English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Amiga Forever

Old 06 June 2016, 20:30   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Added a System But Now It Takes a Long Time to Boot Up..?

Added my A1200 CF as a HDF image,but now it take about 3 or 4 minutes to boot up.
Once its booted it all ok but just take a long time to boot,anyone know why..?

What have have I done wrong..??

I don't want to use WinUAE cos I just bought this and want it to boot from a CD via Linux.

Last edited by spannernick; 06 June 2016 at 20:41.
Old 05 July 2016, 18:03   #2
hedders
Bumbling Newb

Is the HDD set to be embedded in the Amiga Forever file? That can be super slow. It's better to have it point to an external file.

If you right-click the machine and choose Edit... then have a look at the properties of the HDD it should tell you.

Hope this helps.
Old 05 July 2016, 20:27   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I don't want to use WinUAE cos I just bought this
...but the main component of Amiga Forever is WinUAE is it not?

Without WinUAE and Toni's hard work...

I still don't understand why people would purchase / use Amiga Forever. Ok, if you want a front-end then use GameBase Amiga with WinUAE
Old 05 July 2016, 20:46   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Or FS-UAE Launcher+Online database account. This is so much better than Amiga Forever.
Old 05 July 2016, 21:46   #5
DamienD
Banned

...or GameBase, or anything else than Amiga Forever
Old 06 July 2016, 16:02   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Amiga Forever is for users who just want the emulator to work out of the box without setting everything up.
Of course not everyone needs this or seemingly understands this.
Don't forget that without AmigaForever there is no legal way of using the kickstart roms. Whether you agree with this is or not is irrelivant, it's a fact.
Old 06 July 2016, 16:31   #7
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Maybe, personally i give a shit about legal roms. Workbenches is something different but Kickstart roms should be free, like the ST TOS roms. If i remember right Toni said years ago that Cloanto would give them away for free but couldn't do it legally. Now they own all the rights though.

FS-UAE and Game Base Amiga are pretty easy to setup. Then everything works out of the box too.
Old 06 July 2016, 21:34   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Maybe, personally i give a shit about legal roms. Workbenches is something different but Kickstart roms should be free, like the ST TOS roms. If i remember right Toni said years ago that Cloanto would give them away for free but couldn't do it legally. Now they own all the rights though.
Like I said, irrelevant.

Quote:
FS-UAE and Game Base Amiga are pretty easy to setup. Then everything works out of the box too.
You're a funny guy Retro

Anyway, lets get this back on topic
Old 08 July 2016, 12:09   #9
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...but the main component of Amiga Forever is WinUAE is it not?

Without WinUAE and Toni's hard work...

I still don't understand why people would purchase / use Amiga Forever. Ok, if you want a front-end then use GameBase Amiga with WinUAE
I didn't know there was a GameBase Amiga,I thought there was just Gamebase 64..??

Oh Its called MAGE on here,don't you thing the name should be changed to Gamebase Amiga..? Its confusing,that why I did know about it..http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Last edited by spannernick; 08 July 2016 at 12:39.
Old 08 July 2016, 12:14   #10
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I didn't know there was a GameBase Amiga,I thought there was just Gamebase 64..??

Oh Its called MAGE on here,don't you thing the name should be changed the Gamebase Amiga..? http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76
Most files you need are also on the EAB File server under here:

...thanks to Mr GameBase Amiga i.e. Belgarath

There's also the official website here: http://gbamiga.elowar.com/

Finally, there's the dedicated forum / threads here: http://www.gamebase64.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
Old 08 July 2016, 12:27   #11
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

The OP has gone OT and derailed his own thread, whatever next!!
Old 08 July 2016, 15:07   #12
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
The OP has gone OT and derailed his own thread, whatever next!!

LOL..
Old 08 July 2016, 15:16   #13
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:

I brought the Basic version,just to add stuff to it but do have the key for the plus version too,don't know why I brought it,I agree I always wish that the Workbenches and kickstarts were free and should be.

Anyhoo I am using my A1200 with my Gotek now to play games,not using AF ATM,but thanks for the replys.
Old 09 July 2016, 15:21   #14
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
I brought the Basic version,just to add stuff to it but do have the key for the plus version too,don't know why I brought it,I agree I always wish that the Workbenches and kickstarts were free and should be.
If all opinions regarding the respect of ownership rights can be freely expressed then I would simply hope that people would say "I am entitled to get xyz for free", which is at least more honest than "xyz should be free" when the person speaking has an interest in the matter.

Many people would wish a lot things to be free, but frankly, as bad as copyright terms are, you do not want to live in a world where rights are not respected because this also means that other people can make arbitrary decisions about _your_rights too. Like sell your work on eBay without your permission.

If we want our rights to be respected then we should wish others rights to be respected too, even if they are horrible persons.

Moreover, frankly, paying once and for all for AmigaForever is really a good bargain for infinite access to all ROMs and WBs.