English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 09 September 2005, 01:45   #1
oldpx

"Cracked by" and "First release" entries

Wouldn't it be nice to have these on HOL? I can imagine many ex-sceners posting here debating who first released what but that'd be great too!

example:

First Released by: Fairlight
Cracked by: Skid Row (Single Disked); Paranomia (t+23)

Old 09 September 2005, 05:31   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

It would be impossible to prove who cracked them first, and the usefulness of such info is dubious at best. Plus what use is being the first to crack a game if the game turned out to be faulty? If 10 groups cracked Superfrog, are you proposing we research every single version to credit all the groups? There are much more useful things to be doing than this...

I am keen to remove the warez compilation section as it is since it serves no useful purpose - TOSEC and planetemu provide a search for compilations.
Old 09 September 2005, 06:57   #3
Galaxy

I agree with Codetapper. I think we should keep the warez/pirate stuff out of HOL where possible - and as he says, there are far more useful things we can be spending our time on
Old 09 September 2005, 09:51   #4
fiath

(phew!)
Old 09 September 2005, 15:24   #5
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Plus what use is being the first to crack a game if the game turned out to be faulty?
The goal of HOL is information, this is information plus this is the only way to log whose release is faulty!

Quote:
If 10 groups cracked Superfrog, are you proposing we research every single version to credit all the groups?
Tosec has already done most of the work. It's like integrating that information into HOL

Quote:
I agree with Codetapper. I think we should keep the warez/pirate stuff out of HOL where possible -
That warez/pirate stuff is INFORMATION about the history of amiga. I didn't know HOL was that |334 to be ashamed of the scene. But if you guys admit that you're ubable to provide accurate information, I take it as a valid reason to give up the idea.

Quote:
and as he says, there are far more useful things we can be spending our time on
Like? What defines "far more useful". Anything about HOL can be as useful as a database about a dead computer system's gaming software can be. This idea is as useful.

Old 10 September 2005, 00:53   #6
Galaxy

We only have a limited amount of time and frankly I think there are far more useful things we can be spending our time on.

If you want some examples of "far more useful things" here are some ideas:

- adding many more in-game screenshots - currently lots of games only have a dbs.
- scanning game adverts
- manuals
- addition of magazine review information to hol records
- extend hol to include apps

This is not a list of things we are working on, but just a few examples of information that I think the general amiga community would find more useful.
Old 10 September 2005, 20:02   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Personally speaking, I agree with the HOL members on this one. Would take far too long, doesn't really serve a purpose other than to duplicate the work of others (TOSEC), and frankly, I don't want to see the likes of Prodigy and Hoodlum 'celebrated', they were about as much a benefit to the cracking scene as a water feature on the moon.
Old 10 September 2005, 20:30   #8
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
Personally speaking, I agree with the HOL members on this one. Would take far too long, doesn't really serve a purpose other than to duplicate the work of others (TOSEC), and frankly, I don't want to see the likes of Prodigy and Hoodlum 'celebrated', they were about as much a benefit to the cracking scene as a water feature on the moon.
A water feature on the moon would be quire useful to a thirsty astronaut who has had celuular regenration and dna changes to allow them to survive without a space suit
Old 10 September 2005, 23:48   #9
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT
...and frankly, I don't want to see the likes of Prodigy and Hoodlum 'celebrated', they were about as much a benefit to the cracking scene as a water feature on the moon.
Maybe they have something to say as well; that's the kind of discussion I'd love to see here! I understand people might not want to bother but it'll be a lot of fun to see the sceners discussing.

Old 11 September 2005, 00:59   #10
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

pdxscroll: There is nothing stopping you creating your own website with all this information. Just don't expect it to ever appear in HOL...
Old 11 September 2005, 03:21   #11
oldpx

I had given up hope after the first responses but I decided to explain why I thought it was cool anyway. I'm not trying to impose anything here.

Old 13 September 2005, 23:00   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
I agree with Codetapper. I think we should keep the warez/pirate stuff out of HOL where possible - and as he says, there are far more useful things we can be spending our time on
Here's the third guy wanting that bull* out.
Trash it!
Old 14 September 2005, 01:14   #13
oldpx

It has been a few days since the discussion is closed actually.

Old 14 September 2005, 01:30   #14
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Hrm .. shame .. I'm actually FOR there being some info as to which group cracks/trainers exist per game.

But then i suppose HOL would have to incorperate TOSEC ... A not so little project.
Old 14 September 2005, 03:00   #15
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Actually, since there are TOSEC dat files available that incorporate that sort of info in the filenames, my own opinion is that this ought to be an adequate source of that information. Adding the same info to HOL could simply add to the confusion to the extent that HOL and TOSEC might disagree. Besides, that sounds like the sort of an idea that the Department of Redundancy Department might suggest.
Old 14 September 2005, 03:04   #16
Ray Norrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Here's the third guy wanting that bull* out.
Trash it!
I`d agree somewhat, as quite a few cracks were crap, and left a broken game after. It would be hard to distinguish a "valid" crack from the rest, and I fail to see the point
Old 14 September 2005, 03:07   #17
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Besides, that sounds like the sort of an idea that the Department of Redundancy Department might suggest.
I'm not having any fun here. I guess it was a bad idea to suggest anything at all! I'll never do that again, you're too elite for me.

Old 14 September 2005, 15:14   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Its not about being 'elite', its simply that this is covered elsewhere already.
Old 14 September 2005, 16:23   #19
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
It has been a few days since the discussion is closed actually.
No it is not.
Still there are these compacts listed in HOL which a great part of the team wants to have kicked out (me too; the "Trash it" was supposed to refer to compacts listed in HOL, could've been misunderstood perhaps).
Old 14 September 2005, 20:46   #20
oldpx

Yes probably I did misunderstand, no hard feelings though.