English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 09 December 2002, 13:57   #21
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Being a point'n'click fan, there were a few games that made me (eventually) go after the PC, namely;

Indy & Last Crusade,(CD Rom talkie version), Day of the Tentacle (ditto), the later Leisure suit Larry games etc.
Old 09 December 2002, 14:29   #22
Guede

It's been 11 years since I owned my Amiga, and up untill mid last year, that was the last time I used computers.
Thinking back then, I can honestly say that there was nothing that any other machine could do that made me want one. Especially the P.C. Probably the only thing I envied was lucky bastards with more powerfull miggies. (I had A1000 & A500)

Shit! Half the people I knew that owned other machines would envy the Amiga when I showed it off to them.
Old 09 December 2002, 15:43   #23
misguided_fool

Interesting......

When I had my last amiga, almost every game on the Amiga was far superior to those on the PC (then again I am talking about a low end PC - a 286 /386)

But then when the likes of Alone in the Dark / Little Big Adventure / Dark Forces started to appear - the Amiga struggled to compete due to the PC's open architechture.
e.g. / if the machine was under spec, you could just go and get some extra memory, throw it in and away you went (cost an arm and a leg though....)

So I would say the game that made me wanna ditch my amiga was Alone in the Dark - I was blown away when I saw that first on my mates PC. I dont think the PC has looked back since - it made me realise the amiga was sadly gonna become 2nd best.

But hey! We've got WinUAE now - and you cant beat a bit of nostalgia. I can honestly say i'd rather be playing kick off 2, gods etc on the emulator than any PC games at the moment. You cant beat a game with great gameplay. Nothing else really matters.
Old 09 December 2002, 16:34   #24
Bobbin

Indiana Jones 4. At that time LucasArts always denied a conversion (and we all knew how long it took then, wasn't even made by LucasArts themselves). At that time LucasArts made me shift computers.

Indiana Jones 3 wasn't available for C64 -> Switch to Amiga
Indiana Jones 4 wasn't available for Amiga -> Switch to PC

Alone In The Dark also was one of the games which were announced for PC only, although it could have been easily converted to Amiga. Then the PC demo-scene grew and my Amiga went the way of the flea market
Old 09 December 2002, 16:46   #25
Marcuz

@misguisedfool: yep i'mwith you about gameplay... and i was a little pissed when i was introduced to the upgrade frenzy that pc had (and of course have) as legacy

@7-zark-7: Day of the tentacle! i have just rem that i was so wow about that game that i had redesigned its font on that crappy font editor of workbench for my own! glory days...
Old 09 December 2002, 21:24   #26
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobbin
Indiana Jones 4. At that time LucasArts always denied a conversion [...] At that time LucasArts made me shift computers.
Man, that sucks. I love the Amiga version
Old 10 December 2002, 13:10   #27
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Man, that sucks. I love the Amiga version
Really Akira? I've never bothered trying the miggy version. I was put off both it & Monkey Island 2, by the horrendus disk count & The One's review saying that Indy 4 slowed down dramatically in parts-that was one conversion begging for hard disks & a '020/30 processor, well beyond the A500 floppy machines most of us could afford at the time!

@Marco. Yep, that was a vintage era with those adventure games. Hopefully Revolution will be able to revive things again, (with Broken Sword 3), though obviously its not the same as say "Sam & Max" was.
Old 10 December 2002, 14:36   #28
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Really Akira? `[...] I was put off both it & Monkey Island 2, by the horrendus disk count
well, I have been an Amiga HD owner since day one, so...

The slowdown was bearable, but yes it sucked. It all plays like a dream now on my 030
Old 26 December 2002, 18:39   #29
Withnail

I can't believe I played and finished Monkey Island 2, I had no hard disk (the prices were bloody ridiculous!!) 11 disks of constant swapping but it still made me miss meals and not see the light of day for a while, I like the PC version better for that but the sound effects just aren't in the same league as the Amiga version!

Old 27 December 2002, 14:01   #30
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I rememeber the only thing that stopped me from purchasing a used A1200 in 1994 was the fact that Panzer General was not going to be produced for it. The PC, Mac, PSX and even the cruddy 3DO got it.
So I saved my money aand bought a PSX.
With Panzer General, mais oui.
Old 27 December 2002, 14:02   #31
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally posted by Withnail
I can't believe I played and finished Monkey Island 2, I had no hard disk (the prices were bloody ridiculous!!) 11 disks of constant swapping but it still made me miss meals and not see the light of day for a while, I like the PC version better for that but the sound effects just aren't in the same league as the Amiga version!
The Mac version is better than both in my opinion.
Old 27 December 2002, 15:24   #32
Amiga1992

The Mac version is very special

Hey, yesterday I knocked another PC game outf of its pedestal. When I had my Amiga the pathetic PCers kept on babbling about "Alone in the Dark"... Yesterday I downloaded one of those (Alone in the Dark 3, I think), and it's one of the BIGGEST pieces of garbage I ever had the disgrace to "play".

And how about "The 7th Guest" ? Horrible unplayable cack.
Old 28 December 2002, 03:30   #33
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Alone in the Dark 1 is a very interesting arcade adventure game, with some nice puzzles and a few good action places. IMO , it beats the crap out of Resident Evil easily.

Never played any other Alone in the dark game.

Now 7th Guest is really crap.
Old 28 December 2002, 21:29   #34
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Both "alone" and "7th" are chock full of puzzles. Alone is ugly.
It looks like it was designed by an 11 year old on downers. Its slow as hell and generally sadly overrated. I can't see how you chose it over RE, Shatty, but to each his own. the puzzle are better on Alone, though. Maybe that's why?
I own 7th Guest. I like it, really. It's not as free flowing as RE or Alone, but the puzzles are nifty, if illogical and unintuative at times.
The game I really loved was "Mansion of Hidden Souls". I worked at Radio Shack, and they were showing off the first pentiums back in 94.
The game they loved to showcase was Mansion. I spent lot's of company time playing that beaut.
Looking back on it's extremely limited interface and lack of freedom of movement, it's a glorified "The Uninvited" or "Shadowgate". Being those 2 are amoung my favourite of all games, how can it not be one of my faves as well?

The Amiga, PPC, can handle any of these games.
And Panzer General. The Mac 68040's handles PG, so your Amiga with 68040 can as well.
Old 28 December 2002, 23:03   #35
Nyarlathotep
Zone Friend

Day of the Tentacle.
Old 29 December 2002, 17:01   #36
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Unfortunately, most of the games that never made it to the Amiga had nothing whatsoever to do with whether the machine could "handle" the game. A publishing house only has one thing on its mind and if they thought they could sell enough copies, they'd port GTA3 to the Speccy!
Old 29 December 2002, 17:19   #37
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Although your posts are few and far between lately, Twist, they are refreshing as usual. Well said.
Old 30 December 2002, 01:11   #38
Marcuz

i agree with the two last posts... but that's the point, if there were missed conversions that made you sigh back then! i still hope someone would like to convert ubisoft' POD for amiga!
Old 30 December 2002, 09:08   #39
Pyromania

I don't envy any PC games but it would be nice if the Amiga had a port of the Playstation 2 game GTA Vice City.
Old 31 December 2002, 04:46   #40
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
the puzzle are better on Alone, though. Maybe that's why?
That's exactly why. I have only played RE 1 and 2. I find RE 1's puzzles to be very stupid. RE 2 it's a bit better, but not that much. Alone in the Dark indeed is ugly, but it's on par with the 3D quality of that time. And it's not much slower than Resident Evil . The "action" in Alone is also a bit better, but not exactly good. At least it's better than "Hold L1 + x and wait until Zombie dies" .

... the game that nearly made me drop my Amiga and get a PC back in the old days was Alley Cat...