English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 February 2003, 07:57   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

PC Games...the memories

In CA, I regularly frequented thrift shops and would often find old game magazines for about 30 cents each. Most were the console variety, some were actually Amiga or Atari or C64, tons of thick, useless Mac mags, etc. I usually passed on the ridiculous PC game mags, as they were more like catalogs of ads, rather than reviews (and the few reviews that did exist were poorly written and seemed to rave about any game that had a full color, full page ad on the opposite page...) Well, one day I felt generous with my 30 cents and sprung for a copy of PC Games; even in retro, it's still a shite rag. I was gonna use it for toliet paper earlier, but ended up thumbing through it instead while I did my business. Great quote inside that I thought I'd share for laughs:
Quote:
Being on the edge may make for exciting programming possibilities, but it invites programming headaches, too. "The PC is a rapidly moving target," says Richard Garriott of Origin Systems. "Only two products ago, we used an 8086 machine at 4 megahertz with 640K of RAM and a single floppy drive. Now our 'typical computer' is a 386/25, with 4 megabytes of RAM and a 30-megabyte hard drive. You can't predict that kind of growth."
PC Games, June/July 1993
Old 25 February 2003, 08:44   #2
AmiGer

Happy

Now we have ten times more memory than the harddisk had...
Old 25 February 2003, 16:20   #3
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Those magazines are interesting to see what the state of technology was back in that era. I have a few PC Computing magazines from the early 90's that I didnt throw out and they are cool to look back on now.

Twistin'Ghost:
If you find more pc game mags of the 286/386/486 era buy them and ship them over to me! I would gladly pay the shipping and magazine costs for a dozen or 2 mags to look over.
Old 25 February 2003, 17:44   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hmmm...I may gather up the useless ones and do just that. I have some packages of my junk I do wanna keep that are (allegedly) en route and now have to start tossing junk to make room for it all. I had lots of space when I bought that stuff and the availability was so high at the time, which is why they were only 30 cents. I only needed them for some cross-reference info for my database (and a few ads that also applied to Amiga versions of games). Beyond that, they are just taking up space, but I can see how they would hold appeal for oldschool PC gamers. I'll try to dig a little deeper tonight and see how much of this stuff I have.
Old 25 February 2003, 18:08   #5
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Hmmm...I may gather up the useless ones and do just that. I have some packages of my junk I do wanna keep that are (allegedly) en route and now have to start tossing junk to make room for it all. I had lots of space when I bought that stuff and the availability was so high at the time, which is why they were only 30 cents. I only needed them for some cross-reference info for my database (and a few ads that also applied to Amiga versions of games). Beyond that, they are just taking up space, but I can see how they would hold appeal for oldschool PC gamers. I'll try to dig a little deeper tonight and see how much of this stuff I have.
Ok let me know, I assume there is a cheaper book/media rate for shipping old magazines because they end up wheighing a ton.
Old 25 February 2003, 20:16   #6
Amiga1992

I have teh whole Compute collection from 1992 through 1994 or something like that. I was subscribed to Compute's Gazette, and when that went down the bin they kept sending me the PC shite.

They are good toilette-reading material
Old 25 February 2003, 21:35   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
Ok let me know, I assume there is a cheaper book/media rate for shipping old magazines because they end up wheighing a ton.
Yeah, there is a media/book rate that is cheaper. I'll scope it all out.