English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 September 2007, 00:26   #1
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

the amiga in poland ?

please s2325 could you explain when the amiga arrive in poland, in fact the history of the amiga in poland
Old 26 September 2007, 00:47   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Sorry, but I don't know when, I was very busy playing my Atari XE/XL games in that time.
Old 26 September 2007, 00:48   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Indeed, i would be interested in a social / political point of view, as well as Checoslovacia and estern block states...

under the wests media curtain we dont get to know about other countries / european states (unless its arguaing about the legal size of a sausage! LOL)
Old 26 September 2007, 00:55   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe you should ask on ppa.pl forum.
Old 26 September 2007, 00:57   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I might just do that... it would be interesting to see what effect the Amiga had over the other half of europe!

thanks S2325.
Old 26 September 2007, 01:07   #6
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
ELBOX - Poland

There must have been/be quite a Polish user base...
Old 26 September 2007, 09:32   #7
Graham Humphrey

Weren't there quite a lot of Polish games as well?
Old 26 September 2007, 09:53   #8
viddi

@ Graham:

Yes, these games came out in the mid-90s.
This explains a lot.

While the Amiga was dying in Western Europe, many East European computer freaks were able to get their hands on Amigas.

Especially Polish Amiga games have a certain charm.
It also reflects the time of changes, I reckon.
Old 26 September 2007, 14:37   #9
humble worm

From my point of view... In late 80's some people I knew had already 8bit platforms - mostly sinclairs. I saw an amiga for first time in... guess it was 1991 - I lived then in a small town, so I think in bigger towns/cities it appeared few years earlier. The first unit I saw was bought in Germany by a guy who worked there as a season gastarbeiter (and think it was typical that time as many Poles went to Germany to work at farms in summer ). Anyway in early 90's there were already so called copy parties in my town (at saturdays, often took place in school buildings) where one could watch demos or buy/swap hardware and software (it was mostly about buying pirated games).

Do not know much about development of Polish demo scene, but Polish demos were much better than Polish amiga games (the explosion of polish amiga games in mid 90's remains mistery for me). Remember that one time I went to local computer shop to buy a game for CD32... I interrupted shopkeeper who was working on something. I saw that "something" from behind his back (and there was already gossip in the town that he is making a beat'em up game). Few days ago I got very suprised when saw the game in HOL : http://hol.abime.net/4883

Last edited by humble worm; 26 September 2007 at 14:45.
Old 26 September 2007, 14:52   #10
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Indeed, i would be interested in a social / political point of view, as well as Checoslovacia and estern block states...

under the wests media curtain we dont get to know about other countries / european states (unless its arguaing about the legal size of a sausage! LOL)
CZECHOSLOVAKIA !!!

Before 1990 only few people had Amigas, usually they got them from relatives in western countries, after 1990 Amigas were sold but were very expensive at that time cause salaries were low. During 1991-93 prizes went down and salaries went up, that's why a lot of fuckeres bought PCs
ZX Spectrum and its clones (Didaktik M,Gama) were used a lot by teenagers in 80s.
And social / political point of view ? WTF?
Old 26 September 2007, 15:19   #11
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
And social / political point of view ? WTF?
Well... if you had a home computer in 80's (especially such a technical miracle like amiga)... or WENT TO SCHOOL WITH SANDWICH & BANANA instead of sandwich & apple (no kidding)... it meant that you had REAL money (dollar, deutsche mark) or/and had contact with the West... and that was not OFFICIALLY aproved and was a bit fishy

Last edited by humble worm; 26 September 2007 at 15:32.
Old 26 September 2007, 15:59   #12
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble worm View Post
From my point of view... In late 80's some people I knew had already 8bit platforms - mostly sinclairs. I saw an amiga for first time in... guess it was 1991 - I lived then in a small town, so I think in bigger towns/cities it appeared few years earlier. The first unit I saw was bought in Germany by a guy who worked there as a season gastarbeiter (and think it was typical that time as many Poles went to Germany to work at farms in summer ). Anyway in early 90's there were already so called copy parties in my town (at saturdays, often took place in school buildings) where one could watch demos or buy/swap hardware and software (it was mostly about buying pirated games).

Do not know much about development of Polish demo scene, but Polish demos were much better than Polish amiga games (the explosion of polish amiga games in mid 90's remains mistery for me). Remember that one time I went to local computer shop to buy a game for CD32... I interrupted shopkeeper who was working on something. I saw that "something" from behind his back (and there was already gossip in the town that he is making a beat'em up game). Few days ago I got very suprised when saw the game in HOL : http://hol.abime.net/4883

and SensibleFan:

Very interesting!
Old 26 September 2007, 16:22   #13
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

indeed, fascinating!
Old 26 September 2007, 17:15   #14
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
almost all miggys in those days was "smuggled" abroad, from germany or austria
(as mine, hehe). There werent any standard shops with any goods from west.
just few special shops called TUZEX (which accepts only special currency, long story). I just can tell im glad its already passed u know
Old 26 September 2007, 17:34   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Chain

indeed, i have no doubt that you are glad its passed... the thing that interestes me, (after all i have traveled quite a bit to many different countries) is that people are people, some are proud some are arogant, but by and large people I would say are good and relatively simliar in wants / needs etc no matter were you go.

However in "the west" we get such an eskewed look its not even funny.. infact its quite sickening, with most of the time its for some basic propganda etc etc.. but with the global event of the internet a lot of that crap has been blasted away, I just hope regionalizing doesn`t take place, that sucks.

its fair enough to say that you guys really had the UNDERGROUND scene! lol. i am just curious about it, after all it was ilegal to sell Amigas in some countries at one point, would it of been illegal to own them ?.
Old 26 September 2007, 18:06   #16
humble worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
just few special shops called TUZEX (which accepts only special currency, long story).
In Poland the shops were called PEWEX
Old 26 September 2007, 18:08   #17
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
In Poland the shops were called PEWEX
And later they were renamed to BALTONA
Old 26 September 2007, 18:10   #18
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
please s2325 could you explain when the amiga arrive in poland, in fact the history of the amiga in poland
Recently on PPA.pl we had some interesting interview with the founder of one of the many polish software houses - Twin Spark Soft. This person was also a cofounder of Amiga Commodore Club which was founded in 1988.
Old 26 September 2007, 18:28   #19
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Well, I don't recall whether the communism had any effect on computer industry in Poland. In fact, for me it was even ignored. When I bought my first C64 in 1990 (after the fall down of communism) it was something very sophisticated and not many people knew how to deal with it. Having read about copy parties held before 1989 it seems to me that computer freaks had better access and knew what is going on behind the western curtain than anyone else in the country. You need to know that in those times when you had friends abroad you were monitored by government and militia.
Old 01 October 2007, 14:18   #20
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
indeed, fascinating!
I took it from Giddens' Sociology I dont know about any sociological or political points of view, what are you talking about, you serious people