English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 27 October 2009, 02:14   #1
kipper2k

Using Narmi Video adapter on the Dreamcast

Hi All,

I got this idea from a thread the other day about the video mods available for the Dreamcast so i got thinking about seeing how the Narmi Adapter would work on the Dreamcast.

I built my adapter using the same schematic as Amigamaniacs new Narmi release so this mod will also work using his boards too. I wanted the connector that i put on the dreamcast to be able to be wired for VGA and Svideo too so i wred all the necessary points on the Dreamcast motherboard and fed it to a 9 pin serial connector that i will put on the case. (its just dangling at the moment in proof of concept mode).

K, Heres some pictures, First one is the wiring points underneath the Dreamcast motherboard

The red and white wire on the right side is for an audio jack that can be installed if you are using VGA mode

The next pic shows the regular composite display

This is same screen using the Amiga Svideo adapter

As you can see the composite pic is a little fuzzy while the Svideo one is sharper, it is more obvious when you actually see the difference on the TV itself instead of a stillshot.

Here is a pic of the temporary wiring i have at the moment. (i used insulated paperclips as temp wires between the connectors

All i need to do now is to make myself a 23 pin > 9 pin adapter cable and I'm ready to go. If anyone wants more info let me know and i will post it.

Last edited by kipper2k; 27 October 2009 at 02:21.
Old 27 October 2009, 03:00   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Awesome stuff Kipps!!

now, to make it happen on a ZX Spectrum 128 +2! =)
Old 27 October 2009, 11:22   #3
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
awesome
love the paper clip bit
Old 27 October 2009, 13:32   #4
fryguy

Nice! but the VGA-adaptors is even nicer (although not all games supports them).
Old 27 October 2009, 13:53   #5
kipper2k

The way i set it up would allow using vga by a different adapter cable but i was more interested in seeing if the Narmi would work right out of the box so to speak. There is also a way to get the Svideo signal directly from the Dreamcast too so the adapter is not even required at all for Svideo.

I agree VGA would give the best quality picture, i think you can buy a VGA box for about $45, but if you have the Narmi, you now know that you can use it with your Dreamcast for the cost of a couple of connectors and a bit of your time.

And, like i said for those of you who would want a cheaper solution still, you can just use a couple of electrolytic caps and a Svideo connector directly from the DC itself.
Old 27 October 2009, 17:25   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Nice one, mate!
Old 27 October 2009, 17:54   #7
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Nice one, kLipper2k!