Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 19 September 2012, 14:41   #41
spud

Superb ! iff-ilbm working fine for me
Old 19 September 2012, 14:52   #42
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrizoud View Post
It should be fixed in the latest Windows build. I hope I didn't break something else in the file selector...
http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/down...1999-win32.zip
Wow, it works!!! Amazing!!!
Thanks a lot!!
Old 19 September 2012, 18:33   #43
yrizoud

By the way, in the first fixed version I posted, I had also changed a few details in how Grafx2 saves all IFF files.
The "pageWidth" and "pageHeight" (Which caused DP to ask if you want to change resolution) are now set to the image dimensions, but I'm not convinced it's better. If you open a 16x16 sprite in DP, will it propose to enter a 16x16 graphic mode ?

Masking with Transparent color number (masking mode 2) is supported. If you save a sprite in grafx2 that is drawn over color #12 for example, and you've set
- transparent color = 12
- background transparent : yes
I think that if you open it as a brush in DP, it should set the right pixels as transparent. No promise, but at least the IFF has all the info for DP to make the right decision.

The aspect ratio is saved: If you're in tall pixel or wide pixel graphic modes, grafx2 will save a ratio of 2:1 or 1:2. Not sure if any Amiga program uses this piece of info from the IFF file, but at least it's there. Grafx2 will recognize it when you re-open the file, and switch to tall or wide pixels accordingly.
Old 19 September 2012, 20:05   #44
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Any good solutions for Linux? Gimp used to be able to handle IFF out of the package, but it doesn't seem to anymore :/

I have a graphics converter on my Amiga at least.
Old 19 September 2012, 20:36   #45
yrizoud

If you can't compile Grafx2, there's XnView's command-line utility "nconvert".
I just checked, its development continues as part of project "XnConvert MP".
Hopefully there's the right binary for your system here:
http://www.xnconvert.com/downloads
Latest version is just two weeks old !
Old 19 September 2012, 22:19   #46
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Hey Grafx2 is on my package manager, it turns out. That's convenient! Thanks.
Old 19 September 2012, 22:30   #47
yrizoud

Maybe, but then it will "only" install grafx2 2.3 which is one year old :-/
Old 19 September 2012, 23:17   #48
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

when you just made a picture in Deluxe Paint III, one year old doesn't seem like very long.
Old 20 September 2012, 00:19   #49
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
when you just made a picture in Deluxe Paint III, one year old doesn't seem like very long.
Yeah, but if you read above, you will realize grafx2's support for Amiga ILBM files has only just been recently added! And you'll need that.
Old 20 September 2012, 13:51   #50
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

I loaded an Amiga picture in just fine.
Old 20 September 2012, 14:01   #51
Amiga1992

YEah it loads them just fine but it saves them in the wrong format, check out the discussion in the previous page, the programmer said that grafx2 existed for many years and no one had reported this before until now. Amiga IFFs were loaded and saved as part of what was recognized as PBM, an IFF derivative.
Old 20 September 2012, 14:02   #52
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

That's ok I want to save as PNG.
Old 20 September 2012, 16:56   #53
jvdw007

Thanks yrizoud. I tested the latest iff lbm fix and it worked perfectly for me too.
Old 25 September 2012, 00:49   #54
spud

Yrizoud, out of interest, I notice this behaviour:

if I create 32 colour iff-ilbm image, specifying the colours in the palette that I want, but don't actually use any of the second 16 colour palette in the image, it saves the image as a 16 colour image, and strips off that upper part of the palette.

If I use at least one of those colours speciefied there in the image, it then saves the image as a 32 colour image.

Is this intended? Any chance it can prompt to ask if you want to save it as a full 32 colour image rather than truncating off that second 16 colour pallette automatically?

Not an essential feature really, but it can be frustrating sometimes to find your palette missing half the colours because you forgot to use one.

Cheers
Spud
Old 25 September 2012, 02:20   #55
Amiga1992

I guess the soft would be better off checking the amount of unique colours in the palette rather than the amount of unique colours in the image. That should sort it.
Old 25 September 2012, 16:36   #56
yrizoud

Sorry, this behavior was intended as a tradeoff, because we are finishing version 2.4 and I didn't want to make so big changes.
Pulkomandy, the project leader, had the same critic:
http://code.google.com/p/grafx2/issues/detail?id=505#c4
After 2.4 is finalized we can start handling seriously color counts <256, which means implementing it in all file formats : BMP, PNG, GIF, those for Atari, Amstrad, C64...

I felt that an additional prompt would be very annoying every time you saved. (in addition to "file exists, overwrite", and the prompt you get when you save an image with layers/animation)

Akira: I didn't want to trust the palette because it can include more colors than the original file :
- if your setting "clear palette" is "no", colors >16 or 32 are not blackened on loading, they'll keep for example the shades from the default 256-col palette.
- in any case, grafx2 stores GUI colors in unused color slots starting from the end.
Old 25 September 2012, 16:43   #57
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrizoud View Post
Akira: I didn't want to trust the palette because it can include more colors than the original file
It can, but if the user is using it with knowledge, it shouldn't.
If I start up a 32 color mode in Deluxe Paint, I only have the first 32 colors on my palette available, I can only have "extras" that I don't use on the range exceeding 32 in the main palette editor. Also, Deluxe Paint's GUI colors come from whatever the palette you are using has, so sometimes the GUI becomes a problem, but you learn to work around it.

I think the method should be just limiting the palette to a number of colours. As you have a "pixel proportion" checkbox on the screen format/canvas screen, you should also have a "number of colours" selection with 2,4,8,16,32,HB,64,128 and 256 colours. This is how it works in Deluxe Paint, before you even start the software, you have to choose what you want. And iof you want to have extra colours, just limit it to "the first X number of colours will be used when saving" and the rest of the palette will not be saved.
Old 06 October 2012, 15:16   #58
jvdw007

yrizoud, I see Grafx2 v2.4 official is out! I installed it, thanks

One thing I noticed is that the Android version is grossly outdated: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.grafx2&hl=en

Why is it not on the official homepage? Was it just an experiment? I would love to be able to draw using Grafx2 on my tablet.
Old 06 October 2012, 16:11   #59
yrizoud

The compilation on Android was made independently by Pelya. He made it in the context of testing his Android port of SDL. Like most of what he releases, he provides builds, but that's it.
In my opinion, Grafx2 relies too much on two-button mouse input and keyboard shortcuts to be really usable on a slate.
Old 07 October 2012, 12:08   #60
jvdw007

Thanks for your reply! That is a real pity. Maybe with MS Surface it might be an option then