English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: How do you feel about some of the recent pricing for Amiga games?
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 2 40.00%
PHYSICAL - €34.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 1 20.00%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - YES, this price is justified and I'm ok with it. 0 0%
DIGITAL - €29.95 - NO, I believe this price is too much. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 January 2020, 16:45   #201
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

But, that's me. And like I wrote before, we have a free market, and everybody can price their games however they want. If it works for them, who am I to throw stones.
And this is where I stand.

I often wonder how much I would have sold Bomb Jack Beer Edition or Rygar for (if I fixed the bugs ofcourse )
Old 21 January 2020, 16:49   #202
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I often wonder how much I would have sold Bomb Jack Beer Edition or Rygar for (if I fixed the bugs ofcourse )
You can still answer that Graeme; even if it's not reality... what in your mind for your two amazing quality games, would have been a fair price for both the physical and digital in your opinion?
Old 21 January 2020, 16:50   #203
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
And this is where I stand.

What do you think is a fair and reasonable price in your head?
Old 21 January 2020, 17:04   #204
mcgeezer

OK, well given you've asked...

Bomb Jack took 6 months to make and Rygar took 12 months to make.

For digital download I would have went with about £6.99 for Bomb Jack and probably £9.99 for Rygar.

For boxed editions including bells, whistles and delivery/distribution I would have probably went for £24.99 on Bomb Jack and £29.99 for Rygar.

Just my thoughts.
Graeme
Old 21 January 2020, 17:13   #205
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

29 Euro is what I would go for with Inviyya as well for the boxed edition.
Old 21 January 2020, 17:20   #206
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

You can still do a BYOB (build your own box) package, like Barbarian+ did, included in the digital download to add interest; will include PDF of box and manual and then if someone has the patience and a color laser printer can do its own box
Old 21 January 2020, 17:22   #207
mcgeezer

Like I said I'd be happy with making about £1,000 a year which would let me get to a few Amiga events, meet people, get into adventures, walk the Earth, pay my beer.
Old 21 January 2020, 17:24   #208
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
You can still do a BYOB (build your own box) package, like Barbarian+ did, included in the digital download to add interest; will include PDF of box and manual and then if someone has the patience and a color laser printer can do its own box
One thing I will say is that when I do future releases, there'll be no compromise on the box size. People definitely love their boxes, when I was at Amiga 34 people were nearly crying they couldn't actually buy the box.

Nice boxes in the retro community definitely sell.
Old 21 January 2020, 17:35   #209
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
One thing I will say is that when I do future releases, there'll be no compromise on the box size. People definitely love their boxes, when I was at Amiga 34 people were nearly crying they couldn't actually buy the box.

Would you do the same expensive cardboard box quality?
Old 21 January 2020, 17:37   #210
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Would you do the same expensive cardboard box quality?
Definitely. It's what people seem to love most about it.
Old 21 January 2020, 17:37   #211
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
OK, well given you've asked...

Bomb Jack took 6 months to make and Rygar took 12 months to make.

For digital download I would have went with about £6.99 for Bomb Jack and probably £9.99 for Rygar.

For boxed editions including bells, whistles and delivery/distribution I would have probably went for £24.99 on Bomb Jack and £29.99 for Rygar.

Just my thoughts.

Graeme
Extremely reasonable and fair pricing in my opinion
Old 21 January 2020, 17:53   #212
AMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
What do you think is a fair and reasonable price in your head?
No one of you is the position to judge which price is fair or not. You have no idea about effort and costs. This is an insolence that you are not entitled to, and you should show more respect. The whole thread ist a slap in the face of the developers. We are in a free market where every one can choose what he wants to buy or not. I would not work for that money.

And last but not least, If you think the Amiga developers are gettin rich please go ahead and follow their route. It's only a matter of choice.

Last edited by AMike; 21 January 2020 at 18:05.
Old 21 January 2020, 17:57   #213
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's not about "for what i would work". It's about weighing the best market prices in a mercantile sense. And sometimes software developers doesn't have have any feel for this kind of stuff at it seems. This thread demonstrates this very clear. If you can't see that 29,99-35 Euro for a digital Download hurts your own sales on an obsolete gaming platform, well then you are doing something wrong. Or you are just ignorant.
Old 21 January 2020, 18:01   #214
AMike

I think they are smart enough to ask for a businessplan If they need. But they need for sure no advise from people wthout any clue what it means to bring a game to the final stage.
Old 21 January 2020, 18:19   #215
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

And you do know it first hand?

Quality it surely one aspect if you try to charge a higher price.

My best example would be "Sam's Journey" for the C64. This game destroys quality-wise every platformer ever made on the C64. Knights of Bytes/Protovision charges 19,99 Euro for the dowload. I think this is the very limit you can ask for a plain game download on a retro platform. It's deserved because the technical quality, gameplay and massive game length is outstanding. And from what i've read they sold more than 1000 copies over digital download. So, they actually knew how much money they could ask for without hurting their own sales.

Looking at some of the games discussed here, which charges 30-35 Euro for much less quality....
Old 21 January 2020, 18:54   #216
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:

I am a darn PITA for boxes, did envy deeply japanese megadrive cartridge cases and their color manuals, but understand are pretty expensive to make...
Old 21 January 2020, 19:47   #217
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:

Yes they do
Old 21 January 2020, 20:31   #218
BippyM
Global Moderator

Where do i even start!

Insolence? I respect all authors for what they do, and as for overpricing.. Damn fucking straight charging €30 is insolent! It's extremely rude to assume that is a fair price. There have been developer's on here post abiut the pricing, and they would say £10-£15 is about right for a digital download. I really don't care how much he sells it for. I do care about people being ripped off though!

The issue raised about the price of the digital game is both fair and relevant. As a consumer i can and will complain about the price of anything for sale, whether it's a bar of chocolate, a digital game or a car.. It is my opinion, and i, along with others can air that opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMike View Post
No one of you is the position to judge which price is fair or not. You have no idea about effort and costs. This is an insolence that you are not entitled to, and you should show more respect. The whole thread ist a slap in the face of the developers. We are in a free market where every one can choose what he wants to buy or not. I would not work for that money.

And last but not least, If you think the Amiga developers are gettin rich please go ahead and follow their route. It's only a matter of choice.

Last edited by BippyM; 21 January 2020 at 21:33.
Old 21 January 2020, 21:12   #219
Dunny

We've been rumbled by a1k and the Amiga FB groups! You should all just STOP your damned insolence. Now!

Old 21 January 2020, 21:22   #220
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzybee View Post
We got a nice name for such a calculation in Germany - it´s called Milchmädchenrechnung, because that´s how little girls do the math. If you had read my former short calculation, you should be aware that the developer gets only a fraction of gross sales. And this fraction narrows down considerably with low prices, because unavoidable costs for production, sales and distribution are higher per piece. So selling 30 pcs of 15 EUR/£/whatever does not at all provide a better profit to the developer. Also, I seriously doubt your assumption that a low price tag leads to considerably higher sales. You got any proof for that?

Asking homebrew developers to risk their financial health and betray the tax office, just so that you and a handful of people save a few bucks on the digital sale of an Amiga-game – sorry, that´s just laughable.
A digital release has no actual production costs though does it? Except the actual production... The boxed version, yes definitely..

As for the taxman, i don't know about the tax laws in your home country, but i do know aboit the uk, and.... Nobody has said anything about not paying taxes, not a single person.. It's just something else for you to justify your digital price. It's your product, sell it for whatever you like.. I wish you all the luck in the world

I think im done with this thread now, myself anf DamienD have purposely not moderated this thread (except a single nsme change by myself). It will be moderated by thr other GMs if necessary

God speed!