English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 02 February 2019, 20:03   #1
pubzombie

Picture distortion A1200 scart

Hi guys.
Apologies to admins if this in wrong place - please move if so

I’m using a scart on my main 1200 and getting screen distortion. This only happens on certain games. Alien Breed is a big issue one - the top few inches of the screen distorts and wobbles in a wave like motion often in time to music and sometimes the picture blinks. Like disappears for a split second. I also get this screen wobble as the 1200 boots up but then it’s stable.
It’s like it’s some sort of interference.
Any ideas what this is and how to stop it please?
Thank u for your time

Steve
Old 02 February 2019, 22:45   #2
Daedalus

Sounds like a potential issue with the sync signal. What SCART lead are you using? Do you know if it has the additional resistors required by many newer TVs?
Old 03 February 2019, 05:33   #3
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Sounds like a potential issue with the sync signal. What SCART lead are you using? Do you know if it has the additional resistors required by many newer TVs?
Hi Daedalus. I have 2 starts. One I purchased about a decade ago. This is the one that distorts in some games. Another I picked up the other day but blinks on and off. It goes from workbench to black screen every second or so. I have no idea what’s in them in terms of resistors.
Cheers man
Steve
Old 03 February 2019, 13:38   #4
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Hi Daedalus. I have 2 starts. One I purchased about a decade ago. This is the one that distorts in some games. Another I picked up the other day but blinks on and off. It goes from workbench to black screen every second or so. I have no idea what’s in them in terms of resistors.
Cheers man
Steve

I had this issue on my CD32, turned out to be PSU related. I was testing a newer PSU. Ended up trashing my scart cable trying to figure out why.

Put scart back to as it was, then for some reason I changed back to my stock CD32 PSU and black screen every two secs went away (may be PSU sync was wrong).
Another thing you can try with scart that goes black every few seconds, is switch to input or tv station that has a signal, wait a few secs, then switch back to scart. This would seem to settle it until Amiga was reset.
Old 03 February 2019, 14:13   #5
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I had this issue on my CD32, turned out to be PSU related. I was testing a newer PSU. Ended up trashing my scart cable trying to figure out why.

Put scart back to as it was, then for some reason I changed back to my stock CD32 PSU and black screen every two secs went away (may be PSU sync was wrong).
Another thing you can try with scart that goes black every few seconds, is switch to input or tv station that has a signal, wait a few secs, then switch back to scart. This would seem to settle it until Amiga was reset.
Thanx FOL - will try when i get home. Ive been using the same PSU for years its an old ATX psu that was professionally done for an amiga as my old original PSUs all died. The only thing thats changed in years is I now use a LOGIK flatscreen TV (cheap as chips) rather than an old cathode tube portable - simply for the space needed.
Is there a modern monitor that is worth getting for the A1200 that will work straight out the box so to say?
Steve
Old 03 February 2019, 18:10   #6
xubidoo

im told that a Dell u2410 24" are very good when used with a scart > hdmi converter.

altho be aware thats wat ive heard, so if you buy 1 and its useless im holding no responsibility lol

Old 03 February 2019, 23:16   #7
Daedalus

The voltages provided for certain switching signals by the Amiga aren't suitable for some modern TVs, causing issues something like what you're seeing with both cables. Without cracking open the connectors or using a multimeter to measure the lines it's difficult to say - have you got a link to the recent one you bought?

Yep, PSU would be where I looked next too.

The Dell U2410 doesn't need a SCART - HDMI converter (though you could use one if you liked). It supports 15KHz RGB natively. However, they're getting expensive and hard to find these days as they're quite sought after and the later models don't live up to the standard it set.

A cheap option is the Benq BL702A, a 17" monitor that also works out of the box with an RGB-VGA cable. It also has a 19" sister, the Benq BL912 that works similarly well. Neither are as good a picture as you'll get from the U2410, or a CRT for that matter, but they do a reasonable job.

Last edited by Daedalus; 03 February 2019 at 23:29. Reason: Rearranged for clarity
Old 04 February 2019, 17:52   #8
pubzombie

Quote:
The voltages provided for certain switching signals by the Amiga aren't suitable for some modern TVs, causing issues something like what you're seeing with both cables. Without cracking open the connectors or using a multimeter to measure the lines it's difficult to say - have you got a link to the recent one you bought?

Yep, PSU would be where I looked next too.

The Dell U2410 doesn't need a SCART - HDMI converter (though you could use one if you liked). It supports 15KHz RGB natively. However, they're getting expensive and hard to find these days as they're quite sought after and the later models don't live up to the standard it set.

A cheap option is the Benq BL702A, a 17" monitor that also works out of the box with an RGB-VGA cable. It also has a 19" sister, the Benq BL912 that works similarly well. Neither are as good a picture as you'll get from the U2410, or a CRT for that matter, but they do a reasonable job.
Hi Daedelus,
link as follows -
http://amigakit.amiga.store/product_...roducts_id=226
The older one I have is also from the same guys - I got it in 2009 if memory serves me correct.
Just for the record - Ive never had an issue with anything from these guys and not complaining just trying to understand whats going on tech wise. Ive always had a positive experience with them and they've been a pleasure to deal with.
Steve
Old 04 February 2019, 19:07   #9
Daedalus

No, that's fine, at least the new one you have should be the correct spec then, if not both of them.
Old 04 February 2019, 22:02   #10
pubzombie

Quote:
No, that's fine, at least the new one you have should be the correct spec then, if not both of them.
Need to try another tv I think
Old 04 September 2020, 20:11   #11
MrDBUG

Hello ! Did you ever resolve this issue ? I have the same now with a SCART TV. But two different PSUs, but an A-power from Vesalia and a new ICOMP CA-PSU so I would hope it was not any relation to them !