English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Other

Old 15 July 2009, 02:08   #1
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

double click to open explorer on windows

Hi everybody,
i asked myself if an application could make the same than with dopus magellan double click on windows desktop and it open explorer ?
Or if somebody could make this one because i liked it with dopus !!!
is it possible ???
Old 15 July 2009, 08:32   #2
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

You won't believe it, but Directory Opus does that.

Settings | Preferences... | Launching Opus | From the Desktop

Well, of course that opens DOpus, not Explorer (but then that's actually a good thing ). I don't know of any small stand-alone tool that does that, although it's clearly possible.
Old 15 July 2009, 15:27   #3
Photon

If you look, there's a "My computer" icon on the desktop. Double-click that. But um, that means you have to "aim" with the mouse.

OK, sarcasm off. :P But anyway, what's so hard about pressing windows-E? Or one of the buttons above the F-keys?

btw DOpus is available for Windows, turrican3. I think you would like it
Old 15 July 2009, 15:36   #4
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
OK, sarcasm off. :P But anyway, what's so hard about pressing windows-E? Or one of the buttons above the F-keys?
It's just a convenient additional way to do things. Much like the function to go to the parent dir when double clicking blank space in a folder (QT Toolbar does that in Explorer, but I don't think it does the desktop thing). You get used to it very quickly (at least I did).

It's not that the alternatives are much less convenient, it's just that it makes good use of otherwise unused space and very often shortens mouse paths quite a bit (which is always nice).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitt's_law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
btw DOpus is available for Windows, turrican3. I think you would like it
Well duh, what did you think I was talking about?
Old 15 July 2009, 16:04   #5
Photon

I have windows on my desktop in windows. If you have only one or two small windows open at one time, I can see that you could click the desktop easily. Not that way with me, I'd have to first switch to the desktop to click on it

I could link to CTS on wikipedia, but I'll let it go. Suffice to say no mouse path is shorter than using the keyboard shortcuts instead of the mouse.

The most common programs have Ctrl+Alt shortcuts in their icons, and the slightly less used programs I've put directly in the start menu. Windows+click is good

And he might have thought you talked about DOpus on Amiga, you know. Wouldn't you say it seems he knows DOpus on Amiga and Explorer on Windows but not DOpus on Windows?
Old 15 July 2009, 16:07   #6
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

No, see, you wouldn't have to. You just could click the desktop when it's currently reachable. Additional option, see. The whole point is that there is no perfect way for every situation, so alternatives are nice.

And if I was talking about the Amiga version then I'd just be stating what he already knows (and he obviously does know that Amiga DOpus has that option). And he was asking about Windows.