English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 September 2007, 00:58   #1
HogWild

Help - Joystick Converter

Hi,

I've looked into Amiga Joystick converters but can't find any and my modern pc doesn't have a gameport or a parellel port. I also cannot solder to save my life.

Would these two items be able to combine to make a usb controller adaptor for two amiga joysticks?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-USB-to-36-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Amiga-parallel...QQcmdZViewItem

If not has anyone got an idea of how to do it?
Old 04 September 2007, 01:32   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@HogWild

Hello there, welcome to the EAB, i am sure you will like it here...

I have been realizing some hardware from raphnet to allow amiga - (2 fire button) joystick to PC via usb

have a lookie at this thread...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31515

I will refine my take on raphs design a bit more over the next couple of days, but you can buy the kits directly from the guy.

I have some components (well i have a sh*t load in fact) comming from futurelec and from a friend overseas so i may have one or two to sell on... we willl have to see...
Old 04 September 2007, 01:39   #3
HogWild

Thanks for that. Looks pretty good. Only problem is that it is a bit pricey and is located in the USA.

Would my crude idea not work?
Old 04 September 2007, 01:51   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@HogWild

I honestly do not know... I believe that the Amiga parallel port and the PC are not electrically compatible ? hmmm been a while since i made a parnet lead LOL

eitherway you would have to write a driver for windows to *see and *use the joystick dongle.... this would be awkward.... your best and safest bet would be to convert a joystick directly to the 15pin GAME PORT you may even be able to get two joysticks on there.. I will have a look into this... I know its a simple pin conversion for most PC Gameport joysticks for the amiga, so in reverse it shoudln't be to difficult.... hmmmies..... there is limmited support for WinXP non-plug and play on the Game port.... well.... something for me to read at lunch tomorrow
Old 04 September 2007, 10:35   #5
P-J

To the original poster... Couldn't you just use this?

http://www.cables2u.co.uk/female-pri...FRcGEgodi07IZw

If it's like the serial -> USB cables, it should just add an LPT port to your machine enabling you to use parallel port stuff. I say it should since if it's backwards compatible it will need to.

Surely a safer option than your idea?

P.S. I'm just down the road from you in Leam
Old 04 September 2007, 12:21   #6
HogWild

Thanks PJ.

Yeh I thought all parallel ports had the same amount of pins but the one I showed had too many. So if I used the Amiga 4 player adaptor into one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-to-Paralle...QQcmdZViewItem

then I could use PPJoy to get it to work in WINUAE?

http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/PPJoy.htm

I'm just going by what Korodny said in another post. He said -

"If you own a 4-player adaptor for your Amiga, you can simply plug it into you PC's parallel port and connect one or two digital joysticks to it. The neccessary drivers are available here."
Old 04 September 2007, 12:30   #7
P-J

I short, I think so!

What you've got to understand is this... With 'serial to USB' adapters, you get a similar cable with a serial port on the end rather than parallel. You then install a driver (or maybe your OS already has one?) that creates a 'COM' port. This 'COM' port that appears in your device manager (if you're using Windows) is just like a 'real' one, so software can't tell the difference and that means almost any software can use it like a real serial port.

Now, I'm presuming that this parallel one creates an 'LPT' port so it's compatible with any software/hardware that uses a parallel port, but not having one of adapters like you've mentioned, I can't be sure.

Can anyone who owns one of these USB/Parallel shed any light?

To be honest I'd say it's pretty likely to work, but be prepared for the small chance that it doesn't-- I'd definitely say it's 100% more likely than your crazy idea in the original post

(Also, bear in mind that the driver is 99% responsible for the operation, so you're relying on software a lot!)

//edit :

In the e-Bay post, there is this :

Quote:
Driver CD available on request for Windows 98Se or ME users
Which shows that Windows 2000 and XP probably have drivers already, and I'd imagine the drivers function is to expose a virtual LPT port, which is what you want
Old 04 September 2007, 12:56   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Unfortunately you are still going to need a driver for the joystick. all windows will see is a parallel port... nothing more... using non-pnp game controllers I seriously doubt will help.

by far the most effective method is to get a dsub E9 to USB, the controller chip sets its self up using pre-established Linux / MS Game controller in-built software.

IF the paralell dongle doesn`t blow the port (I would be cautious TBQH) you would still need to write a driver so you could use the joysticks on the parallel port.
Old 04 September 2007, 12:59   #9
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
Unfortunately you are still going to need a driver for the joystick. all windows will see is a parallel port... nothing more... using non-pnp game controllers I seriously doubt will help.
No, but if you read carefully he understands that PPJoy will be required, and if PPJoy is happy with the parallel port, he'll be in business.
Old 04 September 2007, 13:23   #10
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Now, I'm presuming that this parallel one creates an 'LPT' port so it's compatible with any software/hardware that uses a parallel port, but not having one of adapters like you've mentioned, I can't be sure.
And there's the rub, these adapters are not 100% compatible, I know for a fact that they fail when connected to some license dongles (meaning they don't work not that they blow up )

It might work but a far easier way to go (for about the same money) would be to buy a cheap PCI parallel card and the parallel to joystick lead OR alternatively keep bugging Zetr0 until he builds you a USB to joystick box (j/k )
Old 04 September 2007, 13:25   #11
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@OddbOd

Components are a-comming.... I checked with futurelec....

sooon my world dommination will be complete!
Old 04 September 2007, 13:36   #12
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
And there's the rub, these adapters are not 100% compatible, I know for a fact that they fail when connected to some license dongles (meaning they don't work not that they blow up )
Yeah, it's a tricky one, but might be worth a punt for the original poster. It's not a huge amount of money and there is a chance it'll work. It's often just as much the shitty software as the shitty hardware

Quote:
It might work but a far easier way to go (for about the same money) would be to buy a cheap PCI parallel card and the parallel to joystick lead OR alternatively keep bugging Zetr0 until he builds you a USB to joystick box (j/k )
Yeah, but this doesn't work for laptop users who are least likely to have a parallel port-- Would be nice if someone could confirm whether this works with the USB -> Parallel jobby so we know for sure
Old 04 September 2007, 13:43   #13
OddbOd

Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you, I just thought it was worth pointing out an obvious solution that hadn't been mentioned yet.
Old 04 September 2007, 13:50   #14
laser
Banned

btw,

here is my old amiga 2 button joystick converted to pc
I connected a male db25 parallel connector to the end of the cable..it's the best solution

I use ppjoy as driver for winxp...it works great..schematics can be found under ppjoy archive

bye
Old 04 September 2007, 14:06   #15
P-J

^^^ Wow, I think this guy REALLY missed the point of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
Don't get me wrong I totally agree with you, I just thought it was worth pointing out an obvious solution that hadn't been mentioned yet.
Yeh, you're right. I think a PCI card is a decent solution too, but if this USB jobby works with joysticks then it's pretty decent.

But until someone takes a punt we never know
Old 04 September 2007, 19:09   #16
HogWild

Cheers for all the help everyone.

Funny thing is i've just noticed my other PC has a parellel port so I think I'll just get the adaptor.

Send us a message when you've made some adaptors though Zetro, I might have to get one for my laptop.
Old 04 September 2007, 19:36   #17
laser
Banned

the other way to make an old joystick to work on a pc is disarm a cheap usb pad ...add some bridges to the old joystick....leaving the usb board inside the old joystick....

as result you get an old but usb joystick....and that's not much complicated
Old 04 September 2007, 20:40   #18
Skylight
Crazy Collector

USB to digital joystick adapters are available at eBay ...
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=160153645288

They are more expensive than a few years ago, but they got a build in auto fire feature now. Useful if u use joysticks without auto fire.

But u must ask the seller if he can send it to foreign countries too.

These adapters are plug'n'play (tested with WinXP) and will add a 2 button 2 axis joystick to ur hardware configuration. But for 2 joysticks u need 2 adapters!

I did use the older versions with Competition Pro and Quickjoy SV124 and SV126 (Jetfighter) joysticks and it always worked pretty well.

Ciao, Rick ...

btw ... never use a commercial USB to LPT adapter for anything else than a printer! There is a 99.9% chance it will not work. Eprommers for instance will never work with these adapters.
But Henrik Haftmann had a project with a much more promising parallel port adapter.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha...%20PC/USB2LPT/
(use the "English Translation" button in the left corner if u can't read german)

Last edited by Skylight; 04 September 2007 at 20:49.
Old 04 September 2007, 21:24   #19
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylight View Post
USB to digital joystick adapters are available at eBay ...
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=160153645288

They are more expensive than a few years ago, but they got a build in auto fire feature now. Useful if u use joysticks without auto fire.

But u must ask the seller if he can send it to foreign countries too.

These adapters are plug'n'play (tested with WinXP) and will add a 2 button 2 axis joystick to ur hardware configuration. But for 2 joysticks u need 2 adapters!

I did use the older versions with Competition Pro and Quickjoy SV124 and SV126 (Jetfighter) joysticks and it always worked pretty well.

Ciao, Rick ...

btw ... never use a commercial USB to LPT adapter for anything else than a printer! There is a 99.9% chance it will not work. Eprommers for instance will never work with these adapters.
But Henrik Haftmann had a project with a much more promising parallel port adapter.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/
(use the "English Translation" button in the left corner if u can't read german)
you can buy a cheap usb pad instead ....for 2 or 3 dollars....these comes with usb cable...the board is small also.....that's better and cheaper and easy

bye
Old 04 September 2007, 21:28   #20
HogWild

Good idea laser but I prefer something that's already made. I don't want to have to modify or mess with something.

Nice find Skylight, might get one of them when I have a bit more cash.