English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 26 March 2005, 04:36   #1
Pink

Manuals Are Fun!

Hiya all.

This is my first post on an Amiga board, so go easy!

I just rebought an amiga recently - knowing I haven't played games and had much fun with them for years. I grew up with my brother's Amiga and thought it was awesomeness, but I was expecting a sack of poo to replace my memories.

I was really pleased when I found everything was still the same! The games are a little wackier, the gameplay just the right amount of complex, this was the stuff I remember. Back when strategy games were complex and fighting games were simple (like they should be!). Stoopid 10 hit combos. It's not right.

But here comes the scary part. Manuals! I'd almost forgot about matching the little pictures and typing in codes to get into my games. It's like an annoying mini-game of jeopardy only without the cash prizes. Argh!

I used to like reading the old manuals - I probably did more reading than I ever did playing but with hind sight there was good reason for that. It reminds me when I used to have to get my brother's F-15 Strike Eagle game booting - he lost the manual so he would get me to type in 'Maverick' continiously till it loaded. I hated my brother.

Anyways, I'm off. I have to find my annoying Elvira documentation and work out what stuntman bat means or something.

'Lecia
Old 26 March 2005, 05:09   #2
woody57

Eek Not just manuals

Remember the magic wheel for " ZOOL" I don't know did they delberatly print the wrong colours on it ? [ maybe mine is just so old now its faded LOL]

However you will find the WHD load packs [ direct loading from you HD] have most of these old protection bits removed to save hassle

Or would that spoil the game for you

http://deadwoodinc.net/killergorilla
Old 26 March 2005, 06:22   #3
Pink

Oh gee I remember playing with those little code wheel things. They were always half transparent, too. I'm positive it was a conspiracy to make everyone with a computer seem geekier than they really were.

And finding codes is fun in a kinda painful way - sort of like recognizing your parents at a Kenny G concert.

'Lecia