English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 25 November 2020, 00:46   #1
palaste

Running AmigaOS 3.1.4 shell on vamos

As I recently mentioned, I went out and bought AmigaOS 3.1.4 from Hyperion Entertainment (https://www.hyperion-entertainment.com/index.php). It was the first commercial software I have bought in several years.

Now when I unpacked the Modules disk ADF file (it was pretty easy to do, as Linux treats ADF files as disk images of type affs) and copied L/Shell-Seg to my native Linux file system and ran "vamos -x Shell-Seg", I got dropped to an emulated Amiga shell displaying a 0.SYS> prompt. As I had wanted all along, this was running in an emulated Amiga, but was actually output in a Linux terminal.

Typing "dir", "list", or "cd" worked perfectly. Typing "echo hello" crashed vamos. Typing "avail" also worked perfectly, whereas typing "%" (% is my own program, it works like avail but also prints out the available memory as a percentage of the total memory) worked, but when the program exited, the shell just stuck there. I had to press Ctrl-C to kill the entire vamos process.

So I have two questions:
  1. Why is echo not working when most of the other shell commands are?
  2. Why did the shell just stick there after finishing %? The program has an ISO standard C main() function, which lacks an explicit return, but the ISO standard says that in main(), a missing return is taken as return 0.
Also, typing "vamos %" to run % directly instead of using a shell works, with vamos returning immediately after running % instead of just hanging.
Old 25 November 2020, 07:29   #2
Thomas Richter

Probably because you are using the wrong branch of vamos? Mine works. As for your program, I cannot tell.
Old 26 November 2020, 00:38   #3
palaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Probably because you are using the wrong branch of vamos? Mine works. As for your program, I cannot tell.
I know you have your own branch of vamos. I just can't get it to work, because your branch uses Python 2.7 when the latest release is Python 3.8. I'm currently trying to get your version to work. At least using Hyperion Entertainment's new Shell-Seg got me somewhere, the previous ones I had crashed as soon as I started vamos.
Old 26 November 2020, 08:35   #4
Locutus

Where is Thomas' branch of vamos? The amitools repo just has master and (ancient) dev branches.

It's not linked as a fork on the main amitools github and i cant find it elsewhere.

Also, Python 2.7 in 2020 is....absurd.
Old 26 November 2020, 10:09   #5
Wepl

Thomas's fork is here https://github.com/thorfdbg/amitools
Would be nice to have his changes in master.
They have diverged a lot: This branch is 42 commits ahead, 602 commits behind cnvogelg:master.
Old 26 November 2020, 10:37   #6
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
Also, Python 2.7 in 2020 is....absurd.

Incompatible language changes are absurd, but let it be as it is: This is open source, I would be happy if you would port this to Pyhton 3. It shouldn't be hard and there should not be much that need to be changed.
Old 26 November 2020, 11:19   #7
jotd
This cat is no more

I could do this port. It's not as easy as putting parentheses around print statements but I've ported a s*load of 2.5 code to 3.8 without issues.

Quote:
Incompatible language changes are absurd
no, python 2 was sticking too much to C style and had issues that needed removed (range as lists, unicode vs str, division behaviour to name a few). Python 3 design is way better, and that broke compatibility partially, but it was a wise move.