English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 November 2016, 13:08   #61
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Enemies: well, I did said I'm considering it but nothing is definite for the moment. Perhaps I'll only enrich those designs and keep them either as universal enemy types or separate "species" along with others or outside the main game in a special mode (like the survival one). We'll see

Closed areas, I've considered the possibility but I'm not sure it fits current play style which is fast and requires great maneuverability and space. Though in story mode it's possible that we'll see more some more focus on level design and more confined or tight places, in general the game is not meant to be heavy on exploration but rather more focused on the action side.

Regarding spawners, we have those thoughts, yes. Generally when it comes to story mode we're still in the grey area with most of the details unclear for the moment. But we'll get there eventually
Old 24 November 2016, 15:30   #62
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

From these few images I have seen, I'd also say there is a slight disconnect from the abstract looking sprites/bobs to the rather "zelda-ish" background.

Other than that small niggle, graphics are really really nice.
Old 24 November 2016, 16:56   #63
idrougge

I think the graphical style is splendid. Very PC Engine-ish.
Old 03 December 2016, 03:16   #64
Anakirob
Unregistered User

I've finally gotten around to giving your "survival mode" demo a play. It's pretty fun, and I eagerly await the finished product. I'm curious to see where "story mode" goes. Kudos on the weapon switching system idea, this is the first time I've seen such a method used in a game, it works well.

I don't know if you've considered and rejected this idea already, but what I'd really like to see implemented is the ability to lock the firing direction by holding fire. Although I suppose this could potentially cause issues with the weapon switching system if the player wanted to change firing direction quickly while keeping the same weapon active, I don't think it would be a much of a problem, and would make the game that much more playable, and make closed areas a bit more feasible as you could cover the entrance with your fire while dodging foes coming through said opening.

Another thing I'd like to see (hear), is some kind of background sound, either music or background sound effects. The sound effects are fine, but overall the sound is a bit sparse, and can have large periods of complete silence. Ok, so music and gameplay sound effects at the same time might be a bit much, although I seem to recall reading a thread on EAB about a Protracker replay routine which allows playback of samples. But background noise should be doable. Are you really using all four channels of audio?

Oh, and the enemy spawn rate for survival mode could be upped a little at the start, I seemed to spend quite a bit of time at the beginning of a game all on my own roaming around the map in search of something to shoot. But I understand this is an early demo.

I don't really get any of the complaints in this thread about graphic style. The main sprite looks like a fireball to me, and I don't see any, umm, style clash, between the foes and the environment. They look like they belong together to me.
Old 03 December 2016, 07:00   #65
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I probably won't play this since I don't own an AGA machine and I am not much into emulation.

I personally find the graphics lovely, very colorful, very nice... and there's no problem with the setting. You don't need every shoot'em up to be "sci-fi", there are many great examples that have different settings. And then this is no scrolling shoot'em up, it's more like in the vein of games like Alien Syndrome and The Chaos Engine.

Regarding the gameplay... I haven't played, just read opinions and saw the gameplay video... but I personally think you could add some different control methods.

1) the one already in the game.
2) a 2 button method with button 2 changing weapons, and hold direction while hold fire button
3) a 1 button method where you can hold direction while hold fire button, double click changes weapon if you have not changed direction between clicks.
4) a 1 button method where you can hold direction and space bar change weapon.

Of course, this is just a suggestion, maybe it mess up completely the design you guys thought for the game or you are just not bothered to do something like this.. it's allright

Also, any chance of sharing this Blitz Basic configuration for Notepad++? It could be very handy in the near future
Old 03 December 2016, 08:53   #66
earok

Thanks for the feedback guys

@Anakirob We are currently using four channels BUT it's unlikely you'll hear them all at once, for instance with shots we alternate between the left channels and right channels. In game music is still on the cards but we haven't nailed down exactly how we're going to handle it.

@ShatterHand we're indeed working on special 2 button and CD32 pad configurations. You'll have the option to use Fire 1 to shoot and swap weapon and Fire 2 to open shop, OR Fire 1 to shoot left weapon, Fire 2 to shoot right weapon (and both to open the shop). CD32 pad will include some additional button support in order to ensure the game is fully keyboard independent when played on CD32 consoles (and Desktop Amigas with CD32 pad equipped).

Attached is my blitz basic user defined language for NotePad++, which includes colour formatting for most of the keywords of the core language.
Attached Files
File Type: zip userDefineLang.zip (2.8 KB, 309 views)
Old 03 December 2016, 16:52   #67
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@Anakirob : A response from me as well:

The lock on direction idea has been reviewed indeed but was rejected. I've already implemented this on Chaos Guns but for Alarcity it's no good really. There are a number of reasons for that: Alarcity's playstyle is considerably faster and requires constant moving around to avoid enemies and quick direction changes to attack incoming badies around you. Also the character sprite is not a good fit for this kind of movement plus the weapons changing system poses extra issues. Lastly the weapon design itself is meant to capitalise on this seemingly lack of a 'lock on direction' feat. In need of a wider area of attack? Just choose the 'spread' weapon or some similar one (more types will come basically). Want to move backwards and continue your attack (just like in Alien Breed) but no 'retreat mode'? No problem! Just use your 'backfire' weapon and voila!

Sound&Music, as Erik mentioned we're looking into it. We'd pretty much love to have music in-game but we'll see if it's possible or good enough. An alternative we're considering are ambient sounds.

Good points on the enemy spawn rate! In V1.0 demo this will be much rectified with many more enemies/enemy types added, including "passive-non agressive ones" that will be present at game start so as for the level never to be empty or void of things to do (some extra items collecting is also an option).

Regarding the graphics style, I understand the criticism (some of the points at least). I've done some work past days on the issues raised and the result already feels like a step in the right direction. Will show you guys soon
Old 03 December 2016, 21:30   #68
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

blobs, blobs, MORE blobs!

Sooner than expected, here's a first look on the refreshed enemy designs! Added more hues and corrected some colors, rectified the shapes to make them look less flat and fixed the anims to give them more plasticity and bounce!

Last edited by Tsak; 10 April 2017 at 23:48.
Old 03 December 2016, 22:23   #69
Gzegzolka

That's so nice I love those jelly blobs ^^
Old 04 December 2016, 08:02   #70
Selur

More HARIBO in the forest
Old 04 December 2016, 21:21   #71
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

V1.0 menus!

One step of improvement for the menus as well! Still no concept art in place but a bit cleaner and more stylish than before.

Last edited by Tsak; 10 April 2017 at 23:50.
Old 05 December 2016, 22:03   #72
Gzegzolka

While background still looks chaotic and do not fit Your game, I must admit I like fonts They have cool style.
Old 05 December 2016, 22:54   #73
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Well, side by side the mix is not bad, it has that overall arcade looks that I wanted in the first place. Other than that, yes it's not 'there' yet. For the next step I'd like to experiment with an actual theme based back that will be more relevant.

Current one serves it's purpose for now and for the needs of the upcoming demo. Flags for survival
Old 05 December 2016, 23:07   #74
Amigajay

Great stuff guys, looks tidy, in both meanings of the word!
Old 24 December 2016, 13:17   #75
torturedutopian

Forgive me if I overlooked this (didn't read the whole thread). What about a dual stick mode ? (as llamatron allows)
Very enthuasstic about your project. Take your time
Old 25 December 2016, 00:17   #76
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Just noticed the announcement of pre-orders, I don't have any cash at the moment, but as soon as I do I think I'd be tempted to buy one of the boxed versions. But I was wondering just what is the "extra game content" promised in the Gold version?
Old 25 December 2016, 09:58   #77
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

@torturedutopian: Interesting
But not that many Amiga users own a dual stick (if any?). Also ability to independantly shoot and move clashes with the weapons design which is funded upon the absence of such a feat as is the case with the 'retreat mode' and 'lock on direction' mentioned above.

@Anakirob: Extra levels and possibly extra weapons, items or collectables. This will be largely determined later in development & close to the actual final release.
Old 25 December 2016, 10:44   #78
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Extra levels alone sounds worth it, but I am on a budget, is there a chance that one will be able to buy the Silver package and then later upgrade to Gold via some kind of DLC arrangement?
Old 25 December 2016, 22:10   #79
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

It's possible though I don't see us selling any DLC (and anyway we wouldn't like to charge someone extra just for it alone). One possibility would be to release it as a free patch later down the road for the Silver/Normal version owners.
Old 28 December 2016, 16:04   #80
torturedutopian

@Tsak : indeed, very few people use a dual sticks setup on the Amiga. I use my Amiga (MiST actually) in an arcade cabinet. No problem, just asking in case. In fact, I only know two games that support this (a Pong clone with a Turrican character called Super Obliterator and Llamatron). I don't think people would bother using 2 joysticks or the keyboard to use this feature