English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 August 2010, 17:56   #541
s2325
Zone Friend

You have one of the best looking MSX clone.
Old 20 January 2016, 21:53   #542
SkulleateR

Wow ... six years since last post here

Anyone still love and use his MSX here ? I got a HitBit 75 and allways enjoy a good game of Castle and other old goodies
Old 20 January 2016, 22:14   #543
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
Wow ... six years since last post here

Anyone still love and use his MSX here ? I got a HitBit 75 and allways enjoy a good game of Castle and other old goodies

MSXer here ! MSXing since 1988 !
Proud owner of a MSX2+ (FS-A1WSX) which is my main gaming machine. MSX (& MSX Music) rulezzzzz !!!
Old 20 January 2016, 22:35   #544
Aegis
Gentleman

I was just playing Penguin Adventure on fMSX 060 today
Old 20 January 2016, 23:04   #545
LieutLaww

I had the Toshiba HX-10 MSX back in the day with every Konami Cart that was released in the UK and the entire catalogue of Mastertronic games and piles of others. Why oh why did I get rid of them all
Old 20 January 2016, 23:13   #546
SkulleateR

Never owned a MSX 2+ ... only got MSX and MSX2 ... but for all those classics it´s more than enough
Old 21 January 2016, 00:07   #547
idrougge

Philips NMS-8250 here.
Old 21 January 2016, 03:53   #548
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I will always love the MSX, since it was the machine where I learned to like gaming, how to read and how to code.

I have 3 MSXs, all of them are brazilian EXPERTS, one of them is a MSX2+ with 512 kb ram.

THis thread indeed is a blast from the past
Old 21 January 2016, 09:58   #549
LieutLaww

My MSX was my first computer that was bought by my nan, she said she had got a computer I was hoping for a C64 but out of the box came the MSX and I never looked back, I gamed, did simple coding and tried my hand at graphics on it as well.
Old 21 January 2016, 19:12   #550
SkulleateR

Just got my hands on an old NMS 8235 which I will try to refurbish ... need a new drive and some keyboard repairing but everything easy going
Old 21 January 2016, 19:59   #551
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Philips NMS-8250 here.
Same here (MSX2)

I've only started using it a week ago and I've installed a MegaFlashRom (nice Spanish hardware and software -Nextor-). Yesterday I've made a Multiboot with around 30 games. I've been playing The Goonies by Kralizec and I noticed it doesn't show some images. The instructions comment:

"Notes about DEMO GRAPHICS:

- some xtra screen12 images can be seen on MSX2+ and MSX TurboR. The same on
MSX2 if it's equipped with a VDP9958.
- these demo graphics are not compulsory to enjoy the game itself, which is
fully complete on MSX2-9938 and first generation MSX machines."

So I've ordered a chip VDP9958. I think I don't need anything else for that.

Edit: A MegaFlashRom is a new spanish cartridge that lets you use a Sd card and store all of the games there. A Multiboot is an option it has that lets you boot with it and then you select the game you want to play, a click on and you play it instantly.

Last edited by Retrofan; 21 January 2016 at 23:04.
Old 21 January 2016, 20:22   #552
Aegis
Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
My MSX was my first computer that was bought by my nan, she said she had got a computer I was hoping for a C64 but out of the box came the MSX and I never looked back, I gamed, did simple coding and tried my hand at graphics on it as well.
I had huge respect for the MSX games library - the C64 was great and has some terrific and really original games but the MSX had some fantastic arcade ports and Konami's stuff was just sublime - Metal Gear, Castlevania AND Snatcher? Oh my!!
Old 21 January 2016, 20:46   #553
Master484

I have owned a Canon V-20 and a Yashica YC-64 since childhood...both good MSX-1 machines and still working.

MSX is indeed a great gaming platform, with lots of good games on cartridges that you can load instantly. I have about 10 carts; Road Fighter, Super Snake, Mr.Ching, Step Up, Exa Innova and some others, and some 20 cassette games too.

And the in-built MSX-BASIC was excellent too, much better than most other basics at the time...it had very powerful commands for graphics and sound, you could for example make your own sound effects, switch display modes, put 32 hardware sprites on screen, and use a special "macro language" inside the basic for fast graphics drawing. But it was still an interpreted language, so those 32 sprites wouldn't necessarily move very fast across the screen, but it was a very cool way to learn programming as a kid.

There were even a few commercial games written 100% with MSX-Basic, although I think all of them were budget titles. At least "Coco in the Castle" and "Rocky Man" come to mind, I have both in casettes.
Old 21 January 2016, 22:53   #554
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Owning an MSX during my childhood is one of the most, if not the most, important aspect that defined the person I am today.

I learned to read on an MSX. I learned to love gaming on an MSX. The profession I have today, it's thanks to me having an MSX when I was a child and learning how to code on it.

My father buying an MSX (just for gaming at that point) had a huge impact on the person I would become.

And yeah, it's my fav 8bits machine gaming.

There are no better shmups than Aleste 2 and Space Manbow
Old 22 January 2016, 00:47   #555
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

As I am a beginner, I'm starting loving this machine. I've just seen this video playing Pengo: [ Show youtube player ]

It's a perfect port from the arcade, 100% accurate to me.

And you can download it for free as I've done from it's page: http://paxangasoft.retroinvaders.com/
Old 22 January 2016, 01:41   #556
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
As I am a beginner, I'm starting loving this machine. I've just seen this video playing Pengo: [ Show youtube player ]

It's a perfect port from the arcade, 100% accurate to me.

And you can download it for free as I've done from it's page: http://paxangasoft.retroinvaders.com/
The MSX-BASIC language is very powerfull too, and is very integrated with the MSX hardware.

More than a single computer brand like the Commodore Amiga was, the MSX/MSX2/MSX2+ was in fact three standards made by a japanese company called ASCII and by Microsoft, with the aim to compete with other 8-bit systems of the era (Commodore 64, IBM-PC XT, etc...). Thats why we see so many competing brands to manufacture the same home computer, exactly like is today with the IBM-PC.

The MSX was my first computer, and I was an owner specifically of a Gradiente MSX Expert equipped with a brazillian disk-drive interface and a 51/4 disk-drive.

Everyone that owned a MSX had the feel that it was the best home computer the money could buy, and we were very proud of it. My feel was that the MSX would survive forever, and years after was the same story with the Commodore Amiga.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 22 January 2016 at 02:10.
Old 22 January 2016, 08:42   #557
LieutLaww

What amazed me was what Konami did with some of its later releases like Nemesis 3, the music that came out of that game was great. Looking back now knowing what I know about computers and memory etc they really pushed the MSX. Sadly I never saw what the MSX 2 was capable off as I was already starting my move on in system history.
Old 22 January 2016, 09:33   #558
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

The MSX-BASIC was very good indeed. As for myself, while my friends switched from their C64 to the Amiga when the A500 was released I kept my C64 (I didn't like the Amiga back then). My dream machine was the MSX2, I remember we went in Spain to visit the family, the fatal blow was when I saw a demo of Vampire Killer (Castlevania) in the Corte Ingles mall, it was such a shock. Soon after I got my MSX (a Toshiba HX-10) from my cousin's friend who bought a NES, he sold me his MSX for the price of a NES cartridge. It was a great bargain, especially considering the number of cartridge that came with the MSX (among them was my all time favorite The Maze of Galious). I still had my C64 but it was collecting dust, I sold the C64 one year later and bought an import PC Engine in 1989, but still kept my MSX !

Oh, and while Amigan like to recall from time to time that there were Amiga at the NASA, did you know that there was a Sony MSX2 in the Russian space station MIR ! Yes dear friends, the MSX reached the stars !
Old 22 January 2016, 20:46   #559
Leffmann

We had two MSX machines at home in the late 80's and early 90's, a dark gray and silver Philips, and the white Spectravideo SVI 728 which I think was very common.

Being mostly used to the C64, the MSX with its many Japanese games almost seemed a bit exotic, and the MSX BASIC felt very professional compared to Microsofts earlier BASIC in the C64.

Is there any MSX games site where you can browse games by screenshot? I'd like to play some of the old games we had, but I can't remember any names, only what they looked like.
Old 23 January 2016, 04:16   #560
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Tell me what they look like, and I may tell you what are those games. I do have a kinda deep knowledge of the MSX games library

This site here:

http://www.generation-msx.nl/

is kinda like a HOL for MSX games