English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 September 2016, 19:59   #81
trixster
Guru Meditating

Just a quick thread update to say Ive now tested my config with a 20" dell 2001fp (June 2005 revision) and 50hz scrolling works perfectly. So that's the Viewsonic VP2030b and the 2001fp that are confirmed working with Indi AGA II and pal 50hz.
Old 23 October 2016, 09:07   #82
cugar124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eny- View Post
So, will there be a work-around for the problems reported for games? Maybe with updated software?

I wanted to get one but I use my miggy for gaming only.
Has someone tried to write a new version of jens software yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymarcao View Post
Hello everybody, I'm Mark From Brazil. and these days I bought the Single Indivision AGA Mk2 Computers A1200, and realized that it does not work perfectly in 50hz ... and a lot of people complaining ... after 2 days stirring could solve any problem, it works to 50hz with the perfect scroll without jumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymarcao View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Well, seems I forgot to apply as you say! Now it scrolls a lot smoother, almost as good as a 50Hz CRT but not quite! The only issue is, the 800x600 mode is in a small window with black borders and I can't figure out how to stretch it fullscreen on my widescreen monitor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
@NovaCoder: Tried your config and the 800x600 @ 60Hz is about the same as my 800x600 @ 60Hz scrolling wise, still jerky!

Have attached my config with a compromise res, 768x576 @ 50Hz which on my Samsung 226BW is smooth and not stretched full widescreen, it's actually a nice size to play games in!

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Old 23 October 2016, 11:46   #83
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I suposse you are meaning if you can install BarryB's (mod of Bymarcao's) indivision config or any other?

On AKReal using MorpheuZ you'll find an automatic installer that allows you to select and try among diferent Indi configs (SuperPlus, HighGFX 800x600 or Bimarcao's).
Old 30 October 2016, 16:39   #84
turrican9

I took the AGA MK2 out of my A1200. I have two BenQ BL 702A and one BL 912. First of all the 50Hz mode you can make with the MK2 will never be 100% perfectly smooth due to no vsync setting. Second, DVI is way too sharp for the Amiga and gaming. Even with scanlines on it will be more pixelated VS one of the above mentioned BenQ monitors connected to RGB and with low sharpness settings with no scanlines. Also, this thing with people making fullscreen profiles for gaming is not my cup of tea. First of all 640x512 will be stretched and games will look even more pixelated, secondly there are quite a few games which needs overscan area, like pinball dreams. With 640x512 these will not show the whole screen of the game. I made a custom resolution close to 720x576 which will show the games correctly and not fill the whole screen. It will fill as much as if you connected the monitor directly to RGB. Which is the correct way to show the picture in my opinion.

Also, if you make different resolutions for workbench then there will be a delay when going in and out of games. So I made the same resolution for workbench and ran it in PAL hi-res laced. This way there was almost no delay when enetering/exiting games.

Anyway, the reason I took the AGA MK2 out is because since I have these BenQ screens which works perfectly on the RGB the only thing the AGA MK2 had going for it was high res workbench modes. I dont really see any reason why I should need that as I use my A1200 for gaming/demos.

I also quit using my Indivision ECS as those have a known bug with not storing the 1:1 50Hz profile after coldboots. Same for these, the BenQ screens connected directly to the RGB is actually less pixelated VS Indi ECS with scanlines on.

Last edited by turrican9; 30 October 2016 at 17:09.
Old 27 November 2016, 02:23   #85
turrican9

I've made a proper PAL config file for AGA MK2. In this profile I've made a custom 720x576 resolution at 62Hz. 720x576 will give the correct PAL aspect ratio. I've also made it so it is 720x288 in regular PAL. This will show the games how they were made to be shown and will show them exactly how an Indivision ECS will with regards to aspect ratio and picture size. It will also make the headroom for games with overscan, like it should. Also set scanlines to 75%. For Interlaced PAL I've choosen 720x576. This way there will be no delay when going in and out of games. Just use high res laced (640x512. will be about 720x566 if you use overscan to fill the screen in workbench) in screen mode under prefs. You can fill the screen in workbench by using overscan. Will and should not be a filled screen for games. Like I have it here with a filled screen in Workbench I could not center the picture for games. It is almost centered though. Does not matter. If you don't use overscan to fill the screen in workbench you can center both.

This looks really good on a 17 inch (5:4/1280x1024) Phillips LED screen I have. If you go bigger than this games will start to look pixelated. 17 inches seems to be perfect. I've also now come to appreciate the clarity and general picture quality that you get out of the AGA MK2 with DVI. And I especially find the scanlines to be very sexy and makes the games look really good. I've started to ignore that the scrolling is not so smooth at 62Hz. In most games I don't notice it anyway.

Here is my config file

Last edited by turrican9; 27 November 2016 at 02:44.
Old 29 November 2016, 08:41   #86
trixster
Guru Meditating

Can you not achieve the 50hz in the config for your PAL resolution?

Does your Phillips LED display 50hz correctly at these lower resolutions?
Old 30 November 2016, 22:03   #87
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
Can you not achieve the 50hz in the config for your PAL resolution?

Does your Phillips LED display 50hz correctly at these lower resolutions?
This phillips screen will not support 50Hz. I have BenQ screens that will support 50Hz. But no point on the Indivision MK2 AGA because it's missing Vsync. So even if I tweak it around 50Hz it will not be perfectly smooth. Screen tear now and then will occur.

I can connect the BenQ BL 702A and BL 912 directly to the RGB for butter smooth scrolling. The Indivisiont ECS will support 50Hz and scanlines but has issues with storing settings. So it will revert back to 62Hz after a reboot. So that is not an option.

I'm considering a Mist FPGA because this one can go 50Hz and scanlines at the same time. It also has some shader settings I believe. And it will support a variety of other retro systems.
Old 30 November 2016, 22:35   #88
trixster
Guru Meditating

I would be interested to see a 50hz video of the screen tear you're seeing. With 50hz set on mine, with the monitor I'm using, I can sit and watch pinball dreams scroll vertically indefinitely with not a hint of smear, tear or stutter. Similarly I can watch Jim power to test horizontal scrolling with no stutter. Perhaps my eyes cannot discern a problem, but it is enough for me to conclude that the Indi aga 2 can deliver smooth output with the right monitor.
Old 30 November 2016, 22:47   #89
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I would be interested to see a 50hz video of the screen tear you're seeing. With 50hz set on mine, with the monitor I'm using, I can sit and watch pinball dreams scroll vertically indefinitely with not a hint of smear, tear or stutter. Similarly I can watch Jim power to test horizontal scrolling with no stutter. Perhaps my eyes cannot discern a problem, but it is enough for me to conclude that the Indi aga 2 can deliver smooth output with the right monitor.
And you did this at 720x576 as custom resolution? No other resolution is interesting to me as this is the resolution Indy ECS, BenQ BL 702A connected directly to RGB and I would also assume Mist Amiga uses it. At this resolution games with overscan and everything will show correctly in my opinion.

I will try and finetune my BenQ BL 912 and see what happens.
Old 30 November 2016, 23:50   #90
turrican9

Nope. Been playing with 720x576 custom resolution with the BenQ BL 912 connected to DVI and around the 50.128Hz mark. 50.128Hz gives a small stutter now and then. And every mark close to this frequency also gave a small stutter. Btw, 19 inch screen is bit too big for Amiga in my opinion. the 17 inch BenQ BL 702A looks better than BL 912 for gaming and demos.

So the last setting I tried was a few tads below 50.128Hz. It's not like I notice that small stutter when I play games. Games scrolls very smooth. I usually use Pinball dreams vertical and horizontal text or Yo Joe! train scrolling to see if there are any stutter. But for playing games it's smooth enough so I don't notice anything. Will mess around with it some more tomorrow. Will also try the BenQ BL 912 with DVI to VGA adapter to see how that is.

Last edited by turrican9; 01 December 2016 at 01:11.
Old 02 December 2016, 23:39   #91
turrican9

So as it turned out my 17 inch Phillips LED monitor actually synced to 50Hz and 31KHz after all. I don't know what I had done wrong when it did not work. Maybe I just tried it directly on the RGB which will input 15KHz or maybe I was below 31KHz when configuring the AGA MK2. I don't know but it works just fine. So I still play around the 50.128Hz mark. I can see a small frameskip when testing with scrolling text. But the skip is far between and I don't notice it when playing scrolling games. Thus far at least. Very happy that this screen actually could do 50Hz at 31KHz. It's a nice little screen.
Old 05 December 2016, 22:06   #92
turrican9

Yes, I notice the stutter after all in some games. So what is the exact vertical frequency for Amiga? There has to be an exact number I can stribe for?