English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 22 September 2010, 16:57   #1
MethodGit

Question Why did this disappear from the latest TOSEC?

Code:
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 1 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 2 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 3 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 4 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 5 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 6 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Was there a problem with it?
Old 22 September 2010, 18:03   #2
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Code:
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 1 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 2 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 3 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 4 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 5 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Pinball Dreams & Pinball Fantasies (19xx)(TML)(Disk 6 of 6)[Quarterback 5.0 archive].adf
Was there a problem with it?
Good observed.
I have moved to Games/Compilation, maybe it was a mistake.
The question is, if it is really is a crack/release of the HOL entry:
http://hol.abime.net/4299
I have thought it is rather a compilation created by any scener.
Any proof , what it really is?
Old 22 September 2010, 20:29   #3
MethodGit

IIRC, I think it's a unique-to-the-scene release with the tables from both games in a different format, accompanied by a unique loader. It's probably the same thing as this.
Old 22 September 2010, 20:49   #4
BippyM
Global Moderator

Personally I don't think any 'Amiga' packed games should be in the main dat. They should be in a compressed dat or something!
Old 22 September 2010, 21:00   #5
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
Personally I don't think any 'Amiga' packed games should be in the main dat. They should be in a compressed dat or something!
...maybe, but its nearly impossible to force such major changes in TOSEC.
Old 22 September 2010, 21:20   #6
MethodGit

I should point out that it's not in the current Compilation DATs, either.

Still, a fair amount of sites still host the old TOSEC set, so getting it isn't a problem.
Old 23 September 2010, 01:05   #7
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Why is it even required. whats the point to archiving Quarterbacked versions ?. Someone just upped any old disk image and its archived ?

Should I didgout an old vhs backup of installed games for the archive ! Its probably a good idea that silly disk backups like this arnt in main tosec.
Old 23 September 2010, 01:52   #8
PandMonium

I don't know much about Amiga but here go my 2 cents :P
I'm not even sure what the quarterback thing means but i suppose they are sepparated in a different datfile, if not at least they have that more info flag to inform about it.

You have to take in consideration the goal of the project. TOSEC is all about identifying "everything" around, i'm the first to point out that this may lead to the inclusion of a lot of garbage and spread stupid files. IMHO renamers should use their good sense to know if they are including some valid set (even if it is hacked or has some errors), which is commonly found around, or some piece of garbage that was just generated by someone that just launched the set in an emulator that altered the image or some other reason and is not spread around.

Anyway most of those were already inserted before and are now well spread, other unrenamed garbage sets may also be in some "unrenamed dats".

Back to the point, TOSEC aim is to provide an identification database, which users can use to search or rename any unknown set, finding exactly what it is. The problem is obviously that people tend to collect all sets we identify, not understanding our goal and then complaining we collect unneeded stuff.
Unfortunately part of the problem is our fault, we should really provide dats / a way to filter dats, where only the interesting / any other rules sets were present but unfortunately this is something that we don't provide (YET). :P
With this, people could have dats excluding those sets but also bad dumps or virus and so on.

Like i said, is something that we don't provide but it is indeed something that i would like to offer in the future, it all depends on my free time (which is minimum as usual :P)
Old 23 September 2010, 10:53   #9
MethodGit

The Games DAT still has some Quarterbacked games though, so I doubt a seperate DAT's been made for them.