English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What game do you want to see ported to the Amiga?
Rolling Thunder (Arcade) 21 6.58%
Gauntlet (Arcade) 29 9.09%
Shinobi (Arcade) 49 15.36%
Pacman (Arcade) 7 2.19%
Final Fight (Arcade) 35 10.97%
Rastan (Arcade) 30 9.40%
Side Arms (Arcade) 1 0.31%
Nemesis/Gradius (Arcade) 13 4.08%
Raiden (Arcade) 10 3.13%
Raiden II (Arcade) 11 3.45%
Space Invaders (Arcade) 2 0.63%
Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) 6 1.88%
Wonder Boy (Arcade) 46 14.42%
Axelay (SNES) 9 2.82%
Double Dragon (Arcade) 13 4.08%
None - Do my own game! 37 11.60%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07 February 2020, 20:34   #441
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Are we sure this is run on maximum detail on Amiga? Found a PC footage and seems there is still some more stuff, not a lot but makes me wonder...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 07 February 2020, 20:44   #442
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Now am going to drop DA bomb: sometimes i think that when AGA did came out things started not to go that good for game development since there was a stronger machine in town and people did not need to do numbers anymore to make things work on older OCS/ECS; i would like that people here face the challenge to port games for the lesser competitor and then, if really is out of hand even with tricks and downgrade, to try to make it work on AGA, but not before to try ALL the tricks down the sleeve, and even making some new, on 8-bit metal bashing style!
Old 07 February 2020, 23:47   #443
slaapliedje

Had to point out the great Primal Rage to a co-worker, but then saw this video and thought 'wow, this would look AMAZING if it got ported to AGA....
[ Show youtube player ] Like it's pushing the limits of the Sega CD, but how sweet would it be with a larger color palette?
Old 08 February 2020, 01:50   #444
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

When the topic of flat shaded polygons came to mind I immediately thought of Lightspeed by MicroProse. [ Show youtube player ]

I never played it through because it's a DOS game but I thought an A500 could handle it in 32 colors. The DOS version had 16 and 256 color modes but we could split the difference. Has this one ever been reverse-engineered?
Old 08 February 2020, 14:04   #445
VincentGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I've always found part of the Amiga community's reaction to ports a bit odd.

I'm also a fairly active C64 user (but more of a forum lurker/collector) and I almost never see comments about ports being "useless" or "unnecessary" because of versions for other/better platforms/MAME existing. On the contrary, people are usually very positive about such ports and enjoy seeing the C64 getting pushed to do games above it's specs.
I agree, I love these ports.
Dunno if I was clear cause English is not my strong point
Old 08 February 2020, 14:38   #446
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentGR View Post
I agree, I love these ports.
Dunno if I was clear cause English is not my strong point
You were clear

I was just adding my 2 cents as to why I don't understand that whole discussion keeps occurring on Amiga sites
Old 08 February 2020, 17:26   #447
dreadnought

Quote:
I was just adding my 2 cents as to why I don't understand that whole discussion keeps occurring on Amiga sites
Is it really a widespread, cyclical thing? I mean, I'm new - I don't know.

On the other hand, why is it so surprising that some people might just not be that much interested in ports, while also appreciating the effort, skill and possible benefits of them? (Speaking strictly about my "contribution" to this thread, which was kind of accidental anyway.)
Old 08 February 2020, 17:28   #448
Pyromania

I love when all these ports are being made too!
Old 08 February 2020, 18:11   #449
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Is it really a widespread, cyclical thing? I mean, I'm new - I don't know.

On the other hand, why is it so surprising that some people might just not be that much interested in ports, while also appreciating the effort, skill and possible benefits of them? (Speaking strictly about my "contribution" to this thread, which was kind of accidental anyway.)
It's certainly possible I'm merely noticing certain subjects more than others. That said, I've basically never seen people respond in that way* for games on say the C64 or the Mega Drive. For Amiga games, however, it seems to me there's pretty much always one or two people pointing out that ports are a "waste of time".

My post wasn't about opinions (I do understand where people are coming from), it was more about not seeing this type of reaction elsewhere and wondering why. I may simply be seeing things that aren't there, but there does on occasion seem to be a somewhat more "negative vibe" regarding Amiga game development than I've personally seen on other platforms. This type of reaction around ports is one part of that for me. Perhaps the Amiga community is simply a bit more critical?

It's nothing major, but it does puzzle me a bit. I'm pretty stoked with all the new Amiga development

*) As in: "why bother? we have MAME/PCs already"
Old 08 February 2020, 23:17   #450
van_dammesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Had to point out the great Primal Rage to a co-worker, but then saw this video and thought 'wow, this would look AMAZING if it got ported to AGA....
[ Show youtube player ] Like it's pushing the limits of the Sega CD, but how sweet would it be with a larger color palette?
Your avatar has made me think an 8-bit but suped up version of Bruce Lee would be a good game!
Old 09 February 2020, 13:57   #451
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_dammesque View Post
Your avatar has made me think an 8-bit but suped up version of Bruce Lee would be a good game!
There is already sort of: Tiger Claw
Old 09 February 2020, 14:09   #452
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
There is already sort of: Tiger Claw
hmm.
Nice... never knew about that clone... thanks.

Looking on youtube now, it seems that is still lacking amazing gameplay from C64, but it's hard to be sure, just from clips, so I might be wrong.
Bruce Lee on C64 was really amazing.
Old 09 February 2020, 14:20   #453
DamienD
Banned

There is also this Love Dungeon

Last edited by DamienD; 09 February 2020 at 14:27.
Old 09 February 2020, 14:22   #454
sandruzzo

@DamienD

Amiga game?
Old 09 February 2020, 14:26   #455
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
@DamienD

Amiga game?
Yes, both Tiger Claw and Love Dungeon are Amiga games.
Old 09 February 2020, 19:43   #456
dreadnought

Quote:
For Amiga games, however, it seems to me there's pretty much always one or two people pointing out that ports are a "waste of time".
I guess such harping on can be annoying and not very constructive.

Admittedly I did catch myself thinking sometime that I'd much rather see a new original game than yet another port. But that's something I keep to myself, for aforementioned reasons. Lots of people like these ports and coders are free to do whatever they want with their time.

Also, mcgeezer's point about ports being a coding practice and experience building exercise, which benefits other projects later on is pretty good. Never thought about it this way.

There's also the thing that since now I have a real Amiga I look at them a bit differently. I want to run whatever new stuff I can on this veberable old machine, seems to make the old girl happy - even demos, which I've never really cared for that much either before. So, bring them on

@DamienD Love Dungeon looks very cute and funny, especially seing that I loved the original on the ZX, it was one of the first games I've ever finished. Will try it out in a minute

The fact they even made a PLI4 version for somebody's 4 y.o. daughter is also very sweet.
Old 03 April 2020, 00:48   #457
Frog

Looks like I didn’t see that thread. Wardner could also have been a good game to adapt on Amiga and the original arcade game doesn’t seem too greedy.
I’m not sure what’s most interesting for Mcgeezer to develop. Maybe something other than a platformer/arcade game.
I wanted to vote for a shoot'em up in order to propose something different as much in terms of the style of the game as can be the programming but... after reviewing a longplay arcade of Wonderboy and despite its difficulty, I couldn’t resist it
Old 25 September 2020, 19:51   #458
heavy
noodle

MGT
there is already an Atari ST version, so... someone ?
Old 17 May 2021, 03:59   #459
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I would very much appreciate a decent port of Street Fighter I, but also of Teenage Mutant Ninja / Hero Turtles, or of R-Type II
in no specific order...
Old 17 May 2021, 15:44   #460
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
For Street Fighter I, should not be that complicated, we have the assets handy
Musics and sound should not be hard to extract as well. The main thing is the coding, as usual.....