English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 September 2020, 13:41   #41
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool, yes ODAMEX should be much better for you

No idea if it's possible to convert the saved games, probably not possible unless you can find some utility.
The SDL music is great but it causes the game (and the OS) to freeze at times. In my case, turning it off in options cleans that issue up.

I have an odd issue in which trying to run the game from a fresh startup of FS-UAE will either crash FS-UAE or freeze at a black screen before it ever enters the game. I'm trying out turning off closewb to see if that might improve this issue. It's very random.

Otherwise, once I can get it up and running, the game play is flawless and the framerate is excellent. There is none of that occasional frame-skipping or SFX sound chopping I experienced in ZDoom while playing Doom2.

I need to read back over this thread again and I don't recall it being addressed in the docs but I tried loading Heretic and Hexex wads and the game crashed even if I additionally set nomusic. Am I correct in presuming they and other game wads aren't supported? I couldn't get them to load in ZDoom either, however, and I believe they are supported in that port so the issue is likely on my end.
Old 19 September 2020, 13:54   #42
NovaCoder

Great, glad it's working well for you

No both of my ports ZDOOM/ODAMEX are based on old versions so they don't support HEXEN/HERITIC WADS that the newer releases support, my builds only DOOM WADS.

These were the newest versions that I could get working properly on 68k.
Old 19 September 2020, 14:13   #43
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Great, glad it's working well for you

No both of my ports ZDOOM/ODAMEX are based on old versions so they don't support HEXEN/HERITIC WADS that the newer releases support, my builds only DOOM WADS.

These were the newest versions that I could get working properly on 68k.
Understood and thanks for the reply. Unsetting closewb seems to have cleaned-up the random crashes at game startup. I remembered that this had worked in early versions of AmiQuake RTG. With newer builds it isn't necessary and AmiQuake runs like a charm.

Again I thank you for all the time over the years you've put into these remarkable ports of Doom, Duke, and Quake.
Old 21 September 2020, 09:43   #44
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@Novacoder

I'm going to bother you with one last issue. When I run with music on (you just can't beat the .ogg soundtrack for Doom II, and I usually find music distracting) I get random freezes in the game - I mean it requires a reboot.

I'm suspicious that the culprit may be the .ogg files and not ODAMEX. I say this because the error message written to ERROR.TXT reads "W_GetNumForName: STDISK not found!" whenever I get a lock-up.

I had to download 3 different .ogg music archives to find one that actually worked. With the music files in the 2 others, Console reported it tried to load them but failed.

So the third time was a charm - sort of. Anyway, does the ERROR.TXT message make sense? I'm wondering if I should just create an ASSIGN for "STDISK." Thanks.
Old 21 September 2020, 10:44   #45
NovaCoder

I'll take a look and see what I can find out, where did you download the ogg files from?

These ones seem to work okay for me?

http://sc55.duke4.net/
Old 21 September 2020, 11:35   #46
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
I'll take a look and see what I can find out, where did you download the ogg files from?

I'll check it out. I tried making an Assign for "STDISK" but it didn't correct the issue, not that I expected it to. I wanted to eliminate it as a possibility.

Otherwise, ODAMEX is working with Doom 2 extremely well and I'm very pleased.
Old 21 September 2020, 16:34   #47
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:

They appear to be working well for me also. I enjoyed long gameplay without the freezing earlier. It also appears to be a more complete set than I had.

I think I'm finally there with an all-around great port for FS-UAE.
Old 22 September 2020, 15:40   #48
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@Novacoder

Just a follow-up if you're curious. Very occasionally with SDL Music the game will temporarily freeze but only for a few seconds and never fatally, recovering quickly. I've been playing a LOT and as reported earlier, I'm tickled pink to have such a great Doom port.

I'm a little confused about the state of network play with ODAMEX. The readme file says as follows:

"Odamex is a modification of DOOM to allow players to compete with each other over the Internet using the client/server architecture."

However, further down it reads:

"Limitations:

1) No network or multi-player support"

Am I misinterpreting the apparent contradiction? Does this mean Internet play is possible but not (intra)network play?

This is seriously the best all-around Doom port for FS-UAE. Its widescreen play is absolutely superior to that offered by ZDoom under UAEGFX and Picasso96.
Old 22 September 2020, 16:20   #49
NovaCoder

Glad you like it, yep the most advanced 68k DOOM port to date

No network support I'm afraid, none of my ports ever had network support because I figured it was pretty much pointless to add it.
Old 23 September 2020, 20:35   #50
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Glad you like it, yep the most advanced 68k DOOM port to date
I forgot one bit of weirdness that I wanted to note: There is missing info on the statistics/score page upon completing a level: Time is listed as :00. No biggie, I already know it takes me forever at my age to finally complete a level - I don't need to know how slow I am.
Old 24 September 2020, 22:33   #51
apex

Odamex is not working here. Files are loading, screen is getting black and Vampire is resetting.
Old 25 September 2020, 01:16   #52
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex View Post
Odamex is not working here. Files are loading, screen is getting black and Vampire is resetting.
It must be a vampire issue, works fine under winuae

You are using the latest aminet release?

RTG or AGA version?

Last edited by NovaCoder; 25 September 2020 at 01:42.
Old 25 September 2020, 09:28   #53
apex

ODAMEX v0.6.4 ported to Amiga 68k

Latest Aminet package, RTG version. Copied doom2.wad into Odamex folder, changed tooltypes in the icon to load iwad and included wad + deh file.

This is your first game not working here, but I have ZDoom and others...
Old 25 September 2020, 09:48   #54
NovaCoder

Try uncomenting the Tooltypes, just go with the default (blank)

Nothing written to error.txt in the ODAMEX folder?
Old 01 October 2020, 06:46   #55
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

@NovaCoder

Is there a console command to show FPS? I've tried the documented commands such as "cl_showFPS 1" or "vid_showFPS 1" or "Com: ShowFPS 1" and neither can I find the "show metrics" option under "Options." I searched EAB as well. Is there a way to show framerate? Thanks!
Old 01 October 2020, 08:24   #56
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselrama View Post
@NovaCoder

Is there a console command to show FPS? I've tried the documented commands such as "cl_showFPS 1" or "vid_showFPS 1" or "Com: ShowFPS 1" and neither can I find the "show metrics" option under "Options." I searched EAB as well. Is there a way to show framerate? Thanks!
Hi,

Nope I took it out (disabled) for extra speed, that also explains why you get 0.0 for the time it takes to complete a level.

Last edited by NovaCoder; 01 October 2020 at 12:00.
Old 01 October 2020, 08:50   #57
Weaselrama
Registered Voter

Quote:
Hi,

Nope I took it out (disabled) for extra speed, that also explains the why you get 0.0 for the time it takes to complete a level.
Understood, thanks for the quick reply.