English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 22 June 2013, 18:35   #1
fondpondforever

Stick out tongue Commodore amiga cd32 with floppy disc drive

Alright everyone, this is my first post on the English Amiga board. My name is ted and I am from cornwall, England. I decided to invest in buying a refurbished amiga cd32 console and an an external floppy disc drive to attach on to the console from analogic computers. It cost me £110. I've got a boomerang cd32 controller from amigakit (anyone know what there like?) and some amazing games like James pond 2, zool and Puggsy which are on floppy disc. Do you know if they will play on my cd32 with the external drive installed. Does the amiga 3.1 operating system come up when you put a floppy into the cd32 drive? I'm so excited about playing some retro gaming at it's finest from 85 to 95 on the genius dream machine code named spellbound! Thank you for your time.

Last edited by fondpondforever; 22 June 2013 at 18:44.
Old 23 June 2013, 00:33   #2
Zak
Zap´em

Hello fondpondforever! I have a CD32 myself, but never had a disk drive for it. I will be waiting for you to report your experiences with it! I even have no clue how the drive is attached. But I think for Workbench to pop up, you will need a disk with Workbench installed to it.
Old 23 June 2013, 01:12   #3
amigapd

I have the exact same floppy drive from analogic computers and have played many amiga disk games. You can also use relokick disk to make the system boot to any earlier kick start which will help with some older games. What you do need is a keyboard though to play non cd32 games - even if it is jut to press p to pause them.

I think you can get James Pond 2 on the cd32 - not sure if there was extra music or levels for that version.

Don't know if you like pd games but I created a compilation disk for the cd32

http://www.amigapd.com/cd32-compilation-download.html
Old 23 June 2013, 12:36   #4
Zak
Zap´em

@amigapd: how about the killanim procedure that is required for CD? Do you just insert a disk and that´s it like on A500?
Old 23 June 2013, 14:00   #5
fondpondforever

I've got an amiga one keyboard from amiga kit. Will that work? Thanks
Old 23 June 2013, 14:09   #6
amigapd

I can't remember the killanim procedure

I remember using tude from amint as part of the start sequence for some games on the cd i created.

http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/TUDE

Basically with the disk drive the cd32 is similar to the Amiga 1200 - the way it works is that it checks the 3.5 disk drive first - if there is a disk in there it boots - otherwise it checks the cd drive and then boots to the cd32 boot screen.

If you have got a mouse with your cd32 you can do the same thing as on the Amiga 1200 where holding down both mouse buttons gives you a different boot screen where you can select chip set and change display to NTSC.

re: fondpondforver Recommend Fire and Ice CD32 version if you like platform game - music is better than disk version.
Old 23 June 2013, 14:44   #7
fondpondforever

Keyboard

Ok thanks. So do you know if an amigaone keyboard will work on a cd32. Do I need to get an adapter lead?
Old 23 June 2013, 16:25   #8
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Ok thanks. So do you know if an amigaone keyboard will work on a cd32. Do I need to get an adapter lead?
the amigaone keyboard is a pc keyboard with amiga logs
to use it on a cd32 or amiga4000 etc you need the lyra 2 adapter
but remember you must have an expansion in ur cd32 which allow to connect amiga keyboards
Old 23 June 2013, 17:48   #9
fondpondforever

Expansion

Wow that's cool, what expansion do I need?
Old 23 June 2013, 18:50   #10
amigapd

You dont need an expansion for some amiga keyboards as the cd32 has a keyboard socket at the left. Search ebay for amiga 4000 or cd32 keyboards and you can plug them straight in. If you want to use a pc keyboard then you need a ps/2 keyboard adapter which are sold on eBay.
Old 23 June 2013, 21:40   #11
fondpondforever

Post Amigaone

That sounds excellent, so all I need to fire away is the Lyra 2 adapter for an amigaone keyboard. How about an amigaone mouse, do I need another adapter for that? Thanks.
Old 23 June 2013, 23:38   #12
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
I can't remember the killanim procedure
When you start CD32 there is this little animation. This needs to be stopped in order to start a program from CD. Usually there is a program called "killanim" or something alike and it´s mostly the first entry in startup-sequence. But from what you say, I can estimate that the floppy drive is checked before the animation starts, so that it´s not necessary to install it to floppy disk.

Edit: I have been looking into some of my CD´s, seems as if this can be performed by a setpatch command or something similar, too. Well the essence is, you need to stop the animation and my question was if that´s necessary for floppy programs, too.

Last edited by Zak; 23 June 2013 at 23:48.
Old 24 June 2013, 05:06   #13
Cymru

I believe the AmigaOne mouse is a PS/2 and would need an adapter. Vesalia, Elbox, AmigaKit, and an Amiga guy, "Mounty" sell them. Mounty's products are on Ebid and EBay. I have several of each and they all work well.
Old 24 June 2013, 12:51   #14
fondpondforever

awesome.