English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 August 2006, 15:44   #1
gizmomelb

A3000 and Guru meditation

Hi all,

I've just recently powered on my A3000 and I decided to finally stick in the extra 4MB of ZIP FAST RAM which I'd had sitting in my SCSI controller (Oktagon).

I'm using a stock standard A3000 with 2.04 in ROM, which previously had 4MB of ZIP FAST RAM and the on-board SCSI. When I boot from the on-board HDD I get a Software Error 8000 0003 Task: 0780DA88

However if I boot WB from floppy disk I can see/access the HDD and all software on it and don't have any Gurus.

If it's bad ZIP memory - well it was a bugger to remove them from the SCSI controller and then insert the ZIP chips on the A3000 motherboard, so I'm leaving pulling the ZIP chips out until the weekend.

I didn't change any jumpers on the A3000 motherboard - is there one I've possibly missed?

Any suggestions most appreciated.
Old 11 August 2006, 18:02   #2
icbrkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Hi all,

I've just recently powered on my A3000 and I decided to finally stick in the extra 4MB of ZIP FAST RAM which I'd had sitting in my SCSI controller (Oktagon).

I'm using a stock standard A3000 with 2.04 in ROM, which previously had 4MB of ZIP FAST RAM and the on-board SCSI. When I boot from the on-board HDD I get a Software Error 8000 0003 Task: 0780DA88

However if I boot WB from floppy disk I can see/access the HDD and all software on it and don't have any Gurus.

If it's bad ZIP memory - well it was a bugger to remove them from the SCSI controller and then insert the ZIP chips on the A3000 motherboard, so I'm leaving pulling the ZIP chips out until the weekend.

I didn't change any jumpers on the A3000 motherboard - is there one I've possibly missed?

Any suggestions most appreciated.
There isn't any jumpers to really set when adding in ZIPs. I added 3 banks of ZIPS to my 3000 which was a nightmare. You either have a bad (or incompatible) ZIP, or one of the legs isn't seated properly. What I ended up doing was replacing the ZIPs in a known good bank, one by one, until I found the one with the issue.

Old 25 August 2006, 23:41   #3
r.cade

Hello,

Back from my repair days, I seem to remember you can't mix fast page mode and static column zips. I think when you add RAM and have both kinds one or the other has be in the first positions.

I think the problem you describe happens when you mix them incorrectly. Swap the banks and see if it comes clear.