English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 May 2017, 10:02   #61
Overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
And if people keep badgering about this kind issue publicly, and creating stress for the developers, people will push them out and we'll end up empty-handed. Kipper had already expressed discomfort with the situation and said he'd quit, and we don't want that.
Im afraid anyone developing anything in Amiga land has to develop a rhinothick skin to deal with the inevitable shitstorm that suddenly hit them.
Its ofcourse easy for me to say "ignore the noise", since Im not the target for it, but looking how the Amigaworld.net thread over AOL/Amigakit ran wild with next to nothing information, it shows me atleast, than developers have to just hit the big ignore button at times.
Old 31 May 2017, 10:59   #62
jack-3d
kLiker

Thank you Amigakit and thank you Apollo team. Vampire is very good piece of HW and what I love the most is the Vampire get more enabled features core by core (of course I know it is not never-ending).

Stuff that is 100% stable running under the Vampire is running fantastic. Stuff that is not yet running well (FPU demanding apps, some RTG stuff with glitches) will be running sooner or later.

Waiting time is usual when you wait for top stuff. You can go and buy ordinary Ford Fiesta right now, but you will always wait for the latest Ferrari even when you paid it year ago.

You ALL developers deserve way better respect from community then you get here on EAB. Please bear in mind haters are just a minority, the majority supports you ;o)
Old 31 May 2017, 11:19   #63
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Indeed.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:35   #64
majsta
www.majsta.com

@jack-3d thank you, I really needed to see comment like that, it is huge boost for my moral.
Old 31 May 2017, 17:49   #65
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by majsta View Post
@jack-3d thank you, I really needed to see comment like that, it is huge boost for my moral.
i think it goes without saying that your contribution to the comunity is unprecedented. keep it on!
Old 31 May 2017, 22:14   #66
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, in fact I've been waiting not some months, but some years. I want a Vampire A1200... and I don't complain so much, I'll wait for my Ferrari
Old 31 May 2017, 22:22   #67
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
Im afraid anyone developing anything in Amiga land has to develop a rhinothick skin to deal with the inevitable shitstorm that suddenly hit them.
And this is the issue I am addressing, it's absolutely dismal that this happens, and it does NOT happen on other retro-computer communities. I don't understand the animosity in the Amiga community, it must have to do with being fucked over and over and over in every orifice year after year, with empty promises, vaporware and scams, plus all the drama regarding the ownership of the brand/IP/etc pertaining the computer.

It has grown to be a very bitter crowd that could potentially hurt the creation of the products they are so longing for.

majsta, doubt for no second that what you and kipper do is incredibly appreciated, even by those, like me, who don't consider the Vampire to be right for them. I am sad you guys have to face shit over and over regarding your project.
Old 31 May 2017, 22:39   #68
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, in fact I've been waiting not some months, but some years. I want a Vampire A1200... and I don't complain so much, I'll wait for my Ferrari
Remember, Ferrari is made by Fiat

I am also extremely interested in V1200, I am even building a dedicated Amiga just for it.
Old 01 June 2017, 09:51   #69
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
It has grown to be a very bitter crowd that could potentially hurt the creation of the products they are so longing for.
It is bizarre, isn't it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the note from the German customs people that I have to go and pay them money, so that I can argue about the current status of CETA and its impact upon import duties.
Old 01 June 2017, 11:02   #70
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
This is wonderful. I hope that now the Apollo Team can focus on the Vampire A1200.

And now that you've had those boards-announced-gone out of stock you can feel what kind of demand there is here outside.
to be honest I sometimes think people waiting for A1200 support do not fully understand the concept of the project. It is basically building up a standardized new 68k platform with identical environment with only differences in speed (different FPGA) and perhaps available RAM. The important features like RTG over HDMI or SAGA and OS options 3.1 and AROS will be identical. The Amiga hardware is only used for keyboard and interfaces, the original chipset is replaced with integrated SAGA. Finally there will be no difference if you run software on A500, A600 or A1200 or whatever hardware with vampire or if you use the standalone device(s).

Last edited by OlafSch; 01 June 2017 at 12:18.
Old 01 June 2017, 11:34   #71
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
to be honest I sometimes think people waiting for A1200 support do not fully understand the conecept of the project.
To be more exact > we are waiting for Vampire to be compatible with A1200 hardware as well, nothing else. I just have A1200 that is desperately waiting for its accelerator, not A500 or A600
Old 01 June 2017, 11:43   #72
OlafSch

ah ok that is the goal when chipset is part of FPGA AGA, ECS or whatever from host system is no longer used
Old 01 June 2017, 12:12   #73
jack-3d
kLiker

I would guess most of us do not have just one Amiga computer, but more. Personally I still stick with my A4000T/060/PPC/RTG/AHI soundcard/Deneb. Just like Predseda I also have some spare Amigas which I want to use with new HW projects like Vampire, Terrible Fire, Wicher etc...

I am so happy there are new things around Amiga and because I am not a programmer or developer the only how I can help to these project is to support them by buying the nice new stuff and do testing and reporting.

Yes somebody can say with Vampire inside Amiga the Amiga itself will become just a "shell with keyboard" because Vampire will replace 68k by FPGA with Apollo Core, OCS/ECS/AGA by SAGA, Paula by Pamela, add a lot of RAM, ethernet and USB modules are in plan as well... And I say I want exactly that, so keep it up Apollo guys ;o)
Old 01 June 2017, 13:22   #74
Seiya

FPGA on Amiga should be used only to increment power and not to transform it in a PC compatibile (SAGA, Pamela and AMMX are not real good things in an Amiga).
In the future Amiga will be remembered like a PC clone..

Apollo Team are too ambitious
Old 01 June 2017, 13:30   #75
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
FPGA on Amiga should be used only to increment power and not to transform it in a PC compatibile (SAGA, Pamela and AMMX are not real good things in an Amiga).

Are you on other forums not praising NG hardware that is not related to amiga at all with different processor and standard hardware? Gunnar said that Pamela is what was planned for AAA-chipset SAGA is a improved implementation of AGA The only really new addition is AMMX I do not understand what you are talking about
Old 01 June 2017, 13:42   #76
gregthecanuck

Quote:
FPGA on Amiga should be used only to ...

Sure, that explains the over 2500 pre-orders: http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/

And it definitely explains why AmigaKit's first shipment sold out almost immediately.

Far too ambitious. What are they thinking??
Old 01 June 2017, 13:50   #77
grond

Quote:
Another philosopher...
Old 01 June 2017, 13:55   #78
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Old 01 June 2017, 14:06   #79
Mr-Z

Quote:

-I Really like AMMX on my Amiga, finally i can watch a video on decent FPS and a resolution that is actually not hurting my eyes.
-Pamela i also will like, it will be an extended Paula.
-SAGA i really like, finally i can run workbench in a nice 720P res on my A600, do mind that the RTG is only a part of SAGA.

If you are looking for an Amiga PC clone go OS4 hardware, there's your PC clone right there.
Not that i dislike the OS4 hardware, it's just not my thing.

I cannot see how these new features could be bad ?
If i read between the lines you do not want any progress at all and be stuck in 1992 forever ?!
Old 01 June 2017, 14:31   #80
Signman

With Seiya , I see we have Amiga fundamentalists.

Negative comments (as opposed to constructive criticism) has too much influence over us. One person yells at you to screw off and the rest of the day all good interactions are overlooked.

The biggest complaint I see is that people can't get the Vampire fast enough. Good problem to have.