English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 December 2002, 22:58   #1
NytroX86

Which Sensi?

It seems there are alot of Sensible Soccer/SWOS versions to choose from, and I'd rather not get them all right away so I'm asking the members of this board to tell me which Sensi soccer is best. I know its a hard question and it may fall down to personal preference (e.g., your team was good a version) so if you answer with a recommendation try to give some reasons. As you might have sussed by now I'm an Everton supporter so at the moment I'm drawn to the season after Everton won the FA cup, cos maybe they had a good team then.

Old 10 December 2002, 03:54   #2
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Sensible World of Soccer, because it just has the perfect gameplay. The latest edition, because I like my teams to be as up to date as possible.
Old 10 December 2002, 05:43   #3
Amiga1992

Rack up another vote for Sensible World of Soccer... I just *love* being able to pick up *any* team from *any league* around the world, including second divisions! Gameplay-wise it's a bit better too, IMO.
Old 10 December 2002, 09:32   #4
manicx

None. KICK OFF 2 RULEZ!
Old 10 December 2002, 15:03   #5
blackcornflake

The question of there being a 'best' version of Sensible Soccer (or SWOS) is a separate matter to that of a specific team or player being better or worse in any particular version.

For each update, players and teams were revaluated in real life by researchers, with the relative skills and weaknesses of their SWOS counterparts being based thereon. The focus of research seems to have been on the main footballing nations, and so players in less prominent leagues tend to be generalised somewhat.

Fluctuations in players' abilities and careers are on the whole accurately reflected, as is the overall strength of sides, whether club or national. So if you want to play as Everton at their strongest, 1996/97 is probably the edition.

The major difference between Sensible Soccer and SWOS is the expansion of the management element. In SWOS, one can play a 20 year career game, wherein one can buy and sell players, switch clubs, and even progress to national management and pick a squad. There is an option to purely manage matches, in place of actually playing them.

A noticeable, but subtle, global change between different editions is in the gameplay during matches, regardless of the team controlled. A basic guideline is that the later the edition, the slicker the play. Player ball control is generally better, passing is more flexible, the computer controls outfield players more intelligently, etc. That is not to say that the first Sensi Soccer plays badly; just differently. I recommend trying a few versions for yourself and deciding which you prefer.

Only ever played Kick Off 2 once myself. Didn't like it.
Old 10 December 2002, 16:53   #6
manicx

KO2 is not for runty SWOS players!
Old 10 December 2002, 21:00   #7
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

SWOS

1st there was SS, then there was SS euro edition, then there was SWOS.

Teams got updated, fine. But, SWOS, bottle of Jack, bunch of mates, Friday night, match winner gets to drink shot of Jack. Makes Vinne Jones v's Gassa look like a Junior school kick about... and gives you a very late night.
Old 12 December 2002, 16:23   #8
blackcornflake

Indeed, Syko. Although that sounds like a tea party by the standards of me and my Sensi buddies.

Anyway. I have done some research about which version contains the stronger Everton. Hope this salves the curiosity of NytroX86 and anyone who may be losing sleep over it.

95/96: Total Value 22.50m

96/97: Total Value 32.45m

I considered posting the entire squads, but thought that excessive.
Old 12 December 2002, 17:57   #9
NytroX86

Thank you blackcornflake . So is 96/97 available as a standalone game, or is it an add-on?

Old 12 December 2002, 18:32   #10
blackcornflake

It is available in both forms. If memory serves, the 96/97 upgrade came out slightly earlier and cost less than the standalone, but obviously required a previous SWOS version to function.
Old 12 December 2002, 20:16   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Re: Which Sensi?

Quote:
1st there was SS, then there was SS euro edition, then there was SWOS.
Actually, first there was Sensible Soccer in 1992, then Sensible Soccer 1.1 in 1993, then Sensible Soccer International in 1994 (also called Sensible Soccer World Cup Edition), then came SWOS.