no more cramping.

Thanks so much for this guide man, you encouraged me to do it and I cannot regret it.
I had to chop some plastic to fit mine but I don't care. This is the best thing ever. If I had a TAC-2 I'd try to do the same with it too!
Was too focused in not ruining everything to snap pics :/
Old 09 May 2018, 00:57   #12
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Come on, please share some pic of the internals and tell about the components you bought.
Old 09 May 2018, 20:27   #13
dirkies
Zone Friend

The original CP5000 buttons were leaf switches just like in the early arcades. Perfectly silent, very fast pushing, unlimited life expectancy and no real effort needed to push. Still prefer that over microswitches any day!
Old 10 May 2018, 15:50   #14
Amiga1992

Yes that's silent, but definitely far less than "unlimited life expectancy". The "leaf" can definitely break. I've had that happen.