English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 09 March 2009, 22:28   #1
DalwigSa

Amiga Explorer and TCP/IP

Hi!

I used Amiga Explorer a long time with a serial connection. For a couple of weeks I bought a X-Surf 3 to get more speed using this nice tool. But I can't get it to work. My configuration

Amiga side:
- Amiga 2000 (GVP 68030 @ 40 Mhz)
- OS 3.9
- X-Surf 3
- Genesis & AmiTCP
- AExplorer 2008

Windows side:
- Windows Vista
- AExplorer 2008

On the windows side the port 356 is free (needed for AExplorer). On the Amiga side I'am not really sure how to give this port free (there is a hint on the Cloanto webside, but it won't work). My problem is, that a connection is not possible. I can ping the Amiga from the PC when Ethernet is running, but that is all. Is there anybody who knows how to config it right? I google'd a lot, but can not find anything that helps me out.

Thanks for help!

Old 09 March 2009, 23:23   #2
thomas

Edit AmiTCP:db/inet.access and change "deny" into "allow". That's all.
Old 10 March 2009, 09:03   #3
DalwigSa

That was also the hint from Cloanto, but in my inet.access all entries are on "Allow" right after installation of Genesis.

From AExplorer website:

"Users of the GENESiS TCP/IP software as distributed in the "Amiga OS 3.9" package may have all ports from 0 to 1023 blocked by default ("$ *.*.*.* deny LOG" line in "AmiTCP:db/inet.access" file). To allow Amiga Explorer to access port 356, add a line with "356 *.*.*.* allow LOG" before the line blocking all other ports (lines are processed top to bottom)."

This line "$ *.*.*.*" has never exists in my inet.access. Nevertheless I tried it with "356 *.*.*.* allow LOG", but i also won't work. And (this confused me very much) by using the GUI to config Genesis, it is not possible to enter this. It only accepts correct IP adresses without a port as a prefix (Tab "Access" in the Genesis Config Tool).

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by DalwigSa; 10 March 2009 at 09:12.

Old 10 March 2009, 09:12   #4
thomas

When you start AExplorer, make sure it says "CONNECTION: TCP/IP".

Make sure that the passwords in AExplorer (Amiga component) and Amiga Explorer (PC component) are the same.

Watch the Genesis main window for messages while you try to access AExplorer.
Old 10 March 2009, 09:17   #5
DalwigSa

The connection is set to "AUTO", when I start AExplorer it says that it uses TCP/IP. So I think it works fine.

Passwords are set on Amiga and PC side to empty.

If I try to access the Amiga, I get no reaction in the AmiTCP Window, only some error messages about Samba (they appear also, when I not try to access via AExplorer). But, as told, a ping to the Amiga is still possible.

Old 10 March 2009, 10:35   #6
thomas

Check that the IP address in Amiga Explorer is set to that of the Amiga.

And also try to ping the PC from the Amiga.
Old 10 March 2009, 10:39   #7
DalwigSa

The IP adresss of Amiga Explorer on the Windows side is set to the right IP adress of the Amiga.

I try to ping the PC from the Amiga in the evening, I'am at work now.

Old 12 March 2009, 12:55   #8
DalwigSa

Smile

Thank you for the support, it works now.

I have disabled Inetd and enter the IP of my router as gateway. Also the destination IP in Genesis I set on 192.168.0.1.

And, very important, the password of the AExplorer Tooltypes had also to be changed. I played around with the User Password of Root in the Genesis Config, but that was not the password to enable access to AExplorer (and had to be the same as on the Windows side of Amiga Explorer). Mybe this was my main problem.

But I figured out it is all a bit slow. I tried with the packet size as mentioned in other postings, but it felt not very faster as with the standard packet size (4096). Is there any possibility to speed up a little bit more?

Old 12 March 2009, 16:31   #9
thomas

Use packet size 32768. And change the packet size of both components.