English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 July 2010, 19:15   #1
mjnurney

Aros amiga system

hello All

I have ordered the parts to build an Aros Amiga system, if anyone is interested i will post my results in the next few days.....

thanks

Intel Atom Dual core cpu / itx motherboard
itx black case
Amiga One keyboard
Old 15 July 2010, 19:24   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@mjnurney

Looking forward to seeing a build log

I had a play with this on an acer AMD Turion 1GB + X1100 ati - and it was quite good - no Hardware 3D support (just software) that I could find..

I have to admit, its 1000% better if you install it to the HDD - running from Optical drive limmites your options - especially with RunUAE.

its a great little package and I am looking forward to having a much more of a play with it.
Old 15 July 2010, 21:42   #3
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
@mjnurney

Looking forward to seeing a build log

I had a play with this on an acer AMD Turion 1GB + X1100 ati - and it was quite good - no Hardware 3D support (just software) that I could find..

I have to admit, its 1000% better if you install it to the HDD - running from Optical drive limmites your options - especially with RunUAE.

its a great little package and I am looking forward to having a much more of a play with it.
Its very nice.

My specs are;

AMD Dual Core 4200,
Nividia 8600 GTS,
Realtek A97 (using ClusterUK HDAudio Driver)
Realtek Network RLT8111 (Using RLT8111 Network Driver)

So everything works on it, 3D graphics, Internet and Audio, . Thats all I wanted, fully native.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:19   #4
Hewitson

Sounds like you guys are wasting a whole load of money on something thats going to be completely useless..

What are you going to actually use the machine for? Surely Amithlon would be far more useful?
Old 16 July 2010, 12:59   #5
Jimbo

Waste of money as well. Most all PC's will run this with a 3com internet card £3 from ebay and an old soundblaster £3. Graphics an old ati 9200 will work (my x800xt worked as is) . Just set up a new partition and dual boot. I removed mine though, never really liked it much
Old 16 July 2010, 14:26   #6
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Sounds like you guys are wasting a whole load of money on something thats going to be completely useless..

What are you going to actually use the machine for? Surely Amithlon would be far more useful?
Who said anything about wasting money, I have not spent a penny (Hardware wise). Im using my main programming pc, that I have had for years. I have a dual boot setup, where it boots to win7 by default, but I have the option to boot to AROS, if needed.

I dont see AROS as useless, its comming along nicely.
Old 16 July 2010, 16:39   #7
mjnurney

wasting money? not really, the parts are cheap and much nicer than a big ugly ATX case buzzing away.
and dont forget windows can be installed or osx or linux, so i dont agree its a waste of money.
Old 16 July 2010, 17:00   #8
kriz

I agree, no waste at all !! Will be interesting to see you getting this up and run mjnurney
Old 16 July 2010, 17:16   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

It's the diversity of ongoing Amiga projects like this that make it so exciting to be a part of the Amiga community.

Take no notice of the ne'ersayers. Well done, guys!
Old 16 July 2010, 21:43   #10
mjnurney

i agree also, i just hope e-uae is easier to use than the osx version i use now, not so nice to use as winuae....and then the learning curve!

Last edited by mjnurney; 16 July 2010 at 22:10.
Old 17 July 2010, 00:14   #11
Dunny

Won't install on mine. So add AROS to the list (which currently contains Amithlon) that won't install on here

Runs fine from Live CD, but won't boot when installed. Shame, cos if I can install it, I can get rid of that awful icon set they have

D.
Old 17 July 2010, 01:33   #12
Jimbo

I don't understand what you think you can do on Aros? You have to run a program to run Amiga games which can be buggy at best. You can't encode or do anything you may wish to do on a normal PC. The best way is to use a dual screen setup with windoze and winuae, to me Aros is pointless unless someone can say what aros can do that linux/windoze dual screen uae can't? I myself run Linux and I also use a real Amiga. I just don't get this Aros rubbish. What is it you can do on a buggy os?
Old 17 July 2010, 07:29   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post

its a free download.... and I have plenty of PC junk to cobble together to have a play with.

its cost me nothing more that my spare time and a cheap-o Blank DVDR

besides I really am interested in trying out the in-line RunUAE and 68k Native Amiga Parser.

Also wanted to have a go with the reading Amiga Disks from the FDD drive and loading up a game or two - for fitz and giggles mind.

Eventually I would like to have this running on an SBC inside and alongside a native amiga - all networked up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Waste of money as well. Most all PC's will run this with a 3com internet card £3 from ebay and an old soundblaster £3. Graphics an old ati 9200 will work (my x800xt worked as is) . Just set up a new partition and dual boot. I removed mine though, never really liked it much
not sure about a waste of cach - after all you can get a fully supported intel atom for 35% cheaper than a new PS3 or X360 game - or about the same price a newly released PC game.

The Atoms are a great way to experiement with small form factor ideas and opperating systems and yeah... these ITX puppies can get expensive if you let them, there great little bits of kit that lend themselfs to a lot of solutions...

I have to admit, although I have Amithalon (thanks to a very kind and generious forum chummie here) I find ICAROS really easy to do - its a lot more intuitive and for the most part its a lot more compatible with newer kit.

Although this does all sound like what fruit machine addict would say if his addiction was say opperating systems and amiga
Old 17 July 2010, 12:54   #14
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Each to his own Jimbo, what you see as useless others see as a challenge, hobby, future os!. It may be useless now but so was Linux when it first came out.
Old 19 July 2010, 23:47   #15
mjnurney

Ok status so far...

All parts arrived,

intel D945GCLF2 itx atom dual core
win case

Aros installed , no drama but....

no network (LAN) as yet?
UAE crashes at launch
PS2 keyboard doesnt work

USB keybaord good.
Graphics good - GMA settings
sound - good
mouse - good

All other emulators work fine
Doom / Quake play perfectly

i will keep you updated with pics later....
Old 19 July 2010, 23:57   #16
Jimbo

Well this is why I say its pointless buying a whole new machine for software that is beta. It will be very buggy at best. Also would you mind telling us you are doing on here that winuae won't do? Either as a split screen winuae or a direct boot into winuae for all needs?
Old 20 July 2010, 17:42   #17
mjnurney

well for one im not using microsoft junk, which is a reason enough for me and im enjoying using a new OS. most of the problems i have are because i havent used Aros before i hope..

i would hate to spoil a PC by running windows on it.
Old 20 July 2010, 17:57   #18
Jimbo

I agree with you about windows, imo you are better off using a Linux distro with a Amiga window manager. Like this:

http://xwinman.org/amiwm.php

Last edited by Jimbo; 20 July 2010 at 18:42.
Old 20 July 2010, 19:40   #19
mjnurney

i may give it a try Jimbo if Aros seems too buggy! i ideal system is something thats looks Amiga-ry has UAE support , runs like the clappers and plays Defender of the crown lol :-)
Old 20 July 2010, 19:48   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
stick with Aros for a bit and lets see the pictures

there are pros and cons to everything and one man`s brass is another mans gold